IGNORED

Indian Tourist badly injured in road accident on Pattaya Beach Road

Pattaya One

An Indian Tourist thought to be in his mid-thirties sustained a broken right leg and other cuts and bruises after he was struck by a motorbike taxi on Pattaya Beach Road in the early hours of...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]vz6Ydw5ZY-k

View the full article

There are a few nationalities around Pattaya that have no road sense. Often they walk on the side of the road instead of the footpath, make mad dashes across the road, cross the roads at the wrong time and simply don't look when crossing roads. I think it has something to do with their arrogance as well as there lack of education.

There are a few nationalities around Pattaya that have no road sense. Often they walk on the side of the road instead of the footpath, make mad dashes across the road, cross the roads at the wrong time and simply don't look when crossing roads. I think it has something to do with their arrogance as well as there lack of education.

The drivers and the bikers are at their fault too, they drive at crazy speed outside the city speed limit... 

Agreed - do pedestrians have right of way where they come from?

Oh but........."The driver claimed he was travelling normally along Beach Road and saw the Indian Tourist crossing the road. Due to his intoxicated state the Indian stumbled backwards onto the road and into the path of the motorbike whose driver was unable to avoid hitting the foreigner."

I agree, many pedestrians don`t look where they are going and some are drunk.  BUT there are motor bikes on the pavement, going wrong way on one way streets, speeding and driving under the influence of drink and drugs.  I myself was hit from behind by a motor bike on a pavement in Bangkok a few years ago, the bike was ten meters from the road and going very fast between and through pedestrians, this also was a taxi and they didn`t stop. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I agree, many pedestrians don`t look where they are going and some are drunk.  BUT there are motor bikes on the pavement, going wrong way on one way streets, speeding .................................

Trying to get back to the 'rank' after a fare as quickly as possible, maybe, but with a female passenger on board I doubt it.

In one day I almost hit an Indian, a Russian and a Soi dog. All three walked out in front of me at different times. I thought the Soi dog would have known better. The Indian through his hands in the air like it was a stick up and froze. I abused him and went round him frozen with fright on the road. All three times I locked wheels up braking that hard. It was a stressful day.

I don't think it's nationality specific because I've had some very close calls almost running over tourists from almost every nationality here....it stems from the fact that most of them come from places where motorbikes are not nearly as common, especially travelling down the sides of the lane or in between lanes, so most of them are instinctualy heeding the cars, but completely forget to look for oncoming bikes.

That being said, I do not feel bad at all when they get hit due to their own lack of awareness or stupidity.... I have clipped several Indians off 2nd Rd near Soi 16 with the mirrors on my bike because they purposely walk down the road instead of the readily available sidewalk, and sometimes walk 2-3 abreast instead of single file which would minimize their risk and also provide space for the motorbikes....if it's obvious they are too stupid or arrogant to get out of traffics way, then I will not jeopardize my own safety making maneuvers to avoid hitting them.

""I will not jeopardize my own safety making maneuvers to avoid hitting them. ""

I do understand what you mean, but this just struck me as funny...

my two cents, after 4 trips I am still disoriented as a pedestrian about which side to walk on to face oncoming traffic...  I am constantly finding myself with my back to traffic out of the "walk on the left side" habit I have.

the drive on the freaking wrong side of the road in Thailand!!!  

:GoldenSmile1: 

In one day I almost hit an Indian, a Russian and a Soi dog. All three walked out in front of me at different times. I thought the Soi dog would have known better. The Indian through his hands in the air like it was a stick up and froze. I abused him and went round him frozen with fright on the road. All three times I locked wheels up braking that hard. It was a stressful day.

Sometimes too, soi dogs cause fatal accidents: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/42857/belgian-killed-in-east-pattaya-road-crash/

I don't think it's nationality specific because I've had some very close calls almost running over tourists from almost every nationality here....it stems from the fact that most of them come from places where motorbikes are not nearly as common, especially travelling down the sides of the lane or in between lanes, so most of them are instinctualy heeding the cars, but completely forget to look for oncoming bikes.

That being said, I do not feel bad at all when they get hit due to their own lack of awareness or stupidity.... I have clipped several Indians off 2nd Rd near Soi 16 with the mirrors on my bike because they purposely walk down the road instead of the readily available sidewalk, and sometimes walk 2-3 abreast instead of single file which would minimize their risk and also provide space for the motorbikes....if it's obvious they are too stupid or arrogant to get out of traffics way, then I will not jeopardize my own safety making maneuvers to avoid hitting them.

Also, most countries over the world have right-hand traffic and tourists from those countries will often look the wrong side, better always drive/ride very carefully: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.jpg

I don't think it's nationality specific ............................

Although there is only one nationality I see crossing like this.  :GoldenSmile1:

ducklings1.jpg

OK maybe a couple more.

He must've been really drunk. Indians know how to cross roads, similar traffic conditions as well.

""I will not jeopardize my own safety making maneuvers to avoid hitting them. ""

I do understand what you mean, but this just struck me as funny...

swerving to avoid some idiot in the road will probably cause me to have a worse accident (like hitting a car) than just hitting that person.... same reason you dont swerve to avoid animals in the road.... its natural instinct to swerve, but it usually just makes the situation worse.

if i can easily or safely avoid hitting someone, of course i will try... but i try to remember that hitting a relatively soft person is a lot more preferable than hitting a car or other solid object.

swerving to avoid some idiot in the road will probably cause me to have a worse accident (like hitting a car) than just hitting that person.... same reason you dont swerve to avoid animals in the road.... its natural instinct to swerve, but it usually just makes the situation worse.

if i can easily or safely avoid hitting someone, of course i will try... but i try to remember that hitting a relatively soft person is a lot more preferable than hitting a car or other solid object.

ya, like I said, I do understand, but it sounded funny!  I am terrified of the Scooters, my last trip, my 4th, was the first time I used motobike taxis, it is incredibly convenient...  but I think they are awfully dangerous nevertheless...

so is walking on many of the streets where the sidewalks disappear for various reasons and are like obstacle courses with speed bumps...   555!

from what I read, this particular gent fell back off the curb so he wasn't the stereotypical Indian dude wandering side by side with his buddies holding hands in the street...

hope he recovers quickly!  

Love the way Indiams walk (3 or 4 in a line) down Soi Buakhao with their backs to the traffic, anazing more of them are not injured/killed.

Archived