IGNORED

Martin Guitar

blumfun

Want to buy a Martin Guitar  while in Pattaya.  Any stores that may offer this?

Kinda doubt you'll find one in Patts, you'd need to visit an upmarket music store in BKK. Also keep an eye on the music section of Craiglist.

Google Martin and see who handles them in BKK. If you don't have any luck PM me and I'll dig out some business cards I have from BKK guitar stores.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a large music store on Sukumvit (spelling??) Rd near Pattaya Klang. Can't think of anywhere else in Pattaya.

The store on Suk. Road is opposite Thepprasit Road.

It's called Suriya Music.

up to you

Take extra care with a Martin. It doesn't like dry air (constant air conditioning), heat and moisture (everywhere else in Patts/BKK), and especially moving back and forth between those climates. Very easy to develop cracks in the front and back, and you'll find the bridge will move, alternately resulting in high and low action. Best to keep a quality humidifier in the case 24/7.

Also can be problematic with used Martins (or any fine wooden instrument.) Go over it with a fine tooth comb for cracks and make sure the neck/bridge/nut are setup to your liking. Remember that pre-1985 Martin's had no truss rod, i.e. any curvature of the fretboard will require a refretting. Two way truss rods didn't arrive till 2006.

Take extra care with a Martin. It doesn't like dry air (constant air conditioning), heat and moisture (everywhere else in Patts/BKK), and especially moving back and forth between those climates. Very easy to develop cracks in the front and back, and you'll find the bridge will move, alternately resulting in high and low action. Best to keep a quality humidifier in the case 24/7.

Also can be problematic with used Martins (or any fine wooden instrument.) Go over it with a fine tooth comb for cracks and make sure the neck/bridge/nut are setup to your liking. Remember that pre-1985 Martin's had no truss rod, i.e. any curvature of the fretboard will require a refretting. Two way truss rods didn't arrive till 2006.

I didn't know the modern truss rod was so recent a development.  Are you sure?

BTW, on the Martin or any finer guitar I second the caution due to climate here.  If it wasn't such a hassle to travel with a guitar I was going to bring a Composite Acoustics I bought in the states as they are impervious to humidity.  In the end I didn't this trip and my guitar here is still OK.

As far as I know there are no stores in Pattaya area that handle any higher end guitars.  Best I have seen is Yamaha.  And I'd avoid Bangkok for the time being.  

As far as I know there are no stores in Pattaya area that handle any higher end guitars.

What about High C?

up to you

@fatjack - truss rods have been around for a long time, but Martin was very late to adopt them. I don't know why.

From the Martin website: "The one-way adjustable truss rod was implemented in 1985. The two-way truss rod was implemented in 2006. This rod is recessed further than the one-way rod and you will not see it."

My mid 70s HD-28 has no rod.

Another thought. The scallop braced models will probably be more susceptible to humidity changes than non-scalloped.

One Martin tech states: "A scalloped braced guitar will be looser and have a broader, bigger sound and response level than a straight braced guitar.

However, if you live below the Mason Dixon line like I do, I've seen many scalloped braced guitars with very humpy tops because the guitar was played in high heat or high humidity. What is ideal is to have a scallop braced guitar to play at home or indoors and a straight brace guitar that is more stable to play in undesirable conditions."

@fatjack - truss rods have been around for a long time, but Martin was very late to adopt them. I don't know why.

From the Martin website: "The one-way adjustable truss rod was implemented in 1985. The two-way truss rod was implemented in 2006. This rod is recessed further than the one-way rod and you will not see it."

My mid 70s HD-28 has no rod.

Another thought. The scallop braced models will probably be more susceptible to humidity changes than non-scalloped.

One Martin tech states: "A scalloped braced guitar will be looser and have a broader, bigger sound and response level than a straight braced guitar.

However, if you live below the Mason Dixon line like I do, I've seen many scalloped braced guitars with very humpy tops because the guitar was played in high heat or high humidity. What is ideal is to have a scallop braced guitar to play at home or indoors and a straight brace guitar that is more stable to play in undesirable conditions."

Good info.  I had no idea Martin was so slow to adopt the truss rod.  I have a Santa Cruz VJ here in Pattaya and so far (knock on wood) it has been brilliant.  No signs or humping or cracking or neck out of alignment.  I bought used 4-5 years back and it is either out in my condo on a stand when I am in town with AC on while I am home and off when I go out, or it is in the case for months at a time with NO AC in the room.

I have been impressed so far.  Thankfully.  I bought it used from a fellow Yank and after I did realized how good a deal I got based on what the same guitar would sell for in the stores in BKK now.  It isn't perfect in looks but is close in tone and action.

However I don't expect it will last forever.  I recently bought a Composite Acoustics in Arizona.  Not a bit of wood in the guitar.  Totally impervious to humidity and heat.  I was going to bring it here but at the last minute I had flight issues and couldn't risk it.  

The SCVJ - What a great find! Got that vintage Gibson J45 sound, but more dynamics with the long scale and better playability than a 75 year old guitar. Treat that baby right!

I'll try to go demo one of Peavey's Composite Acoustics. Seems like what they've done for touring/working acoustic players follows what Geoff Gould of Modulus did for bass players... Give us a great instrument that is 100% consistent come hell or high water.

I've thought about doing to my Tele what a number of touring players do. Put threaded inserts into the neck where it bolts on, switch to machine screws to attach it, and actually unbolt the neck, putting the guitar in a large briefcase every time they get on a plane.

Happy Trails....

I've thought about doing to my Tele what a number of touring players do. Put threaded inserts into the neck where it bolts on, switch to machine screws to attach it, and actually unbolt the neck, putting the guitar in a large briefcase every time they get on a plane.

Wouldn't that require removing the strings every time you pack it?

up to you

The SCVJ - What a great find! Got that vintage Gibson J45 sound, but more dynamics with the long scale and better playability than a 75 year old guitar. Treat that baby right!

I'll try to go demo one of Peavey's Composite Acoustics. Seems like what they've done for touring/working acoustic players follows what Geoff Gould of Modulus did for bass players... Give us a great instrument that is 100% consistent come hell or high water.

Happy Trails....

Thanks.  I really do appreciate the SC.  It is a sweet well balanced sounding guitar really suited to finger-style.

I didn't realize Peavey owned/bought Composite Acoustics.  I got mine used and so far true love.  No, it doesn't sound as good unplugged as my SCVJ or my McPherson I play in the states.  But I love the fact I don't worry about leaving it out (Arizona is also hard on wood).  And plugged in if you areplayig with others the iBeam system is great and the guitar sounds more natural.  

Archived