IGNORED

Is there a better 5000bt tablet buy than Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" 8gb wifi?

The Sly Fox

GFs birthday on Saturday and I'm shopping for a small android tablet for her. The one I have my sights on is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" 8gb wifi. These are selling all over Patts for 4,990Bt.

Last night I was reading some reviews for this model tab and the reviews were not very favorable - low screen res', weak camera, lack of storage, no 3G - were repeated criticisms. However, for the same money I can't really find anything else other than cheap Chinese knock offs in TukCom, so it looks to me like this model Samsung is the best buy under 5K.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

GFs birthday on Saturday and I'm shopping for a small android tablet for her. The one I have my sights on is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" 8gb wifi. These are selling all over Patts for 4,990Bt.

Last night I was reading some reviews for this model tab and the reviews were not very favorable - low screen res', weak camera, lack of storage, no 3G - were repeated criticisms. However, for the same money I can't really find anything else other than cheap Chinese knock offs in TukCom, so it looks to me like this model Samsung is the best buy under 5K.

I know it's a little more money but look around for a 2nd hand iPad Mini 16Gb 1st generation. Android is great for phones but sucks for tablets.

I also bought a 7" tablet for the TG's birthday back in February and did a lot of research online prior to the purchase. Also found several Samsung Galaxy negative responses regarding users evaluations. What I did find was many users that had purchased the ASUS 7" tablet were very happy users. As I remember there were two 7" tablets from ASUS. One called NEXUS and one called MeMO Pad. The NEXUS was the more expensive, as had upgraded components vs the MeMO. Off to take a look at TukCom (company on the top floor). They had both ASUS models available and I decided on the upgraded NEXUS that was about 6,500 bht. I believe the MeMO was around 5,000 bht.

Has been a great tablet for her and the display is so much brighter and clearer than I had seen in the Samsung. Great installed programs that she has been very happy with. All in all I think it was a good purchase, even though I know you can buy them cheaper in other country's if your a traveler. Even though it's Google, I'll give the ASUS a recommendation.

It's not about what you got.. It's all about what you can still get!

I also bought a 7" tablet for the TG's birthday back in February and did a lot of research online prior to the purchase. Also found several Samsung Galaxy negative responses regarding users evaluations. What I did find was many users that had purchased the ASUS 7" tablet were very happy users. As I remember there were two 7" tablets from ASUS. One called NEXUS and one called MeMO Pad. The NEXUS was the more expensive, as had upgraded components vs the MeMO. Off to take a look at TukCom (company on the top floor). They had both ASUS models available and I decided on the upgraded NEXUS that was about 6,500 bht. I believe the MeMO was around 5,000 bht.

Has been a great tablet for her and the display is so much brighter and clearer than I had seen in the Samsung. Great installed programs that she has been very happy with. All in all I think it was a good purchase, even though I know you can buy them cheaper in other country's if your a traveler. Even though it's Google, I'll give the ASUS a recommendation.

OK thanks for that tip. I just did an online check of the Asus MeMO Pad 7 and they sell for 4500-4900 and have better specs than the Samsung I was considering. For starters 16gig onboard (Samsung 8gig) plus both front and back cameras - 5mps and 1.2mps - Samsung only one 2mps camera.

Also Trusted Reviews give it a good review. I'll go to Tuk Com tomorrow and check it out.

+1 on the Asus,  they worked out the kinks and made it better.  do not buy a Roku though.  Buy only the ones with good reviews

cheers, Tommy of Richmond

why sleep if you are going to get up anyway?

Bought Samsung Galaxy Note 8 16 gig with wifi and 3G for 11900B from Tuk Com on 14th April.

Nice little unit.

Most were quoting 13500 but the guy at the top of the escalator on left.... good for a unit that has wifi and 3G

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0" 3G model GT-N5100

When I read your thread I also looked up the reviews and found this.

Whatever you decide to buy Im sure your girl will be delighted :GoldenSmile1:

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

asus has one called something with the word "fone" in it I think.  Asus makes nexus so this is close but has a slot for a phone card so you get wifi and 3g.  Best buy out there around 6k I think.

Bought Samsung Galaxy Note 8 16 gig with wifi and 3G for 11900B from Tuk Com on 14th April.

Nice little unit.

Most were quoting 13500 but the guy at the top of the escalator on left.... good for a unit that has wifi and 3G

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0" 3G model GT-N5100

Thanks LRanger, I'm sure that's a way better tab, but I'm only 5K in luv with gf, not 12K in love...:-)

When I read your thread I also looked up the reviews and found this.

Whatever you decide to buy Im sure your girl will be delighted :GoldenSmile1:

Many thanks mate, this was most informative, seems like I'm really on the right track now. I just hope when I go to TukCom tomorrow they have the Asus MeMo in stock. If so my search is over, I'll buy the bastard there and then.

asus has one called something with the word "fone" in it I think.  Asus makes nexus so this is close but has a slot for a phone card so you get wifi and 3g.  Best buy out there around 6k I think.

Thanks losworld, I'll have a look for this model tomorrow too.

Just spend a bit more baht and buy her a mini ipad

A much better tablet

Nexus 7 II is about the best value v features for the Android platform in that form factor. Not sure of the availability in Thailand. Being part of the Google Nexus program, OTA updates are speedy and reliable.

Not sure why you would need 3G, unless you don't have a phone ? With the ubiquity of WiFi and assuming an android phone you can just set the phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect via it if you are away from free WiFi. That said, if it's a feature you insist on it is available, albeit at greater coat.

Went look today in TukCom & IT World & PowerBuy for the Asus MeMO Pad 7 but nobody had one. So I ended up in Big C Pattaya Klang and found a Lenovo Tablet A3000 7" on special for 5,700 plus I got a 16gig card on special for 300Bt. So for total 6000Bt (only 1K more than I originally intended) we got 16gig onboard plus 16gig sd card. Wifi + 3G, double sims, can use as mobilephone, 2 cameras (5mp on rear) So all up a far superior tablet, the 3G will come in handy when gf goes back to village in Korat.

Thanks to all you guys for your various tips & suggestions.

• 7 months later...

fuck anything apple,theyre for buffalo

the kindle fire hdx's are less than 5k and the best I've used

best picture,sound and responsiveness

fuck anything apple,theyre for buffalo

the kindle fire hdx's are less than 5k and the best I've used

best picture,sound and responsiveness

Got to agree with you mate, I hate with a vengeance anything Apple. But I have many friends & family members who swear that Apple stuff is best. Not me however, every time I use something Apple I'm cursing and raving and ready to smash the f'n thing with a hammer within 5 minutes.

Like anything you get what you pay for

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

In the UK, the tesco hudl 2 is recommended as the best buy tablet. Retails for £130. Really good spec.

Do they stock them in tesco-lotus though (?)

In the UK, the tesco hudl 2 is recommended as the best buy tablet. Retails for £130. Really good spec.

Do they stock them in tesco-lotus though (?)

Yes I've heard about these, very good reviews and great value for money. But not available here in LOS to the best of my knowledge.

Archived