IGNORED

Language Schools in Pattaya

qwertyqaz

Anyone know a list of language schools in Pattaya? This is not for education visa. I'll be in Pattaya for sometime and I wanted to attend school to learn some Thai.

I did a speaking class 101 in Pattaya.

Well worth the money and my teacher JC was great. Good explanations and funny.

I should also mention the class was only 3 people.

It was great if you want basic communication, but I am looking for much more than that. I found that in the AUA course, correct tones were not nearly emphasised enough. For me this is very important, but other than that I was very happy. 

I did a speaking class 101 in Pattaya.

Well worth the money and my teacher JC was great. Good explanations and funny.

I should also mention the class was only 3 people.

It was great if you want basic communication, but I am looking for much more than that. I found that in the AUA course, correct tones were not nearly emphasised enough. For me this is very important, but other than that I was very happy. 

Does JC teach at a school or was it a private lesson? And how much? Are there any language school in Pattaya? AUA is in bangkok.

Walen is probably the biggest which means more options of classes such as morning or afternoon etc. It is not for someone who just wants a short course in conversational Thai though.

Reading Thai is a cornerstone of their teaching so the beginning is learning the Thai alphabet and how to properly pronounce the vovels etc. If you can make a 3 month commitment (such as 1-4 pm, Mon, Wed, and Fri) I'd recommend it. Their website has course prices and schedules. I can provide a detailed review if desired.

I would be interested in any reviews of other Pattaya schools that offer group lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

AUA is also in Pattaya. Central festival 4th floor.

Yes, JC was the group class teacher.

I believe the price was 5,900 baht for 40 hours. 2 hours/day  mon-thursday, 

I'm not sure if she does private lessons, though my class was myself and 2 others, so I wouldn't do private even if it was an option. 

Does JC teach at a school or was it a private lesson? And how much? Are there any language school in Pattaya? AUA is in bangkok.

• 3 months later...

ABC school in Jomtien

I went there 5 or 6 years ago, both group and individual classes. Good. 

Believe there is now another branch too in Naklua Road area.

Chok di.

PLC and Pro language both on Pattaya Klang are decent. Avoid ABS on soi Rungland like the plague

It would be nice to know which ones actually teach the best rather than just dole out ED visas.

Having looked at a few of the websites most of them plug the ED visa they offer and prices rather than what a good school they are at teaching people.

Maybe there actually are a few that actually teach as the mainstay of their business and are not just visa factories ?

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

I have heard a lot of good things about the Whalen schools, I almost went with them when I did my visa (I know you are not looking for one) but I ended up at Progress Lang. School just because I liked their payment plan better than Whalens. You can pay as you go for one on one lessons, or buy blocks of group classtime. 

PS most of the schools will let you sit in on a class or two in order to see if you like the teaching style.

I go to the Jomtien Language School, initially because it is conveniently located directly across the road from where I live. Opposite Jomtien Complex  Condo / View Talay 7 Condo on Thappraya Road; across the road from Bank of Ayudhya & Country Road bar.

The Thai language course is based around "Thai for Beginners" by Paiboon Publishing. The book and other course materials are provided with the package. You provide paper, pencil and as willing a mind as you can muster :)

I enrolled in the 180 hour group package and paid 25,000 baht (although, looking at the web site I see they are advertising it for 23,400 baht ... hmmm). This qualifies for the ED visa and consists of 2-hour lessons, twice per week. The group I am in is quite small (anything from 2 to 6 persons, depending on who bothers to turn up).

The course started from assuming you have zero knowledge of Thai (i.e. a complete beginner). We spent the first 5 months working through the Paiboon course book. With additional "homework" to help reinforce the lessons. I started in November last year, and after 7 months, we are nearly 1/2-way through the second, more comprehensive, run-through of the course book. Lessons at the moment are pretty much written and spoken in Thai language. We no longer rely on the English transliterations and are concentrating on just using Thai. Looking at some of the books that I can understand in the SE-ED shops, I reckon I am about somewhere in grade 2 standard (Thai primary 2). Maybe as good as a Thai 7-year old... woo hoo !!

I am happy with the course and definitely think it worthwhile. Difficult to say how it compares with other schools, as I only know this one, but I consider them to be professional. The young Thai lady who teaches us, takes a genuine interest in helping us understand the lessons.

For anyone considering an ED-visa, they are very helpful in getting the paperwork together. I got my initial ED-visa in Singapore last November and have had no problems with getting my 90-day extensions at Jomtien immigration.

Cheers, ReetDeeDee ô¿ô

• 3 months later...

Have recently started private lessons at Pro Language in Pattaya Klang, can really recommend it. 

I tried a school closer to my home, and had an introductory lesson, but really didn't connect with the teacher... 

She would keep speaking Thai 90% of the time without even asking if I was understanding what she was saying. The reason I am there in the first place is because I can't speak Thai FFS! Also, when I would try to ask a question, she would talk over the top of me. So absolutely no and I was glad I didn't pay up front. 

Anyway, I then tried Pro Language after hearing some good things (actually I don't think I ever actually heard any "good things", just other people saying they had heard good things!) I went there and was going to ask for a trial lesson then just thought fuck it, I will just go for it and paid up for 20 hours private lessons (7,500 baht). Amazingly, the teacher I have (Mai) honestly couldn't be better... everybody is different, but for me she is perfect, lovely lady, great sense of humour and an excellent teacher. I will definitely be signing up for more lessons in the future. If anyone is thinking about private lessons, try here. I also had a look at 
Whalen (just across the road), but the prices were way too steep.  

One negative about Pro Language is their transliterations in the text books... for example ไม่ (Thai word for "no") is transliterated as "May". Anyone reading that would think you'd pronounce is like the month after April, but as we all know, it's said "Mai". there's other similar examples, I have read a few different books which have transliterations and this is the first time I have been confused like this, the Pro Language ones are not very intuitive. But I am learning the Thai script anyway, so I am not relying on the phonetics. 

Just out of interest, the best transliterations I have seen are in the "Complete Thai" book by David Smythe. 

I took Thai language classes when I lived in Bangkok with Pro Language and now that I am living in Pattaya I am taking a Visa class with them.  I am happy with the teacher and the classes and books they use.  I don't have anything else to measure it up with as far as Thai language classes go.  Coworkers that I had in Bangkok - some didn't like Pro Language and chose another school.  Depends on the instructor you get, and in the Visa classes, the other students in the class.  My Pattaya Visa class is like the UN - people from all over the world - Finland, Russia, Czech Republic, France, Switzerland, USA, Scotland, Australia, Kurdistan... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

I learned from the AUA course in Bangkok in the early 80's. They emphasized learning written Thai from the get go which I believe is the only way to master the tones. There is probably a lot more material available now but the text books they had were brilliant. One page was in Thai and the facing page was the English translation. Page one? Sawatdee.

Anyone know if any of these schools teach Lao also? As you know it's actually what people in Patts speak, well the girls anyways. I've got a book and CD collecting dust here, it's hard to keep motivated on your own.

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any experiences about a language school in Soi Buakao named EASI Language Center?

It is opposite of a family mart and right next to some complex (not sure, maybe called R-Con or similarly).

It has been recommended to me, but cannot find anything online.

Thanks in advance.

The difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.

Archived