IGNORED

Bun Bang Fai - May 2014

private

I spend a good part of my time up in sunny Isaan and love the local culture. Equally I love to share the experience.

Next week I am off to Bangkok to meet with a long time Aussie mate of mine. We will spend a bit of time in Bangkok enjoying the normal tourist traps in and around Soi Nanatai and Cowboy. Then were off, flying up to Khon Kaen and driving home, out into the wilds of North Eastern Thailand.

My mate has never been to this neck of the woods. His Thai experience is limited to Bangkok and Patts. So it is a bit of Thai culture for him on this holiday.

We're doing the bloke thing of Bang Fai. The rocket festival.

We are aiming to get to one of the largest festivals - Yasathon (Yasathon) for the weekend of 10 - 11 May.   With another following at Kuchinarai (Kalasin) the next weekend of 17 - 18 May.

The festivals are held all over the place, with even small villages not neglecting to celebrate. Small fireworks, food, drink, music, men dragged through mud what more could a crazy Aussie mate on holidays want to see.  These home made rockets can reach a reported 10 kms high. That's 6 miles for you non metric yanks. 

Hope to see a few of you at one of these great events.

I get into BKK next week and I'm also hoping to get to a rocket festival this trip. Gonna skip the big one in Yasothon in favor of the smaller ones. Considering Phayakkhaphum Phisai, Mahasarakham (17-18 May), the one you mention in Kuchinarai the same weekend and/or Kranuan, Khon Kaen (24-25 May). Always enjoy my time in Isaan.

Archived