IGNORED

"smart" TV - new Dancewatchers condo

SmellyFarang

So I'm trying a new Dancewatchers condo this trip, and one of its features is a big-ass "smart" TV.

I've never bothered to look at that new breed of technical wizardry, but now that I've played with one first hand I'm pretty impressed.

In a nutshell, the TV has a built-in wifi connection along with a number of plugin ports that let you do stuff like:

* plug in a USB thumb drive of pics & videos you can watch directly

* browse the internet (such as youtube vids of Coyote dancers, ThaiFriendly, etc)

* Plug in a keyboard and even mouse, so your girl(s) can access Facebook/skype/twitter/etc without touching your computer

* Access a huge librarly of major videos, many with Thai dubbing, that you & your girl(s) can enjoy with a cozy snuggle

And speaking of snuggling, the TV also lets you download a bunch of different aps.  Examples of some I've installed are:

* Pattaya weather

* Central Festival movie listings (including access to preview clips)

* mood lighting

* bunch of games

* etc

Sure, you could do pretty much all of the above with your computer - but it's nice to be able to keep your computer locked up and just let the girls mess with the tv instead.

There's also a way to stream movies directly from your PC, phone or tablet to the TV without having to mess with all the various cables, but I haven't made time to set that up just yet.

For any smart TV Power Users out there - any other tips you can share?

IMGA0001.JPG

IMGA0005.JPG

IMGA0008.JPG

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

I bought one last week at home and agree it is quite amazing.  I spent a couple of hours last night exploring all the functions you mentioned above and pretty much does everything that I would bother using a computer for but it all comes up on the big screen and the you tube videos look great. 

I havent plugged in the keyboard yet but believe this would make make it even more user friendly.

Luckily I just happened to have a spare backlit keyboard with me, but that's just the kind of guy I am and the way I roll... ;)

But I plan to get a cheap Thai language keyboard that will be easier for the girls to use.

Always amusing when people discover technology ... :P

It's a computer dude; depending on its setup it's only limited by the installed Apps. But it has a built in web browser & search, so you can do most things on it that you can with any browser.

You can achieve the same outcome, if you're an Apple person, by simply taking your iPad and Apple TV (which is tiny) and then you don't need to set anything up - just connect to wifi...

I stay in DW's condos in VT6 often and use the approach above. :)

I travel a lot with my work so I use a Seagate wireless hard drive full of movies, tv shows etc. It is great for streaming to a Smart TV in a condo/hotel, and my iPad during my flights.

I travel a lot with my work so I use a Seagate wireless hard drive full of movies, tv shows etc. It is great for streaming to a Smart TV in a condo/hotel, and my iPad during my flights.

That sounds like a good tip I'll have to check out.

Archived