IGNORED

Removing the shout box ?

Mr Wiggy

How the feck do you do it ? i am sick of scrolling up and down !!

Please ignore that i had a rush of blood and worked it out :wacko:

How the feck do you do it ? i am sick of scrolling up and down !!

heck -- the shout box just dissapered on me -- and i wanted it to yay now and then..!

Below the pattaya addicts banner there is a bar that is called "pattaya addicts chat" on this bar there is a little + click this + and it should come back :Drunk_Party:

Its a sign from God

and that ----folks is the reason i dont go-----there is a HEAP OFF VOLTAGE IN LIGHTNING...... :Drunk_Party:

and that ----folks is the reason i dont go-----there is a HEAP OFF VOLTAGE IN LIGHTNING...... :Chokdee:

just as i thought ---im a heathan --god hates me --my computer hates me-- my ex wife hates me-- the dog died --- but h*ll ...my tgf loves me(or so she say's)

and shout box --still wont work....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

if im dumb---how can i tell :Drunk_Party:

• 1 year later...
Below the pattaya addicts banner there is a bar that is called "pattaya addicts chat" on this bar there is a little + click this + and it should come back :rolleyes:

nope can't find pattaya addicts chat and the +.....I think it disappeared on me, I have used the shout box forever I know where it is but it's not there now...under maintenance? but I don't see any thread saying it's under maintenance

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I haven't used the shout box since the site has been updated,

but how do you use it as I cant figure it out at all. Anyone?

DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi

seems we need a 100 posts to have the shout box

i am not there yet ,so no shouts from me yet

hi

seems we need a 100 posts to have the shout box

i am not there yet ,so no shouts from me yet

I this the good or the bad news, hehe

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

• 1 month later...

Along with some other fellow board members I enjoyed to chat on the SB while reading some interesting posts.

Now with the new format the SB appears only if you click on the menu SB.

I’m not complaining about the new format in general, but one of my reasons to visit PA quite frequently was this convenient feature.

So I send a PM to the root admin who assured to me that the SB will be back on all pages soon, as long as there will be no server problems. And indeed, for a while it was back on most pages, except on the “view new content” page. Since a few days it disappeared again.

Trying to find out where this lovely feature ahs gone I chatted (shouted) yesterday with some fellow board members and whitespider.

I extracted this form yesterdays’ conversation on the Shoutbox (27 Aug 09).

blue1878 :

(Today, 04:10 PM) Hi Soco Mofo I think bm's are not spending time in the chat box because the chat box is not displayed on every page like it used to be. In the past bm's could take a look at a posting or add to a posting and still be involved in the chat box at the same time. Bm's cannot do it anymore. I think this is something the owners of this website need to address

whitespider :

(Today, 04:27 PM) well I am here

whitespider :

(Today, 04:27 PM) Shout uses up so much resources guys

whitespider :

(Today, 04:27 PM) a server with NO shout costs $239 a month

whitespider :

(Today, 04:27 PM) with Shout its over $500

whitespider :

(Today, 04:28 PM) u pay it I will add it back on all pages LOL

whitespider :

(Today, 04:28 PM) if you want every page and all members back its over $700

whitespider :

(Today, 04:32 PM) remember it was supposed to be a Shout Box not a chat box - not that you orrible lot ever take any notice of that

nickrock :

(Today, 04:34 PM) ok i will ban my self from the shout box

nickrock :

(Today, 04:37 PM) didnt think chat was that resource hungery back in the old irc days a very slow broard band connection could handle the chat side easty a good 56k dialup could almost do it

Benny10 :

(Today, 04:53 PM) agree with nick, will let the SB go

Benny10 :

(Today, 04:54 PM) just wonder why other blogs still can maintain it? Nick/blue i'll pm you my skype adress

From my point of view the SB was doing well before the new software was implemented. I’m not a computer pro, so I don’t know why the SB did not require such an extreme amount of resources before the upgrade (maintenance).

I also wonder why higher server costs have to be mentioned there.

Before starting an upgrade (maintenance) project ALL costs involved should be considered beforehand.

Finding out about some bugs at a later stage, and cutting out some features to match the budget, will finally result in a downgrade.

Also I think it’s not very helpful to state open “if you want every page and all members back its over $700 “.

I do understand that this forum is not run on a charity basis, it’s a business and should be profitable for the owner(s).

One of the duties of business owners is to calculate the risks, costs and profit. If he finds out at a later stage that he can’t maintain his services as usual, it’s quite convenient to ask for some money (BTW sounds very Thai to me).

Shouldn’t these cost been considered earlier, before the upgrade (maintenance) and before addressing this open?

As English is not my mother tongue let me explain this with an example:

Since the last 3 years I book the same hotel. Satellite TV, free wifi-internet and daily American breakfast at THB 1,200.- per night.

After 3 years the owner announces that he’ll renovate the rooms. So they paints the rooms, adds new carpets and replaces the tiles in the bathroom.

When I try to reserve the room next time he quotes it THB 1,200.- per night, but this time satellite TV is excluded.

While asking, I receive the answer: ”We upgraded the room our costs, so if you whish satellite TV you can have it at THB 100.- per night.” How would feel?

My answer: “This is not an upgrade, this is maintenance to keep your hotel in business and I’m not prepared to accept less services or to be charged for services which were included before”.

Also I’m getting confused about the real name and use of this feature because its called “shoutbox” on the menu and then on the actual page it’s called “PA chat”.

Edited by Benny10

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

Hi Mate

I will let Laamok explain the techie stuff to you as I dont fully grasp it myself.

I mentioned server costs to try and get a point across mainly. When Addicts started the server was $10 a month. As the site grows and grows so the requirements get higher and higher. There are two main issues

1. Sheer db size - this forever gets bigger and never shrinks

2. Queries at any one time. There are 80,000 page views a day and if we have hundreds querying the db at any one time then you need a BIG bit of kit to cope with that.

Its a combo of both factors not either one.

The upgrade has nothing to do with it. Shout was draining us dry long before the upgrade. The upgrade is NOT a choice, and god knows we have explained this many times already. ALL Invision boards have to upgrade to the new software!! The old V2 has had all support removed. This means that anyone running V2 (they can if they wish) has no security back-up and V2 is now very easy to hack. If you would be happy with an insecure db we could go back but it wouldnt affect the Shout Box anyway.

Easiest thing would be to remove it, and we have discussed this many times, but we always feel we want to tary and keep it as best we can. In a perfect world it would just be there and open to everyone but it slows the site down soooooo much these days its hard as we get moaned about the site slowing when that happens.

Hope that helps explain it - bottom line is we would put it back in FULL if we could but its getting to be very difficult if not impossible to do so.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!