IGNORED

Why Wai Free Zones!

scotchbroth100

Despite the fact that I've been coming and going in Patts for a number of years now, the whole issue of the wai still puzzles me. Is there a time when we should or should not wai back? We walk into an establishment - be it bar or restaurant etc. we get wai'ed at and then us falangs make a - well lets be honest here - a pretty shit wai in return!, should we really bother? Is it expected?

I never do in Pattaya. I just give a nod to acknowledge it and move on. I have read many times that the Thais do not expect us to return them and that we often it is wrong if we do. Rather than look an idiot I don't bother. The only time I have is to my GFs parents and only because she told me that I should.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

i have also wondered weather to do it or not.sometimes i do sometimes i dont if i dont just normally give them the nod.

I'm the same. Generally i just avoid doing it as i don't think they expect us to wai back and i know i'll do it completly wrong and embarass us both.

The only time i wai back is when i really want them to know i'm trying to make an effort.

Edited by hazze

The only time I will Wai, is when I am going to temple, or meeting a monk. Was told on my first trip that this was the proper thing for us to do. Other than that just smile and a polite nod of the head will do just fine.

works for me

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Never Wai a bar girl :Hair_Out1:

There are only 3 types of people I Wai in Thailand

The wifes parents/anyone in the family older than myself

Monks

Police if I am in shit

Despite the fact that I've been coming and going in Patts for a number of years now, the whole issue of the wai still puzzles me. Is there a time when we should or should not wai back? We walk into an establishment - be it bar or restaurant etc. we get wai'ed at and then us falangs make a - well lets be honest here - a pretty shit wai in return!, should we really bother? Is it expected?

Oh God I have to get out more. I'm reading that over and over and I kept seeing "Wii" and I'm thinking, "What? Don't they like Nintendo there!?"

Panudate is right

The wai is a sign of respect to those socially, morally or otherwise of superior station to your own

A Thai man will never wai a woman

A Thai man will wai his boss, his customers, his parents and wife's parents, monks and the police. That's about it

Panudate is right

The wai is a sign of respect to those socially, morally or otherwise of superior station to your own

A Thai man will never wai a woman

A Thai man will wai his boss, his customers, his parents and wife's parents, monks and the police. That's about it

I was told that there are different ways to wai and the best thing to do for us farang is smile and nod

if a girl did it to me like in a resturant or shop i would do it but i aint gonna bother anymore.

I was told that there are different ways to wai and the best thing to do for us farang is smile and nod

The best advice comes here, i have seen so many farrangs making cunts of themselves try or wai-ing bar girls !!

I never do it.... i look enough of a cunt as it is!

A smile and a nod does the trick just fine.

If I was asked to do it ie. by my gf I would

• 3 weeks later...
Is it a bad idea to respond to a Wai with a Wink and a gun?

:Whistle:

There are only 3 types of people I Wai in Thailand

The wifes parents/anyone in the family older than myself

Monks

Police if I am in shit

Wise words from Panudate, i am the same, except i'd add onto that list immigration officials. Showing how humble and subservient you are when faced with Thai officialdom never does any harm, my policy has always been to wai high, and thus far it has generally seen me alright......most of the time.

There are some other individuals i also wai, but these are friends or former work colleagues of mine that are older than me, and who have earned my respect. These people, i believe, deserve it, but i am not going to wai some wanker just because of his/her perceived higher status. I'd add onto that certain monks. Certainly 'career' monks, genuine spiritual people, i would wai, but not some wanker that one week ago was just another somchai in the street, but this week decided to put on some saffron robes and play being holy.

Edited by Arambol

Hammers fix everything.

Sorry dudes, you're lost me here...but what is a 'wai'???