IGNORED

marc marquez

butler

We always hope everyone races and gets to come home but the sport is dangerous by it's very nature. Simoncelli's accident wasn't even down to spirited riding though he was certainly capable of it.

I've actually been wondering lately whether the intrinsic danger of bike racing is what has slowly made me switch from cars. I don't want to see any one get hurt but then certain sports are simply not worth watching/doing if they are made 100% safe.

I know what you mean, F1 has virtually eliminated risk to drivers and it's never been more boring.

Bike track racing has also tried very hard and generally been successful as far as deaths are concerned, though we still have crashes to keep our attention.

On the other hand, road racing, especially the Isle of Man TT, cannot eliminate fatalities, but if that was an attraction, one might wonder why it isn't a more popular TV spectacle - probably because it's more difficult to follow?

At the risk of just seeming argumentative and speaking only from memory (lots of clips showing Sic appearing from the left out of control and running across Colin Edwards' path but I can't find the whole lead up) my recollection is that it was partly due to the "spirited riding" of Bautista.

Sic had been heavily criticised in previous races by Lor, but in the Sepang race, despite a good start from 5th on the grid, he was riding quite conservatively, for him.

Bau was not, however and by harrying Sic pushed him into the battle which led to Sic losing control.

Maybe my memory isn't that good or people saw it differently, but the preceding 1+ laps weren't shown much after the live broadcast.

I can't see what could be done to eliminate a fatality like that - however much they improve leathers, boots and helmet, your neck is still out there.

Archived