IGNORED

Can I get an International Driving Permit in Pattaya?

ASIA_SEXPAT

I'm already in Pattaya.. I have a valid Australia driver's license and a valid Philippines driver's license, but so I've read here I'm supposed to have a valid international driving permit too. 

I intend to get my Thai driver's license, but I can't get one without an IDP right?

I'm not going to leave the country to get one.. can I get one issued or made here in Pattaya?

Thanks

As you're Aussie licence has your pic on it no need for an IDP. As far as I'm aware (but can't say I've looked into it much) you can get a Thai licence using your Aussie licence.

There's a few threads on here about it from memory.

As you're Aussie licence has your pic on it no need for an IDP. As far as I'm aware (but can't say I've looked into it much) you can get a Thai licence using your Aussie licence.

There's a few threads on here about it from memory.

Thanks.. the threads I read said I need an IDP to apply along with a resident certificate

Thanks.. the threads I read said I need an IDP to apply along with a resident certificate

Ru4Real is right. You only need your national DL (plus passport, letter to confirm your address and/or work permit, medical certificate) to get a Thai DL. No need for a IDP.

You would need the IDP to avoid the written and driving tests. You can get the license without an IDP, it just takes longer.

Aussies must be special. :-)

You would need the IDP to avoid the written and driving tests. You can get the license without an IDP, it just takes longer.

In Bangkok a national DL (no need for a IDP) means you don't have to do the written and driving tests, or have to watch the video. It might be different in Pattaya.

No it is the same in pattaya.

An IDP is issued by your country of origin, and gives translations of your home licence. I would have thought that any IDP issued in Thailand would be for a THAI licence, which you don't have yet. As others have said, you don't need one to get a Thai DL, it's just a little easier as no written or driving test.

Archived