IGNORED

Football legend

blue1878

Today a new set of British stamps have gone on sale.  A set of 10 stamps showing 10 famous British people who were born 100 years ago in 1914.

And one of the stamps honours a famous footballer/manager and his name is Joe Mercer

stamps.jpg

The Stamps

One of the reason's why I have done this topic is because I am from a town called Ellesmere Port and Joe Mercer was also from Ellesmere Port.  So I think he is the most famous footballer to come from my town.

Before the 2nd world war he played for Everton and won a league championship medal with them

joe mercer.jpg

Because of the war he lost 7 years of his career.  And after the war he left Everton and moved to Arsenal and whilst playing for them he won 2 league titles and a FA Cup winners medal.  And a losers medal.

When he retired from playing he went into management and his main success as a manager was with Manchester City.  At Man City he won the league once, FA Cup once, League Cup once and the Europena cup winners cup.  And joe was also Caretaker manager for England and managed them 7 times.  He also played for England a number of times.

A great manager and player

joe mercer 2.jpg

joe mercer 3.jpg

joe mercer 4.jpg

It's great to see that a  football legend is being honoured in this way.

And if anybody would like to read more about this famous footballer please take a look at the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Mercer

,joe loved his old fashion wingers,he always said the second prize in football was beating your man and getting to the by line.(mike summerbee,) (tony coleman,).

Archived