IGNORED

Some people need to get a life

LaaMok

I was asked by a boardmember to get something translated... so I went onto the only proper learn thai forum, and this was my post...

"My friend is meant to be meeting a bargirl in Bkk but he wants to meet her in Pattaya where she works, but he only wants to see her twice in the * days that he is there.

I think he needs something like this translating into thai script.

"I want you to know that I dont want you to meet me in Bangkok, I want to butterfly and I will see you 2 days in pattaya."

Thanks very much.."

and guess what, I got a warning for it LOL

here it is below lol oh and while I am here could someone else translate it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have received a warning at Paknam Web Thailand Forums.

Reason:

-------

Inappropriate Language

this is beyond what we call family-friendly and our policy not to discuss associations with bargirls.

Shame on you!!! corrupting the morals of the family.....You deserve a good thashing (perhaps the board you mentioned earlier could translate..... :) ).

I was asked by a boardmember to get something translated... so I went onto the only proper learn thai forum, and this was my post...

"My friend is meant to be meeting a bargirl in Bkk but he wants to meet her in Pattaya where she works, but he only wants to see her twice in the * days that he is there.

I think he needs something like this translating into thai script.

"I want you to know that I dont want you to meet me in Bangkok, I want to butterfly and I will see you 2 days in pattaya."

Thanks very much.."

and guess what, I got a warning for it LOL

here it is below lol oh and while I am here could someone else translate it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have received a warning at Paknam Web Thailand Forums.

Reason:

-------

Inappropriate Language

this is beyond what we call family-friendly and our policy not to discuss associations with bargirls.

Inappropriate WTF means that?

Visit My Website Do not trust anything that bleeds for 3 - 5 day and doesn't die.

Yeah the words inappropriate and Addicts should never be used in the same sentence, we don't know the meaning of that word on this board.

I haven't got access to a Thai keyboard at this moment Bryan but if you can get a Thai to type the following out for you in thai script you should be Ok. Khun mai tong pai pop pom thii krungthep na. Phom yaak ja pai thiaw khon diaw soong wan koon.

Very honest mate you have there by the sounds of it Bryan, if he really wanted to be that straight with her. The Thai translates as "you don't have to go and meet me in Bangkok. I want to travel on my own for two days first" If you mate really wants to say Butterfly then you can just substitute "Butterfly" for "thiaw" as Thais (or at least BGs) have adopted the word even though it is English.

As for the ban from that forum......Politically correct Thailand? I hope it doesn't last.

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I wasn't sure what to use for "butterfly", at first I put "go to look for women" but I've changed it to just "go out".

อยากให้รู้ว่าไม่ต้อง

มาพบกันที่กรุงเทพ

เพราะว่า

ผมอยากไปเที่ยว

เราจะพบกันที่

พัทยาในอืกสองวัน

Edited by sekloso

I haven't got access to a Thai keyboard at this moment Bryan but if you can get a Thai to type the following out for you in thai script you should be Ok. Khun mai tong pai pop pom thii krungthep na. Phom yaak ja pai thiaw khon diaw soong wan koon.

Very honest mate you have there by the sounds of it Bryan, if he really wanted to be that straight with her. The Thai translates as "you don't have to go and meet me in Bangkok. I want to travel on my own for two days first" If you mate really wants to say Butterfly then you can just substitute "Butterfly" for "thiaw" as Thais (or at least BGs) have adopted the word even though it is English.

As for the ban from that forum......Politically correct Thailand? I hope it doesn't last.

Cheers, I use the online keyboard, just google it! from learningthai.com i think

I wasn't sure what to use for "butterfly", at first I put "go to look for women" but I've changed it to just "go out".

อยากให้รู้ว่าไม่ต้อง

มาพบกันที่กรุงเทพ

เพราะว่า

ผมอยากไปเที่ยว

เราจะพบกันที่

พัทยาในอืกสองวัน

For butterfly i would use "jai lai" (Liquid heart)

Cheers, I use the online keyboard, just google it! from learningthai.com i think

For butterfly i would use "jai lai" (liquid heart)

Sure Bryan but I have never heard that expression used as a verb before (as in the context of what you wanted translated). I have heard butterfly (although it is obviously not a Thai word) used as a verb by Thais and also Jow Chu (Thai expression meaning flirt or plaboy named after a mythical Thai prince). For example I have heard Thai girls say "Yaa jow chu na" (Don't flirt/shag around) and "Mai tong Butterfly na" (You don't have to flirt shag around).

Anyway don't mean to split hairs and proabaly shouldn't have encouraged people to use the word Butterfly in the Learn Thai section.

Sure Bryan but I have never heard that expression used as a verb before (as in the context of what you wanted translated). I have heard butterfly (although it is obviously not a Thai word) used as a verb by Thais and also Jow Chu (Thai expression meaning flirt or plaboy named after a mythical Thai prince). For example I have heard Thai girls say "Yaa jow chu na" (Don't flirt/shag around) and "Mai tong Butterfly na" (You don't have to flirt shag around).

Anyway don't mean to split hairs and proabaly shouldn't have encouraged people to use the word Butterfly in the Learn Thai section.

wow mate, thats really good info, i would love it, if you could write that in thai at some point when you got a moment!

99% of Thai girls in the scene will know the English words Butterfly and Helicopter (senior butterfly) so why not just use them?

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

wow mate, thats really good info, i would love it, if you could write that in thai at some point when you got a moment!

Sure Bryan, here's the first; อย่าเจ้าชู้นะ and the second; ไม่ต้องบัทเตอร์ ใฟล์นะ.

Hope it helps.

99% of Thai girls in the scene will know the English words Butterfly and Helicopter (senior butterfly) so why not just use them?

No reason at all really. Read my first post in this thread. Maybe I'm being a bit silly but I don't really like encouraging the use of these words in the Thai language even if they are widely understood.

Guys... thanks for all your input. It wasn't me Bryan got a warning for..... Honest! :WhoSaw1:

For butterfly i would use "jai lai" (liquid heart)

I would say that there are several different ways to translate "jai lai". When it means Liquid heart, lai is being used as noun to mean Liquid but I would probably translate lai as verb rather than a noun.

When used as a verb, ไหล(lai) describes how a Liquid behaves.It means to flow, to float, to rush and, according to thai-language.com, to slither.

One definition my dictionary gives is to flow freely like water so my first translation of jai lai would be free flowing heart or even floating heart.

My second would have to be a slithering or slithery heart. The mental image this conjures up of a heart slithering round bars is just great.

I would say that there are several different ways to translate "jai lai". When it means liquid heart, lai is being used as noun to mean liquid but I would probably translate lai as verb rather than a noun.

When used as a verb, ไหล(lai) describes how a liquid behaves.It means to flow, to float, to rush and, according to thai-language.com, to slither.

One definition my dictionary gives is to flow freely like water so my first translation of jai lai would be free flowing heart or even floating heart.

My second would have to be a slithering or slithery heart. The mental image this conjures up of a heart slithering round bars is just great.

Are you sure that Bryan and yourself don't mean ใจร้าย Jai Rai (pronounced with an r, long and high as opposed to an l long and rising). I have heard this expression which means bad or nasty heart used in reference to being a flirt but never Jai Lai.

Of course there are many possible combinations in Thai with the word Jai (heart) and I don't claim to have heard them all. It is just that with the Thai/Isaan penchant for pronouncing their r's as l's it would be easy to get the two muddled up.

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Lol i personally thought it was a valid request but like you said some people need to grow up

ALTHOUGH I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE SAID SIR I WOULD DEFEND TO THE DEATH YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT.

NICE TO BE NICE SUPPORTER ADD THIS TO YOU SIGGY TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR THE IDEA THAT STARTED THIS FORUM

Are you sure that Bryan and yourself don't mean ใจร้าย Jai Rai (pronounced with an r, long and high as opposed to an l long and rising). I have heard this expression which means bad or nasty heart used in reference to being a flirt but never Jai Lai.

Of course there are many possible combinations in Thai with the word Jai (heart) and I don't claim to have heard them all. It is just that with the Thai/Isaan penchant for pronouncing their r's as l's it would be easy to get the two muddled up.

I agree with you, your theory does make sense and is probably accurate.

A small section in a Thai phrasebook, which I've just received, blows a hole in my attempt to justify using "jai lai" as a word meaning butterfly.

The section's title, "Nam-jai น้ำใจ: The Flowing Heart", is followed by this introduction:

"Nam-jai" literally means "water heart," but we like to translate it as "flowing heart." Several dictionaries translate nam-jai as "heart, spirit, good feelings, mentality." It is an untranslatable concept embracing charity, compassion, altruism, trust, sincere concern, and generosity, all without strings attached.

Therefore, butterfly # flowing heart.

Also, all the heart words listed in my dictionary that begin with ใจ are used as adjectives and describe a state.

ใจเดียว(jai dio= to be faithful) and ใจน้อย(jai noi = to be touchy, sensitive) etc. ใจร้าย(jai rai = to be cruel, wicked) does work better than jai lai because following these examples, my interpretation of jai lai would have to be translated as "to be free flowing" or "to be slithery" and neither of them really work.

I agree with you, your theory does make sense and is probably accurate.

A small section in a Thai phrasebook, which I've just received, blows a hole in my attempt to justify using "jai lai" as a word meaning butterfly.

The section's title, "Nam-jai น้ำใจ: The Flowing Heart", is followed by this introduction:

"Nam-jai" literally means "water heart," but we like to translate it as "flowing heart." Several dictionaries translate nam-jai as "heart, spirit, good feelings, mentality." It is an untranslatable concept embracing charity, compassion, altruism, trust, sincere concern, and generosity, all without strings attached.

Therefore, butterfly # flowing heart.

Also, all the heart words listed in my dictionary that begin with ใจ are used as adjectives and describe a state.

ใจเดียว(jai dio= to be faithful) and ใจน้อย(jai noi = to be touchy, sensitive) etc. ใจร้าย(jai rai = to be cruel, wicked) does work better than jai lai because following these examples, my interpretation of jai lai would have to be translated as "to be free flowing" or "to be slithery" and neither of them really work.

Cheers for the research. Like I said, I had never heard Jai Lai used before although Jai Rai is something I have heard quite a lot (been accused of it myself lol). I guess at the end of the day there are so many possible combinations that it would be a bit hasty to call one of them "wrong" I thought it the 1st time I read the thread but just assumed it was a combination I just hadn't come accross yet but the more I thought about it the more I felt it could just be a mi-hearing of Jai Rai.

Anyway, enough of this as I am starting to think that maybe it is me who needs to get a life.