IGNORED

health insurance

balls

hi all,

i am looking into long term health insurance for relocating to LOS (just thinking at minute, workin the numbers)

how do you get cheap insurance (bupa type) for private care? is it better to buy local or in UK ( i wouldnt imagine UK to be cheaper for a second, but you never know!)

does anyone know roughly how much P/a?

i would like to consider repatriation cover, unless it is much cheaper without.

does anyone know where, i had heard talk of a place on second road for £200 p.a., but i would like confirmation on that amount if possible as it seems awfully cheap.

what do you guys that live there do for health insurance??

many thanks in advance.

a lot of insurance companies wont cover you if your over 65 and a lot of them who you have insured with will dump you when you hit that age. I was advised that BUPA will continue your cover if you get in before the age of 65 so have a look at www.bupathailand.com. they are on sukhumvit road in north pattaya.

I got insurance with BUPA last year. I went with the Emerald plan at a cost of 13,536 Baht. I looked into this in the UK and it was cheaper to get it here. Your age makes a difference I was 43 when I took it out.

Tomski - I can help you all you like re this but first you need to establsh HOW you are relocating long term? Are you getting married in secret mate?

Its a bane on my life - costs me over $450US a month - I have family Diamond with BUPA here but I am 47 with a family of 4 to cover so my personal experience will not be too relevant to you.

If you are just coming on a 12 month non-Im O - you can get 290 days cover from Lloyds Bank for a single trip (via Axa I think). Twelve month multi-trip policies require a return to the UK within 90 days!

For the remaining time it might be best to pay as you go or get some short term cover here i.e. on a monthly premium rather than annual and the just stop it when the 12 months are up i.e. use the 290 policy then you have about 2 months left to insure for.

The "low cost" policies ARE available in Thailand (I assume thats what the 2nd Road oe is) but they are little value. Someone tried to flog me a policy for 15,000 baht but it ony covered medical expenses up to about 50,000 so the premium/benefit ratio on those things is very low.

Remember as a "whipper snapper" you can't just up sticks and stay in Thailand - THAT is the first problem to resolve.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

you can get health insurance thru either of the Pattaya expat clubs at 40% reduced rates, thru AA insurance. It costs about 10500Baht/year and covers you for 1 million baht.It is the same as the plan one step above Bupa Emerald(Silver?) .It will cover you after 65, if you get it before you reach that age.Max out on travel insurance from your own country first ,which will usually cover you for the first 6 the months(depending on where your from).The insurance is good anywhere in the world

but 1 mil baht will only cover the price of a band-aid in the states, but is considered adequate in SE Asia. You can add more coverage for outpatient and evacuation. Check out the expatclub websites for more info.I spent a month doing my due dilligence

on this issue and settled for this. I'm not sure what coverage you can buy in the UK beyond travel insurance, and that usually has a time limit and can get very expensive.

I don't like Bupa, The price was OK but when when my wife was in the hospital, They made up a bunch of lies so they would not have to pay. When this years health care coverage is up, I will be going with someone new. But I don't know who that will be yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Bupa does not like to pay and that I have experienced myself. I switched to AIA and coupled in a hospital plan with my life insurance.

You are getting on TOMSKI could be expensive........ :D

Thai Visa Express

Registered UK Immigration Consultants 

OISC F200700163 UK Immigration Consultants

Impartial UK Immigration Advice - Expect An Honest Visa Assessment - NO Win No Agents Fees.

Web: www.thaivisa-express.com

Face Book : Thaivisaexpressthailand

OISC : https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-immigration-services-commissioner

Email : [email protected]

Tel : 0801022328

Tel :038420313

Tel UK : 020 -0281 -338 -059

Guest Gabor

If not BUPA ( on what way they trying to not pay ? )... any other recommendations? ( In Thailand ) The insurance cover only emergency costs or included the long term cure ? Any idea if I want to be covered full ? ( Not returning home if anything happens )

Hi Whitespider

Did you say that you are paying $450 US a month for health insurance - that seems to me to be a hefty premium. Why is it so high or am I grossly underestimating the actual cost of Health cover in LOS ?/

Roderick

Tomski - I can help you all you like re this but first you need to establsh HOW you are relocating long term? Are you getting married in secret mate?

Its a bane on my life - costs me over $450US a month - I have family Diamond with BUPA here but I am 47 with a family of 4 to cover so my personal experience will not be too relevant to you.

If you are just coming on a 12 month non-Im O - you can get 290 days cover from Lloyds Bank for a single trip (via Axa I think). Twelve month multi-trip policies require a return to the UK within 90 days!

For the remaining time it might be best to pay as you go or get some short term cover here i.e. on a monthly premium rather than annual and the just stop it when the 12 months are up i.e. use the 290 policy then you have about 2 months left to insure for.

The "low cost" policies ARE available in Thailand (I assume thats what the 2nd Road oe is) but they are little value. Someone tried to flog me a policy for 15,000 baht but it ony covered medical expenses up to about 50,000 so the premium/benefit ratio on those things is very low.

Remember as a "whipper snapper" you can't just up sticks and stay in Thailand - THAT is the first problem to resolve.

• 4 months later...
Bupa does not like to pay and that I have experienced myself. I switched to AIA and coupled in a hospital plan with my life insurance.

BUPA refused to pay for an operation I had at Bumrungard several years ago. If anybody goes for AIA they should check the length of time treatment will be paid for. If it is for a Thai it will only be for 3 months...then you are on your own!!!

I pay 1000 euros a year they take care of me , Los who knows

• 4 weeks later...