Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Internet Access

Aussie79

Hi All,

I am hoping this is the best forum for this question.  I am coming to Pattaya in a week and staying at the Page 10 hotel. Essentially I will be required to a work a few hours each day to keep on top of things back in the office. Previously I have had issues logging in remotely from wifi connections around and at the Page 10 due to firewall issues with the internet connections (I logged into a windows terminal server via RDC).  However this time I will be using a Citrix portal and that should hopefully alleviate these issues.  However if it still occurs I may need to get a mobile internet card/dongle.  Does anyone know what these cost (approx) and what performance is like?  Is it better than some of the wifi connections at hotels/bars etc?

Cheers

Her is a link to internet packages by Dtac: Internet  As you can see it is quite cheap and other carriers have similar for similar prices.

I have found it fairly reliable but overall it will be slower than a WiFi connection.

My suggestion would be to get a small amount of hours and use it when/if the hotel WiFi is shit. If you have a phone that can connect to mobile internet you can use that rather than paying for another bit of gear.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I don't see how Citrix client will alleviate issues that you had with RDC. it's about the same. RDC (client) was licensed by MS from Citrix a long time ago. IMHO Citrix client is lower overhead but the issue is going to be latency not so much the bandwidth (assuming it is reasonable). The dongles about 1000 baht last time I looked. Then you need service (sim card) which depending... .might be about 800-1000 a month. You may be able to get 3g speeds. you may find your latency is better. I don't believe that it will be faster than a reasonable wifi.

Another option is a) go to a better hotel, b) go to an internet café (like the one that is or used to be near the backway to tukcom off 3rd road). They had some killer speeds and low latency to the west.

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure what the difference between RDC and Citrix is but our IT nerd at work said it should have fewer issues and perform better.  It definitely performs much faster working remotely now.  The internet cafe might be the option if the speeds are too painful. Anyway I am trying to get the bulk of my work done before I go so I am not doing much more than emails here and there. 

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure what the difference between RDC and Citrix is but our IT nerd at work said it should have fewer issues and perform better.  It definitely performs much faster working remotely now.  The internet cafe might be the option if the speeds are too painful. Anyway I am trying to get the bulk of my work done before I go so I am not doing much more than emails here and there. 

RDC was built and is stable and the protocol doesn't change often, if at all.

Citirix is constantly being updated so it benefits from new algorithms, debugging, etc.

There is plenty of fiber optic internet in Pattaya, and the latencies should be good enough for either. Just make sure you stay at a hotel with fiber.  [there is at least one hotel in Jometien with CAT fiber]

3G dongles have higher latency, and more pertinently, have variable latency depending on the signal and interference. I did use a citirx client over China Unicoms 3G and it worked ok, late at night, but I'd have been much happier with a land line connection.

Citrix sucks from my experience in Singapore.

Deadly slow a lot of the time. YMMV

I have know problems with citrix using ais 3gig for 800 Baht. A bit slow sometimes.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Archived