IGNORED

Free App: A Better Camera for Android

Pattaya_Brian

I saw this app featured on the BBC this morning and decided to install it. 

I haven't gotten around to seriously testing all the features but they claim it can produce DSLR quality shots. Lots of functions as well.

Here are a few of the first test shots I took without knowing anything about it but the point and click function.

20140202_154913.jpg

20140202_155042.jpg

20140202_155115.jpg

20140202_155850.jpg

Have you compared any of it's photos against the standard app on your camera, I'm useless at taking photo's so always up for a new camera app to make life easier

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Another good one if you know how to use a dslr, or want to practice on your phone is FV-5. Not so good if you want to point and shoot, but awesome if you want to camera geek.

Sent from my too expensive Samsung tablet.

Have you compared any of it's photos against the standard app on your camera, I'm useless at taking photo's so always up for a new camera app to make life easier

From the first few point and shoot shots, yes it's far superior to the camera that came with the phone.

That doesn't mean I'll be getting rid of my DSLR for serious photography. This will just be handy because it's always in my pocket.

I use camera FX Zoom paid version I also brought the add ons cost bugger all I think a few bucks. love it.

This is the micro mode. Not impressive, but still glad that I installed it. Think pocket snaps and not your DSLR.

m.jpg

I installed this app to my Samsung tablet there was a free version and one you can pay for I decided to try the free one first only to find that with this option when you want to use any of the different lens effects or functions you have to pay for each of them individually so you might as well pay for the full version to begin with I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch  ( or decent app  :Clap1: )

All it can do is process the images that come out of the camera better than the software that you have been using. It may be able to clean up your images but it aint going to make your photos significantly better (other than things like sharpening, improving colour and some noise reduction). I see that it promises to make noise-free low light images, I would like to see that...:D

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Cheers Brian,   loaded on my H9500

Well I'm goin on 60, I'm older than most. Won't be long now and all I'll be is a ghost

Have you taken photos at night with the app. I find my samsung fine during the day but the night shots are ordinary. I had a iphone before this and it was pretty ordinary as well

12 Pints in Know it all

No app is going to make your camera phone take slr quality images,that is a almost a joke.

My youtube channel .....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxoT31MMwxjrLmj6um_BnlA

2 Weeks in Jomtien trip report, photo heavy and videos.....  http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307477-big-g-returns-2-weeks-in-november-photo-heavy-and-some-videos/

First trip report,more then 500 images.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/177415-small-trip-reportbut-heaps-of-photos500-plus/

• 2 weeks later...

All it can do is process the images that come out of the camera better than the software that you have been using. It may be able to clean up your images but it aint going to make your photos significantly better (other than things like sharpening, improving colour and some noise reduction). I see that it promises to make noise-free low light images, I would like to see that... :D

I've used this app. Aside from being able to tweak a few parameters, I don't think it allows for any greater level of detail or more light to the sensor over what the standard camera already does, as you mentioned. I do like the more robust menu and feature set though. The standard Kit-Kat camera app is very basic, almost dumbed down. Overall, this app is like having a more advanced menu mode, as most camera enthusiasts will end up doing a better job than auto-mode. It obviously won't change sensors or driver settings for you, but it does put more control at your fingertips. 

That being said, there are ways of messing around with firmware to adjust things like video bit rate and other parameters (at the risk of bricking your device).  

Pattaya Brian. what mobile are you using and camera size. so that we can assess the photos you posted.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

My Ipad2 has a camera under 1meg pixel and takes crap pictures in low light, If I know I am going to take photos I just put my 14meg point and shoot in my pocket.

Pattaya Brian. what mobile are you using and camera size. so that we can assess the photos you posted.

Samsung DUOS is all I know it by. 

Those pics look way better than the crap I get from my Motorola Xt925

Does it want every permission available?

I wont install apps that want access to my private data.

Fcking data mining can go fck itself!

Member since Dec 06.

No app is going to make your camera phone take slr quality images,that is a almost a joke.

Who said that it would?

Those pics look way better than the crap I get from my Motorola Xt925

Does it want every permission available?

I wont install apps that want access to my private data.

Fcking data mining can go fck itself!

Permissions are unobtrusive, assuming you don't mind location services (if you want geotagging pictures). Here's the full list:

• Take pics/video
  • Record audio
  • Approximate location
  • Precise location
  • Modify or delete contents of USB storage
  • Google play billing service
  • Prevent phone from sleeping

That Samsung Duos has essentially the same camera module as the first Galaxy S phone.  Not too bad considering the age of that sensor.  

• 4 years later...
On 02/02/2014 at 21:30, neo1011 said:

Old post that covers this oldy pretty well :rolleyes:

Got sick and tired of Google Photos backing up every bloody thing every bloody where and started to wonder why I was even using it.  So had a search for a good photo app and found free Android "Open Camera" today.  Then I stopped all of Google's BS :Party1: ...

Few issues for me - would not save to SD card - which was MAJOR.  I want pics/vids saved on SD card.  Can then download manually to laptop later on (like I used to do 2017 on default Moto G3 app).  Looked for a solution and it was laid out simply in "How do I save to my external SD card?"   Anyway, the next issue was even more positive!!!  Has a simple zoom 1 to 4 on screen (or buttons if you like) - this was a feature I really wanted!!!

There's lots of additional pic/video tweaks, most of which are over this head - for the informed to dissect :D Have fun...

23 hours ago, Barhop said:

Got sick and tired of Google Photos backing up every bloody thing every bloody where and started to wonder why I was even using it.  So had a search for a good photo app and found free Android "Open Camera" today.  Then I s

That automatic backup (controlled by a checkbox in Google Photo application settings) is the one big reason for me to use Google Photos. 555 One person's bug is another person's feature. :-) Glad you were able to find an alternative that works better for you though. 

Then again, Google Photos is a "gallery application" rather than a "camera application". For camera applications, I'm still using the unremarkable default Samsung camera application. I have Camera FV-5 installed, but I don't use it a lot. It's also a great camera application, but mostly I'm too lazy to fiddle with all the special stuff it does. Most of the time I just want to press the button and call it good. 

59 minutes ago, Garzan said:

That automatic backup (controlled by a checkbox in Google Photo application settings) is the one big reason for me to use Google Photos. 555 One person's bug is another person's feature. :-) Glad you were able to find an alternative that works better for you though. 

Then again, Google Photos is a "gallery application" rather than a "camera application". For camera applications, I'm still using the unremarkable default Samsung camera application. I have Camera FV-5 installed, but I don't use it a lot. It's also a great camera application, but mostly I'm too lazy to fiddle with all the special stuff it does. Most of the time I just want to press the button and call it good. 

Thanks for the post.  You're spot on regards people having different needs :)

My Moto G camera app is also very basic.  Then I tried the Google Photos and it did not improve the pic/vid taking ability to even a minor extent.  Thought it was an upgrade and so went with it.  On reflection, it only chews up memory endlessly (IMHO) backing up stuff :sad:

Not aware of Camera FV-5 but do not feel I even need to look as Open Camera has the one feature that I have dreamed about over the 3 years I've had this phone and that is ZOOMING!!!  Cannot count the times I wished I had been able to zoom a bit closer while doing a pic/vid in LOS.  And now I can :Party3:

Also don't fiddle with all the special stuff Open Camera provides but it's nice to have...  An enthusiast may have a play with it over a beer one day...

Archived