IGNORED

Recommend a pre-paid Thai mobile provider?

EarlyStarter

Hi,

I'll be in LOS for 12 weeks although a couple of those weeks will be spent in HK, Phil, Viet, Cam and Loas.

I never use Internet on my phone so not so concerned about data.

I just want to be able to make lots of calls and texts within the region only, I'll use skype on my PC for calling home.

If you know a bit about the local providers and there offerings, could you make a recommendation for me please?

Thanks

PS. my phone is unlocked and takes a micro-SIM

I use "1 2 call". Never had an issue

"If ya can f*#k it, float it or fly it.........rent it!"

They are all pretty much of a muchness...........however

Remember, that like most Western providers each provider has many different "packages" i.e. some offer cheaper sms with higher call charges, some vice versa etc etc. Some allow overseas calls and some dont. Pretty much all the same package options you can purchase in any country.

Consequently buy from an approved outlet as the girls in 7/11 etc dont know the difference. At the approved outlets they can advise you on which package is best for you or at very least show you the options.

Just to add to the fire - you say you dont use data but send a lot of SMS. It may be worth considering using data so you get free sms using Whatsapp, Line etc. I think most unlimited data packages are approx 599 a month or cheaper with limitations.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

What prefix do fellow aussies use when calling home ? I had been using +61 but a mate said if you want cheaper calls do 0099xxxxxxxxx ?

Not a big user, just a tourist with talk and text and a little data (as there's wifi everywhere now) but my dtac happy sim does me fine and I can top up on line from home to avoid it expiring on me.

Hi,

I'll be in LOS for 12 weeks although a couple of those weeks will be spent in HK, Phil, Viet, Cam and Loas.

I never use Internet on my phone so not so concerned about data.

I just want to be able to make lots of calls and texts within the region only, I'll use skype on my PC for calling home.

If you know a bit about the local providers and there offerings, could you make a recommendation for me please?

Thanks

PS. my phone is unlocked and takes a micro-SIM

http://www.thaizer.com/basics/how-to-make-an-international-call-from-thailand-using-a-thai-sim-card/

They are all pretty much of a muchness...........however

Remember, that like most Western providers each provider has many different "packages" i.e. some offer cheaper sms with higher call charges, some vice versa etc etc. Some allow overseas calls and some dont. Pretty much all the same package options you can purchase in any country.

Consequently buy from an approved outlet as the girls in 7/11 etc dont know the difference. At the approved outlets they can advise you on which package is best for you or at very least show you the options.

Just to add to the fire - you say you dont use data but send a lot of SMS. It may be worth considering using data so you get free sms using Whatsapp, Line etc. I think most unlimited data packages are approx 599 a month or cheaper with limitations.

Very helpful, thanks 

To me the DTAC website is MUCH friendlier in English than the AIS 1-2call one is.    And did you know you can

buy extra MONTHS of validity for 2 baht a month up to 12 months ahead using funds in your prepaid account.

thus you can keep the number and not lose any money left on it.  I have both.  dtac on cheap samsung phone

(under 600bt at big c)  and  ais on pocket wifi for internet use.   I struggle on the ais website because it keeps

flipping back to thai from english.  I really don't call much and incoming calls are not charged. 

There is an AIS counter right outside the customs exit at BKK. Mini SIMs use to be rare but maybe that has changed these days? When I need something from AIS I just call their customer service number.

AIS charges 30 baht to extend for 30 days so if DTAC is only 2 that is an advantage.

AIS  one two call has been okay with me for the past 8 years....and their

call center reps speak very good English.....and they opened up a big new

service center in Central Festival on ground floor across from the McDonalds

on the Beach Road end of the mall. Good service and the customer reps speak

good English.

You can't go wrong with either DTAC or AIS. Both have counters at the airport. If AIS are charging 30 Baht to extend validity for one month and this would be useful then go with DTAC as it is only 2 Baht per 30 days.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

To me the DTAC website is MUCH friendlier in English than the AIS 1-2call one is.    And did you know you can

buy extra MONTHS of validity for 2 baht a month up to 12 months ahead using funds in your prepaid account.

thus you can keep the number and not lose any money left on it.  I have both.  dtac on cheap samsung phone

(under 600bt at big c)  and  ais on pocket wifi for internet use.   I struggle on the ais website because it keeps

flipping back to thai from english.  I really don't call much and incoming calls are not charged.

[/quote

How can i buy extra month from belgium i have prepaid card happy ?

How can i buy extra months from belgium have prepaid happy sim

Thanks

Google "dtac happy refill". The dtac site will come up with refill options, one of which is a link to Happy's online refill facility. You register your number and do it using a CC. I think there might be a PayPal option. It's dead easy.

I use DTAC on my Blackberry and it works well for me. I really just thing you have to

pick one that has a package that suits you. I have used AIS before as well, all good.

Im happy with happy.

Archived