Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

13 Top Salaries From Obscure Pro Sports

QuotaMan

http://www.totalprosports.com/2011/10/14/13-top-salaries-from-obscure-pro-sports/

Last week, Total Pro Sports brought you a list of the highest athlete salaries in 2011. Not surprisingly, all the top salaries came from only four of the world’s most popular pro sports—boxing, baseball, basketball, and auto racing. But this left me wondering: what about the lesser known pro sports?

So, I did a little digging, and today I have for you a list of the top salaries of obscure pro sports. However, I didn’t order this list simply according to the size of the salary. That would be kind of boring when talking about sports you didn’t even know people get paid to play.

Instead, I’ve ranked the entries on this list according to the disparity between the size of the salary and the obscurity of the sport. Which is just a fancier way of saying, I ranked them according to how surprised I was by the size of their salary, given the sport they play. So my methods, as always, are pretty scientific.

Anyway…enjoy!

13. Phillip Dalhausser/Tedd Rogers – Beach Volleyball – $387,700
phil-dalhausser-and-tedd-rogers-e1318605
Beach Volleyball isn’t that obscure. It’s always one of the most popular events at the Summer Olympics (though, the bikini-clad women are the bigger draw). Still, it’s not particularly popular as a pro sport. You might catch a tournament here or there on ESPN 2 at 11AM on a Wednesday, but that’s about it. And yet American duo managed to pull in over three-hundred grand last year. That’s almost as much as the minimum salary for a Major League Baseball player!

12. Kelly Slater – Surfing – $516,000
kelly-slater-surfing-e1318605324986.jpg
Just so we’re clear, Florida native Kelly Slater is a dude. A surfer dude, to be precise. And he’s doing well for himself. In fact, half a million is just about what I would have expected for the top pro surfer, which is why Kelly only ranks #12 on this list. He also makes a good chunk of change on endorsements and has a super hot girlfriend. So it definitely wouldn’t suck to be Kelly Slater these days. (Plus, do you get to see stuff like this when you go to work?)

11. Tim Don – Triathlon – $223,600
tim-don-triathalon-e1318605399545.jpg
This one is kind of mysterious. British triathlete Tim Don has never been ranked higher than #3 in the world, and he did that only once. In 2010 he finished 15th, and yet somehow he on top of the money list with over two-hundred grand. I guess he won the events with the biggest purses. Still, doesn’t really seem fair, does it?

10. Kane Waselenchuk – Racquetball – $300,000
kane-weselenchuk-racquetball.jpg
Where, exactly, is professional racquetball a popular sport? I assumed maybe in Europe or Asia, but all of the major events seem to be held in North America. That includes the most prestigious event, the U.S. Open, which is held in Minneapolis.

In any case, Canadian Kane Waselenchuk is the top-earning racquetball player in the world these days, pulling in a decent $300,000. (This figure, unlike the others presented here, is actually the sum of his winnings, appearance fees, and endorsements. So Waselenchuk’s salaryis probably more like $150,000-$200,000.)

9. Darren Appleton – Billiards – $118,494
darren-appleton-e1318605444129.jpg
With many or most of the sports on this list, it would almost seem like a waste to put so much hard work and effort into earning such paltry salaries. Sure, you can make $500,000 surfing, but how much of that do you have to spend on travel and other expenses? A whole lot, I’m guessing. And then one day you’ll be too old to make money surfing, and what will you have? (Sorry, Kelly Slater.)

But with billiards it’s different. You can afford to make only $118,494 because the expenses are low relative to other sports, and you can be competitive well into your 50s or 60s (as long as you don’t get early onset arthritis). So Darren Appleton here might be okay.

8. Nick Matthew – Squash – $166,929
nick-matthew-squash-2.jpg
I thought squash was just some game that rich people played as “the club.” I had no idea there was a Professional Squash Association (PSA) and a Women’s International Squash Players Association (WISPA). But there is. And ss top dog Nick Matthew shows, you can’t count of squash to make you rich. So I guess you’d better be playing for the love of the game.

7. Trevor Brazile – Rodeo – $507,920
trevor-brazile-rodeo-e1318605501291.jpg
I think I expected the top-earners from the world of Rodeo to earn a little more than this. The sport is pretty popular in certain regions (like Texas and Calgary), and the costs involved—well-bred horses and lots and lots of cattle—are pretty high. How much of that $507,920 does Texan Trevor Brazile get to put in the bank at the end of the year?

6. Renato Nunes – Bull Riding – $1,594,527
renato-nunes-e1318605522174.jpg
For most people, bull riding is a bit of a novelty. You see people do it on TV, or you hear about bars that have mechanical bull contests, but you kind of forget that this is an actual sport people pay money to watch. So that’s why bull riding ranks to high on the list. It’s certainly not because Brazilian Renato Nunes didn’t earn every penny of that $1.5 million. He most definitely did.

5. Hakuho – Sumo – $400,000
hakuho.jpg
See, now I thought the top-earning Sumo wrestler would make a hell of a lot more money that this. Though it’s totally a novelty here (like Rodeo), isn’t Sumo kind of a big deal in Japan? You’d think the top sumo wrestler could at least clear $1,000,000. After all, the average salary of a baseball player in Japan is about $450,000. And if they paid them more, maybe Sumo wrestlers wouldn’t have to resort to stealing ATMs.

4. Walter Ray Williams, Jr. – Bowling – $152,670
walter-ray-williams-jr-e1318605579116.jp
Given how much bowling is on TV compared to some of the other sports on this list (like Triathalon), I expected the top-earning pro bowler to be pulling down at least a quarter million, but probably something more along the lines of half a million. Now, I’m sure Walter Ray also has a solid income from endorsements; nevertheless, his actually salary seems shockingly low to me.

3. John Baker – Dog Sledding – $50,400
John-Baker-Iditarod-Press.jpg
John Baker’s $50,400 dog sledding salary ranks 3rd on this list because it’s surprising in a couple different ways.

On the one hand, it’s rather amazing that you can make any kind of living on dog sledding. Everyone’s heard of the Iditarod, but no one knows when it is or who the hell has won it. On the other hand, it’s hard to believe people can afford to compete professionally when making only $50,000 a year.

Then again, all the competitions take place in Alaska and northern Canada, so the travel expenses would be relatively low. And you can probably get sponsors to give you dog food, so that takes care of another $10,000 in expenses. So given the low cost of living in the regions where these folks live, I guess they can get by pretty well on fifty grand.

2. Joey Chestnut – Major League Eating – $218,500
joey-chestnut-competitive-eater-e1318605
Is competitive eating a sport? My instinct says not, but ESPN says yes. And who am I to argue with ESPN?

In any case, I was absolutely shocked to learn than you can make this much money by making a complete ass out of yourself on a regular basis. But hey, whatever floats your boat, Joey Chestnut.

1. Phil Taylor – Darts – $1,044,000
phil-taylor-darts.jpg
British darts champ Phil Taylor made a million bucks in 2010. That just blows my mind. Who knew spending too much time at the pub could become so lucrative?

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

interesting read thanks .     

Only in America could eating be considered a "sport "        Do they have a competition called the East to West coast World Championship ,where only Yanks compete ? 

Darts for sure is a pub game a bit like pool , but Phil Taylor is very very good .

Dog Sledding and Rodeo ?  well .......     :SoWhat1:    

Mikeyboy

Only in America could eating be considered a "sport "        Do they have a competition called the East to West coast World Championship ,where only Yanks compete ? 

Darts for sure is a pub game a bit like pool , but Phil Taylor is very very good .

Mikeyboy

I don't consider eating a sport but just to correct you its not "Only in America" prior to Joey Chestnut becoming the champ it was held by a skinny Japanese guy for several years. Its world wide even in Britten.

I don't consider eating a sport but just to correct you its not "Only in America" prior to Joey Chestnut becoming the champ it was held by a skinny Japanese guy for several years. Its world wide even in Britten.

Thanks for the update , whenever i hear of extremes i nearly always associate with America ,  guess it's silly to generalize too much .

Not sure where Britten is .

Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy

.......and Bull riding :LMFAO:

Well we also have MTV teen mom Farrah Abraham and Former WWE wrassling champion China who both got paid over a million USD for knob gobbling and poop chuting. Only in A-mer-ca!

Kelly Slater (#12) is amazing, winning a record 11 world championships (no one else comes close), the first at age 20 and the most recent at age 39. He's been the dominant figure in surfing for two decades. I can't think of another sport where one individual has dominated for so long.

would have thought kelly slater makes a lot more from events and world championship, though i guess endorsements would be a shit ton.

walter ray williams jr. only making 150k goes to show bowling still isn't mainstream enough to make anything decent, even though it's on tv a shitload now.

Archived