Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai general hints at coup over alleged royal insult

mdmx33

took from a link on the bbc website http://www.macon.com/world//story/363874.html

By SUTIN WANNABOVORN - Associated Press Writer

BANGKOK, Thailand --

Thailand's military indicated Thursday that it might stage a coup as tension grew over a government official who is accused of insulting the king.

The military has strong loyalties to the Palace and has in the past used alleged attacks against the monarchy as a pretext to seize power in some of Thailand's perennial coups.

"No soldier wants to stage a coup to topple the government but I cannot guarantee that there will be no more coup," Supreme Military Commander Gen. Boonsang Niempradit told reporters.

The last coup occurred in 2006 following months of mass street protests against then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who went into exile but has since returned to fight corruption charges against him and his family.

Rumors of a new coup have circulated in the Thai capital in recent days as the army and opposition parties escalated their attacks on Jakrapob Penkair, a minister attached to the prime minister's office accused of insulting King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Niempradit urged Jakrapob to resign from his Cabinet post.

An arrest warrant will be issued for Penkair next week, police announced Thursday. A police officer in March filed a complaint against Jakrapob, alleging that he had committed lese majeste, the crime of insulting the monarchy.

The English-language Bangkok Post said the commander of the 1st Army, which is based in Bangkok, was called back from a European trip in light of the political tensions.

Anti-government groups, led by the People's Alliance for Democracy, planned another major street protest for Friday, demanding the resignation of the government of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej for allegedly trying to amend the constitution for political gain.

The demonstrators accuse Samak, widely viewed as a proxy for Thaksin, of trying to change the constitution as a way to hold onto power and to prevent Thaksin from facing justice. Under the existing military-backed constitution that was implemented after Thaksin's ouster, the prime minister can only amend the charter for the public interest, not for personal interest.

Thaksin faces corruption-related charges filed by special committees set up by the military after the coup.

Fearing a military coup, the core party of Samak's coalition government Thursday said it would withdraw support for the motion now before both houses of Parliament to amend the constitution.

Suriyasai Katasila, spokesman for the People's Alliance for Democracy, said protests would be called off if the motion was withdrawn.

center]'''''''''''You only pass through this life once; you don't come back for an encore.''''''''''''[/center]

Yep read this earlier today.I think wot the guy was trying to say is wot alot of Thais have been secretly talking about for the last 2 years & thats wots ganna happen??

Dont want to say too much but theres alot of talk about the next King.

I want to lick Edna Krabappel`s Pussy....

Principal Seymour Skinner

Proud to be a member http://www.lmhr.org.uk/about/anl.html

Can you help please? http://www.baan-kingkaew-orphanage.org/mission.html

Take at look at this site if u care?

http://www.isara.org/

lbfucker.gif

Visit My Website

took from a link on the bbc website http://www.macon.com/world//story/363874.html

By SUTIN WANNABOVORN - Associated Press Writer

BANGKOK, Thailand --

Thailand's military indicated Thursday that it might stage a coup as tension grew over a government official who is accused of insulting the king.

The military has strong loyalties to the palace and has in the past used alleged attacks against the monarchy as a pretext to seize power in some of Thailand's perennial coups.

"No soldier wants to stage a coup to topple the government but I cannot guarantee that there will be no more coup," Supreme Military Commander Gen. Boonsang Niempradit told reporters.

The last coup occurred in 2006 following months of mass street protests against then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who went into exile but has since returned to fight corruption charges against him and his family.

Rumors of a new coup have circulated in the Thai capital in recent days as the army and opposition parties escalated their attacks on Jakrapob Penkair, a minister attached to the prime minister's office accused of insulting King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Niempradit urged Jakrapob to resign from his Cabinet post.

An arrest warrant will be issued for Penkair next week, police announced Thursday. A police officer in March filed a complaint against Jakrapob, alleging that he had committed lese majeste, the crime of insulting the monarchy.

The English-language Bangkok Post said the commander of the 1st Army, which is based in Bangkok, was called back from a European trip in light of the political tensions.

Anti-government groups, led by the People's Alliance for Democracy, planned another major street protest for Friday, demanding the resignation of the government of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej for allegedly trying to amend the constitution for political gain.

The demonstrators accuse Samak, widely viewed as a proxy for Thaksin, of trying to change the constitution as a way to hold onto power and to prevent Thaksin from facing justice. Under the existing military-backed constitution that was implemented after Thaksin's ouster, the prime minister can only amend the charter for the public interest, not for personal interest.

Thaksin faces corruption-related charges filed by special committees set up by the military after the coup.

Fearing a military coup, the core party of Samak's coalition government Thursday said it would withdraw support for the motion now before both houses of Parliament to amend the constitution.

Suriyasai Katasila, spokesman for the People's Alliance for Democracy, said protests would be called off if the motion was withdrawn.

Sounds like Suchinda in 1992 all over again. I think that the Thai's are getting wiser to the tricks of the power craving generals, at least I hope that they are.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Coups and all the shit they do, they are like all dictators and poloticians full of self promotion and corrupt to the max.

Blair, Bush, Shiniwantta or any goverment just elite corrupt c#nts..........

Lets hope it does not have effects or mess with our second home and our pay and play fun.

God bless the king he is a man of peace & has been good for his people......................

Thai Tony.

Anything to improve the exchange rate!

Be scene and not herd.

There's an old saying all politicians are parasites.

The present King of Thailand has done only good for his people and has gained the love and respect of all of them in fact they worship him despite officially having no power he is in fact is more powerful than any politician or general what he says goes.

Thailand will be a very sad place to be when his time on this earth finally comes to an end I can only imagine the mourning and tears that will be shed by his people I for one will join with them.

We can only hope that his son will follow in his father's footsteps.

Al.

Edited by Al.

it'll all go pete tong if the king goes thats my worry.

Very true. When the King dies it could make more difference than all the coups in the past 60 years.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

it'll all go pete tong if the king goes thats my worry.

Scary thought..

Very true. When the King dies it could make more difference than all the coups in the past 60 years.

Very true.Could even see the communist party getting back into politics.

I want to lick Edna Krabappel`s Pussy....

Principal Seymour Skinner

Proud to be a member http://www.lmhr.org.uk/about/anl.html

Can you help please? http://www.baan-kingkaew-orphanage.org/mission.html

Take at look at this site if u care?

http://www.isara.org/

lbfucker.gif

Visit My Website

The problem is that Thaksin is loved in the northern provinces but hated in Bangkok. So his minions get voted in then protests and unrest in Bangkok cause the coups. This is not an easily-solved problem I'm afraid.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

Everything will be fine for at least another four...they only do these things when I am in country on vacation! LOL!!

“Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.â€