IGNORED

Wi Fi issues at VT6

socrates

Currently staying at VT6

My issue is that my laptop which is connected wirelessly just will not connect to the Internet even though it shows as connected

My tablet and phone are fine

I have tried all the self help stuff online but getting nowhere

Is anyone staying here who knows about this stuff I know it is a DNS issue that is causing the problem

Drop me a PM if you can help or if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thanks in advance

Could it be your log-on only permits a certain number of devices to be connected simultaneously?

Build a man a fire,and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Could it be your log-on only permits a certain number of devices to be connected simultaneously?

And that was the answer too many devices - I had altered the set up and now it is working fine - for the time being!

For windows Vista

open command prompt

type ipconfig/flushdns

hit enter

clear your cache -menu -tools - options- network - hit clear

Right click your computer icon in the lower right hand corner - left click diagnose and repair.

Edit: Good analysis Klongwater.

Currently staying at VT6

My issue is that my laptop which is connected wirelessly just will not connect to the Internet even though it shows as connected

My tablet and phone are fine

I have tried all the self help stuff online but getting nowhere

Is anyone staying here who knows about this stuff I know it is a DNS issue that is causing the problem

Drop me a PM if you can help or if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thanks in advance

If it's a DNS issue then it should impact your tablet and phone just the same.  Unless you have specific DNS configured for your laptop.

If you truly believe it is DNS issue, then manually set your DNS entry to these two:

Google Public DNS

and

OpenDNS Public DNS

At VT6, the "Wireless" is unit by unit.  Each unit has its own router.  So Unless you have like 10+ devices, I can't imagine you have "too many" devices.  Perhaps you can recycle the modem and router at your unit.  Look for it, and unplug the power from wall for 30 seconds then plug them back in.

That said, I typically bring my own portable router like this:

Asus  Router

With all my devices configured to use my portable router.  Then when I am at hotel or VT6, just plug it into wall socket and all is right.

I have this problem intermittently. When the guys at True installed my router I could only connect on Wifi using my iPad. Both my iPod and laptop failed, but i could still connect with the laptop over an Ethernet cable. They spent some time trying to resolve the WiFi but couldn't get it fixed and didn't seem to have a clue what the problem was. I wasn't too concerned since the iPad worked fine, I could use the Ethernet cable for my laptop, and I don't use the iPod for Internet anyway.

Eventually the crap router they supplied had to be replaced and all my devices were able to connect over WiFi once again with the new router. This lasted for a few weeks before I could again no longer connect the laptop or iPod (but the iPad still worked), so I went back to using the cable for my laptop connection.

I tried disconnecting the cable today and now I find all my devices can connect wirelessly once again. I made no configuration changes to the router and can only assume my provider is changing the settings remotely.

But I never had these problems when I lived in VT6 and used my own router there with TOT as provider.

Retired

Archived