IGNORED

Wilkipedia learn Thai

LaaMok

I have just looked at it. Kind of puts you off bothering doesn't it? I understand that even if a visitor speaks and understands Thai very well the bg's will simply revert to speaking Isaan so you will be knackered anyway. They don't want us to understand what they are saying about us really.

All the same I have bought the Becker "Thai for Beginners" book and CD's and am trying to work through them. I am sick of my language skills being limited to Sawatdee khrap and hong nam. I hope by the time I go back I can at least ask directions properly in Thai and hold a basic conversation with Thais not in the bar game. Wish me luck!

I have just looked at it. Kind of puts you off bothering doesn't it? I understand that even if a visitor speaks and understands Thai very well the bg's will simply revert to speaking Isaan so you will be knackered anyway. They don't want us to understand what they are saying about us really.

All the same I have bought the Becker "Thai for Beginners" book and CD's and am trying to work through them. I am sick of my language skills being limited to Sawatdee khrap and hong nam. I hope by the time I go back I can at least ask directions properly in Thai and hold a basic conversation with Thais not in the bar game. Wish me luck!

Dont let it get you down - all the non bar girls i chatted with loved it when i made an effort with thai, and i speak virtually none. They seem to just be happy that you are making an effort and taking an interest in their country. Good luck!

Followed the first bit mostly and found quite a few lights coming in the first half page which I have struggled with using other methods, then got lost when they started using the Royal Transliteration system in the second load of charts. I'll never master it but find that plugging away a bit at a time very slowly pays dividends. My problem is that I tend to snack away at the different resources out there.

Got the MP3s on the phone for 2moro Bryan, Cheers