IGNORED

learning thai

pockets88

greetings all, some more questions about learning thai, i think i have got this phrase correct but if i am making a mistake please correct me

dehk poo ying phen dehk

confused me at first but i think it means that a girl is a child/adolecent, am i correct in thinking that dehk can mean child, youngster or baby and anything youth related? i think the word is phen, it sounds like ben on the cd i know some letters do not have the same sounds like tua for example, does phen mean is and does its use change the meaning of dehk.

another one is poo ying [bphen] poo yai, i know yai means big but by putting poo in front of it does this change it into adult/ grown up, so the sentence would be a woman is a adult, it sounds more senseable than the woman is big.

the word tee is confusing me does it mean is, but it seems to appear quite often can it mean more than one thing ?

all help will be welcome

thanks

greetings all, some more questions about learning thai, i think i have got this phrase correct but if i am making a mistake please correct me

dehk poo ying phen dehk

confused me at first but i think it means that a girl is a child/adolecent, am i correct in thinking that dehk can mean child, youngster or baby and anything youth related? i think the word is phen, it sounds like ben on the cd i know some letters do not have the same sounds like tua for example, does phen mean is and does its use change the meaning of dehk.

another one is poo ying [bphen] poo yai, i know yai means big but by putting poo in front of it does this change it into adult/ grown up, so the sentence would be a woman is a adult, it sounds more senseable than the woman is big.

the word tee is confusing me does it mean is, but it seems to appear quite often can it mean more than one thing ?

all help will be welcome

thanks

oh and another thing that has me confused is qualifiers for example, mar tua lehk, a small horse, mar tua yai, a large horse glong bai lehk, a small box, glong bai yai a big box, ok tua is a qualifier for animals and i guess bai is for box i get that but this one loses me is kon tua lek and kon tua yai both were about people so why do they have tua the qualifier for animals? kon is the qualifier for people so why is it at the begining of the sentence :wacko::GrinNod1:

dehk poo ying phen dehk

all help will be welcome

thanks

Dehk poo ying bpen dehk means the young girl is a child. Dehk is a noun meaning child or infant. When you double this noun, dehk dehk means children in general. Bpen does mean is and does not alter the meaning of dehk.

Poo ying bpen poo yai does mean the women is an adult.

The word tee has many meanings. When used with people it can be translated as the relative pronoun who.

Example= Kon tee yaak rian paa-saa thai tawng chai Rosseta Stone.

People who want to learn the thai language should use Rosseta Stone.

You are right again with your final point about the word tua. However it also has several meanings. It is the classifier for animals(and many other things) but also means body.

Kon tua lek = a small person. Kon tua yai = a big person.