IGNORED

Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision....

Edge

Where's Darren?

Stolen from Thaivisa :-

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau will ask the Foreign Ministry to reconsider the decision to exempt visa fees for tourists and travelers from 17 countries.

The 17 countries are Australia, England, the United States, Germany, France, Sweden, Canada, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland,Norway, Israel, United Arab Emitrates, Spain and New Zealand.

Immigration commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlarpphol explained that the reason for reconsideration was that the 17 countries still charge visa fees on Thai nationals.

The visa fee exemption should be reciprocal in order to be fair to Thai tourists and travelers wishing to visit those countries, he said, adding that, moreover, applying for visas to visit the US and England by Thai nationals is very complicated and problematic.

The immigration chief said further that charging visa fees would help screen visitors to Thailand, especially criminal elements and tricksters who may capitalize on the privilege to come to Thailand to seek refuge or to commit crimes.

He recommended two options of charging visa fees: the first is a minimum flat rate of 1,000 baht for each visa and the second which is to charge the same rates impose by those countries for Thai visitors which range from 750-3,900 baht.

-- Thai PBS 2013-12-19

Cambodia is looking better and better. :GoldenSmile1:

Cambodia is looking better and better. :GoldenSmile1:

On this issue, how come?

Visa for Cambodia is $20 up to $28 for e-Visa for 30 days, not free like Thailand.

they start talking like this and there is little idea what they are getting at. Is this the 60 day tourist visa that would be free ? The 90 visa's ?  It says nothing about 'permission to stay' stamps which we think of as visa but really isn't.

This guy wants reciprocal treatment ? Then how about letting farang buy an acre of land like Thai's can do in the USA.

I'm assuming this is referring to the free entry on arrival for travellers staying less than 30 days.

That would be a nice little earner.  A quick wander around on the Web showed the last international traveller arrivals data at just over 19,000,000 back in 2011.  A large portion of those travellers would be holidaymakers and business persons arriving on a free entry ticket.  Even at 1,000THB a head that's a quick intake of income for very little effort assuming 'pay on arrival'.

There is, of course, a reason that many other nations have a complicated and relatively expensive Visa process.  Time has shown it's a method that helps cut down on arrivals that are not intending to ever leave again, and to limit dubious activities.

I can't imagine that those are quite such big issues with tourism to Thailand.

I tend to wonder if this is part of the usual 'times are hard so let's increase the prices' mentality that seems to be part of the Thai culture.  I'm sure if this happens we will still be travelling, as even at the suggested upper fee levels it's relatively little money to the average monger.  A few of the less wealthy nationalities might have to reconsider their trips though.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

It's apples and oranges. Thais are required to apply for a visa to these countries because of fears about overstaying. The charge relates to the administrative cost of dealing with the application.

they start talking like this and there is little idea what they are getting at. Is this the 60 day tourist visa that would be free ? The 90 visa's ?  It says nothing about 'permission to stay' stamps which we think of as visa but really isn't.

"Exempt Visa Fees" i.e. Visa Waiver or Visa Exemption.

Nothing to do with current Visas or Extensions of Stay.

I assume it would be a new 30 day Visa such as is required for Cambodia and Laos.

Just an idea probably, but it would bring in quite a lot of Baht.

It would be a blow for border runners who currently get another 30 days for nipping out and back in - Cambodia gets $20 out of that and Thailand does the work for free.

It's apples and oranges. Thais are required to apply for a visa to these countries because of fears about overstaying. The charge relates to the administrative cost of dealing with the application.

:-) Seems farang overstaying Thailand is also somewhat of an issue as well. :-) (that is if they don't have the money for a visa run). :-)

................ that's a quick intake of income for very little effort assuming 'pay on arrival'.

There is, of course, a reason that many other nations have a complicated and relatively expensive Visa process.  Time has shown it's a method that helps cut down on arrivals that are not intending to ever leave again, and to limit dubious activities.

I can't imagine that those are quite such big issues with tourism to Thailand.

As above, Thailand already does the work for free, while their neighbours collect the dosh, so it's not too surprising that someone is suggesting it.

I'm sure you're right that dodgy characters coming into Thailand on Visa Waiver with no intention of leaving isn't a big issue........or am I?  :LOL2:

As above, Thailand already does the work for free, while their neighbours collect the dosh, so it's not too surprising that someone is suggesting it.

I'm sure you're right that dodgy characters coming into Thailand on Visa Waiver with no intention of leaving isn't a big issue........or am I?  :LOL2:

Yeah, I know there are dodgy characters arriving in LoS :P .

I can't see Thailand as being such a huge target for international criminal activity or potential overstayers as, for example, Australia though.  

The average western traveller is not intent on getting into LoS to work illegally and vanish into the community because the lifestyle for an average income earner in Thailand is so fantastic.  Conversely we have people dying on tiny boats as they try to immigrate illegally and obtain the freedoms and lifestyle here in Aus'.

Likewise, criminal activity tends to focus on places where the disposable income of the populace is high, and in overall terms that really isn't much of the Thai population.

I have no issue with the Thais charging for entry, but I'm guessing I would be right in thinking that the free entry concept is there because Thailand needs to encourage the tourist money to keep flowing into the country.  Imposing a Visa fee is simply redirecting some of tourist dollars into the Government coffers instead of it being spent in the general community.

Yep, it's probably 'fair' to charge for entry to Thailand if the visitors home countries charge a fee in return.  I'm still not convinced this has anything to do with fairness though, and consider it's more likely a typical Gov't cash grab.  Hey, the Aussie Gov't does the same thing to us with little taxes and levies, no reason the expect the Thais to do differently.

It's going to upset the Cheap Charlies if it happens though :GoldenSmile1: .

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

On this issue, how come?

Visa for Cambodia is $20 up to $28 for e-Visa for 30 days, not free like Thailand.

Just one more straw on the camels back :GoldenSmile1:

Yeah, I know there are dodgy characters arriving in LoS :P .

I can't see Thailand as being such a huge target for international criminal activity or potential overstayers as, for example, Australia though.  

The average western traveller is not intent on getting into LoS to work illegally and vanish into the community because the lifestyle for an average income earner in Thailand is so fantastic.  Conversely we have people dying on tiny boats as they try to immigrate illegally and obtain the freedoms and lifestyle here in Aus'.

Likewise, criminal activity tends to focus on places where the disposable income of the populace is high, and in overall terms that really isn't much of the Thai population.

It's going to upset the Cheap Charlies if it happens though :GoldenSmile1: .

Cheers

Perthie

There has been a lot in the news recently about criminals and dodgies being caught without Visas and Phuket is continuing with their purge.

No, I wasn't thinking of the likes of your 'boat people' problem, which is obviously bigger, but about people who want to live and work in your country.

I was thinking more of those who just want to hide/disappear in a country where it is possible, relatively cheap and where there are additional benefits. 

International criminals are also operating from the West, Russia, Nigeria etc though.

No effect on those Cheap Charlies here with Retirement Extensions.   :Think1:

Just one more straw on the camels back :GoldenSmile1:

Have you got the hump about something...........or two humps?

Re' Cambodia, it depends on your situation where Visas are concerned.

In Cambodia, I believe you can stay for 12 months for about 9,000 Baht.

In Thailand, if you qualify, you can get a 12 month Extension of Stay for 1,900 Baht.

One difference is that it's much easier for dodgies to stay in Cambodia.   :WhoSaw1:

This guy wants reciprocal treatment ? Then how about letting farang buy an acre of land like Thai's can do in the USA.

Or get entry to the zoo without getting charged 5 times the Thai price ... 

Or get entry to the zoo without getting charged 5 times the Thai price ... 

:LOL2:  I'm sure your Thai DL works just fine.

Apparently they do that in the USA too.

There has been a lot in the news recently about criminals and dodgies being caught without Visas and Phuket is continuing with their purge.

No, I wasn't thinking of the likes of your 'boat people' problem, which is obviously bigger, but about people who want to live and work in your country.

I was thinking more of those who just want to hide/disappear in a country where it is possible, relatively cheap and where there are additional benefits. 

International criminals are also operating from the West, Russia, Nigeria etc though.

No effect on those Cheap Charlies here with Retirement Extensions.   :Think1:

Have you got the hump about something...........or two humps?

Re' Cambodia, it depends on your situation where Visas are concerned.

In Cambodia, I believe you can stay for 12 months for about 9,000 Baht.

In Thailand, if you qualify, you can get a 12 month Extension of Stay for 1,900 Baht.

One difference is that it's much easier for dodgies to stay in Cambodia.   :WhoSaw1:

Change is in the air.

Change is in the air.

Thunderclap Newman?

Thunderclap Newman?

."Something in the Air"

Thunderclap Newman?

."Something in the Air"

You invaded my box.....yes, good song ............

........ call out the instigators......

Archived