IGNORED

My First Visit to Kanchanaburi

Piece Corp

Kanchanaburi is a regional city of 35,000 located 130 km west of Bangkok, a picturesque river town with an abundance of cultural, historical, and natural attractions.

GETTING THERE

Trains and buses depart Bangkok's Thonburi stations, so the most convenient and economical method of transport is a minivan from Victory Monument.  Fare was 120 baht for the 2.5 hour journey.

ACCOMODATION

I booked the River Kwai hotel online for about 1100 baht, breakfast included.  I felt this was good value, although about 1.5 km from the bar area and 4 km from The Bridge. 

DSC_9926.JPG

The hotel has Glitzy niteclub, where local Thai bands play extremely loud music until early morning.  Fortunately, my room was in the hotel's rear and isolated from the noise.  There's also an open-air beer bar on the premises.

DSC_9924.JPG

KANCHANABURI WAR CEMETERY

Centrally located, the cemetery is the permanent resting place of several thousand WWII POWs who made the ultimate sacrifice while working on the Death Railway, an alternate supply line to Burma built by the Japanese at a horrific cost of human life.

DSC_9929.JPGDSC_9935.JPGDSC_9940.JPGDSC_9944.JPGDSC_9956.JPG

DOWNTOWN

I inquired about a full day tour package that included Erawan Falls and Hell Fire Pass for 890 baht from one of the tour operators but they wouldn't accept a single traveler, so I rented a bicycle from Yanees for 80 baht/day.  There was no deposit required since the bike wasn't worth much more, but could brake as long as I wasn't going downhill.  The attendant tried to sell me on a bike with basket for only 50 baht, looked in good condition, but it was a girl's bike.  I could only think of Phil Silvers and Jonathan Winters in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.  "That bike for lady", I protested.  The attendants though my reservations very amusing, I'll sniff the seat but I'm not riding.

The view of downtown.

DSC_9978.JPG

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

About 3 km outside of town, the bridge made famous by the novel and movie of the same name. 

DSC_0108.JPGDSC_9981.JPGDSC_9993.JPGDSC_0034.JPG

Open to pedestrian traffic, but also operational.  Make way for the passenger train bound for Nam Tok.

DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0011.JPG

This locomotive was used to transport ammunition to Burma

DSC_0115.JPG

Allied bombing destroyed two spans in 1945.  The bridge was repaired after the war.

DSC_0112.JPG

Floating restaurants at the foot of the bridge

DSC_0033.JPG

There's a beautiful temple on the opposite side of the river

DSC_9992.JPGDSC_0072.JPGDSC_0054.JPGDSC_0056.JPG

EATS

Thanks to Trip Adviser, Nut's Restaurant is now world famous for their pumpkin curry, 100 baht with either chicken or shrimp.

DSC_9959.JPG

DRINK

There seemed to be a consistent theme

DSC_0120.JPGDSC_0121.JPG

This bar was quite interesting mon, with dudes in dread locks playing reggae mon.  I thought I smelled some ganja while walking buy, but maybe just the music.  I shot the sheriff.  Very cool, mon.

DSC_9965.JPG

Another promotion for 'green' tourism

DSC_9970.JPG

This seems just a bit disrespectful.  How about a Muslim equivalent?

DSC_9967.JPG

Nothing hits the spot on a hot afternoon like an ice-cold Thatcher's Gold, 160 baht.

DSC_9977.JPG

In the evening, these bars had some fairly attractive girls.

DSC_9960.JPG

RIVER PARADISE

Arriving back at my hotel, sticky and drenched with sweat, I'm ready for a shower. But is there a better alternative?  This building, right next to the hotel, looks like a soapy massage

DSC_9919.JPG

There are only Thais inside.  Papasan invites me to sit and order a drink, coke is 40 baht.  The topography is poor, it's difficult to scrutinize the girls.  There's a fishbowl flanked by two sets of couches.  Papasan explains that fishbowl girls are 2000, sideliners on couches to the left are 3000, and sideliners to the right are 3500.  There are only 4 fishbowl girls and they've seen better days.  About a dozen girls to the left and another half dozen to the right.  Some sideliners are very doable but rates are higher than I expected.  I select a very cute 3000 girl who speaks absolutely no English at all, but it's not a problem and she treats me to a very nice BBBJ.  We shag in multiple positions and I leave feeling quite refreshed.

In summary, I really enjoyed my initial visit to this relaxing town, I'll definitely be coming back.  Next trip I plan to rent a car and driver to take me to Hell Fire Pass.  After walking the route, thinking about all the brave who perished, I'll have the driver drop me at Nam Tok where I'll catch the 2 hour scenic train ride back to Kanchanabui, over the Wang Po viaduct (also built by POWs).  Another must see is the Erawan Falls.

Retired

Great report & photos.

I've already booked for 2 nights for my trip next month. Going by this update, I'm glad I did.

However luckily for me, I'll be bringing my TGF as I'm expecting it to be rather quiet at night. :WinkGrin1:

Nice report & pix, thanks. I've been to Kanchanaburi a few times. Always enjoyed it. Last time was about 5 years ago. Looks like the tourist-oriented bar scene has expanded. Nice to hear the soapy next to the River Kwai hotel is still there. I've stayed in the River Kwai hotel a couple of times. Last time I stayed at the Pong Phen Guesthouse and will stay there again the next time I go.

Thanks for this Piece Corp,  brought back some great memories.   I have been there too,  took some girls up from Bangkok, they loved it,  hope you don't mind me adding a few pics. 

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

h102.JPG

h101.JPG

Stevie

Thanks for posting your photos. I'm already thinking about my next visit. I'll avoid the Tiger Temple which promotes cruelty to animals and I think it's too hot to be out on the river (unless early morning), but I'd like to see the falls and hell fire pass, and also try the floating accommodations. For a few hundred baht you can rent a room on a raft.

Retired

Great report PC. It is really sad to hear about the Tiger Temple now. Went there a couple of times about 8-10 years ago, and it was on the last trip that they had started talking about how little money was going back into the running of the sanctuary and the poor animal health. Didn't see it at the time and it was a great place to visit especially if you love animals as all the animals in the sanctuary were completely approachable and relaxed. You could even walk straight up to the deer who can be so skittish.

Look forward to your next report as it is such a great area with some very relevant history.

On the same day we visited the Kwai Bridge we also visited the Tiger Temple, the only cruelty i saw was that they were chained to the ground, but then they had to be as there were wild deer and hogs wandering around the sanctuary.  It was worth a visit one time as i don't know where else on the planet you could come so close to these magnificent animals without being eaten.  I wouldn't bother going again though.

h114.JPG

h115.JPG

h116.JPG

h117.JPG

Stevie

You're a brave man, SB. A tourist was attacked just a few months ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2407513/Student-19-mauled-400lb-tiger-Thailand-popular-tourist-attraction.html

Do they shut it down?

Visit at your own risk.

Retired

I hadn't seen that Daily mail article before,  and i must admit there were a few scary moments but after going up there i wasn't going to miss a photo opportunity like this. Like i said i wouldn't do it again though.

Thanks for this thread mate.   

Stevie

Hey Piece Corp,

Any more pics?

Stevie

Piece Corp , did you go to HellFire Pass , if not , definately worth the trip for another time

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Piece Corp , did you go to HellFire Pass , if not , definately worth the trip for another time

What is this Hell Fire Pass ?  I've heard of it but don't know what or where it is.

Stevie

@stillearly,  i don't have time now but i will tale a read at the later,  thanks.

Stevie

Never been but must have been a real sombering experience

Sadly it Reminds me of the ww1 cemeteries I saw in Ypres :-(

Thanks for the report

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went there for my first trip 15 years ago not a day to forget in a hurry so many dead But my big memory is the heat what them guys must have gone through no cold beer at the end of the day for them

MIKE

excellent report with helpful links.

kan is definitely the best  mini-trip I have taken anywhere in Thailand.

+1

• 9 months later...

I have stayed in the River Kwai hotel once but did not get to try the night club or beer bar, any report on those ?

Archived