Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Renewing a 1 year license

devee8

If my 1 year motorbike has expired and I need a new 5 year license how long after the 1 yr license finishes can I get my new 5 year license ? and is it a matter of just asking for it or do you have to do another test etc. 

a mate of mine renewed his one year over 4 months after .. my girl says its up to 3 months after

no more test nothing just pay

You can apply for your 5 year license up to 1 month before your 1 year license expires.

no more test nothing just pay

You'll have a quick physical test.

The whole process will take less than 2 hours (I did it this morning!).

BUT in order to get a 5 year license you must have a non immigrant visa or permission to stay.  You can get a 1 years DL on a tourist visa, but that will not fly for a 5 year license

You can apply for your 5 year license up to 1 month before your 1 year license expires.

You'll have a quick physical test.

The whole process will take less than 2 hours (I did it this morning!).

did mine a year a go and all i had to do was pay to change it.. must have changed since then..

BUT in order to get a 5 year license you must have a non immigrant visa or permission to stay.  You can get a 1 years DL on a tourist visa, but that will not fly for a 5 year license

i've only ever had 30 stamps and i've got a 5 year one

unless its just come in this year...?

Maybe not same in Pattaya but yesterday my GF renew her 1 year license

here in Khorat and they ask her a new health certificate that she of course not have ;)

So she just go to hospital ask for the paper.

Now she is ok for 5 year

i've only ever had 30 stamps and i've got a 5 year one

unless its just come in this year...?

If you did that at Pattaya DLT (by Regents School) then you were very lucky. I am on my 3rd 1 year renewal and could not get a 5 year without an extended visa/extension of stay which I never needed so was always on visa waiver stamps. Never heard of anybody else in Pattaya managing it either so kudos to you. Outside of the major cities then maybe possible

You would still have needed medical and residence certs however and normally I think you do the vision and reaction tests.........?

So it probably best to get a medical certificate and take it as it a reasonable ride/drive out to regents

Personally I would take a ride out and check exactly what they want........then go back and hopefully get it right.

Don't you need a new Residence Cert from Jomtien (sorry can't remember) - if so, that's where the Visa vs Waiver stamp others have mentioned issue is decided.

when i renuwed for my 5 years license october last ,i  needed medical  for each license  original & copys international license and original country license , i had ,but did not needed the 2 residence certificata as they said adres is on my 1 year licence .....! as always everything different depending who on the counter....TIT , also i got all my copys back  (?!)    .  This at regent school transport office , also reaction test and colour test needed to do again . This with O visa 1 year .

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

If you did that at Pattaya DLT (by Regents School) then you were very lucky. I am on my 3rd 1 year renewal and could not get a 5 year without an extended visa/extension of stay which I never needed so was always on visa waiver stamps. Never heard of anybody else in Pattaya managing it either so kudos to you. Outside of the major cities then maybe possible

You would still have needed medical and residence certs however and normally I think you do the vision and reaction tests.........?

no not for changing from a 1 year to a 5 year but my girl did her renewal for another 5 years in september and she had to sit the high way code test, vision and the other one with the controls but not the driving one.

• 2 weeks later...

I second this.  I tried to renew and couldn't get a 5yr and was told I needed a 1yr visa to get a 5yr renewal. 

Me and my mate did ours around 3 months apart and we both got 5 years well i say 5 years i've just looked and its clearly 5 years and 6 months... 

both on the 30 day stamp

Photo on 15-02-2014 at 10.08.jpg

at the time of renewing my license i never had any visas in my passport, so maybe i was just lucky and my friend was also just lucky 3 months after me...!

• 1 month later...

I have to renew my 1 year liscense which is one year out of date. Will have to go through the whole process again.

I did mine around 3-4 months late - had to pay a few hundred baht extra that was all.  They made me do the tests again - eyesight / reactions etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx xerive - there maybe hope for me yet. I want to stay legal as much as poss.

Archived