IGNORED

Buying a Mobile / Sim card to call UK from Koh Samui for 2 weeeks

hayabusa

Chaps,

What's the best (cheapest) set up for calling back to the UK from Koh Samui via mobile?

I own a pub in the UK & need to be in touch fairly regularly, in the past I've just used my phone & swallowed the cost. Was thinking of buying a phone in Koh Samui & getting a Thai Sim, then just letting the pub know the number.

I've left it a bit late to ask as off on Monday, thank *uck but any advice would be great as to what PAYG Sim & what company etc.

Cheers in advance.

The cheapest one i ever got was the one they give out free at domestic arrivals in Phuket -I'm near sure it was a True SIM card. I found AIS/1 to call a little more expensive. That was a year ago though & rates are obviously subject to change.

Pattaya is like enjoying yourself -it's not for everyone.

Any reason you can't use a VoIP solution like viber ? Or even a paid Skype solution where you VoIP to the UK and a local call from there

Don't want to be bound to the laptop & need to be reachable from the UK.

Viber, Line etc. doesn't have to tie you to your laptop. Use the app on your smart phone and get a SIM with a data plan (or use wifi) and you're good to go with "free" voice and texts...obviously need the guys in UK to have the same app.

???? I use them on my phone. Skype you can make calls to phones anywhere in the world with a plan (very cheap) or Skype to skype is free, same same Viber to Viber is free. You can do voice only. I am assuming of course you have a smartphone eg Android or IPhone etc.

I'm going to unlock my japanese HTC EVO 3D from AU Japan for my trip to Thailand so I can use it there. My question is where should I go to get a sim card and service. How much would it cost approximately and I just need it for 1 week. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

TrueMove has a phone available from 7-11 for just 599bt.  You can then get what they call an Inter-Sim for True for 99bt.

With this you can make most international calls for 1 or 2 baht a minute.  You need to dial 00600 and the number.

Connections are good to very good.  I have been using it for years to call the US, 1bT/min.

With another True simm you may be able to get this promotion thru customer Service.

Archived