IGNORED

Hiring a Moped With Insurance in Pattaya

timwuk

I've never hired a bike in Thailand and I think I will on my next trip, but I do have a question.

Is it possible to hire a bike "fully comprehensive" ? Everything I have found online is 3rd party only. I want cover for theft and accidental damage.

Anyone people would recommend?

Cheers,

Tim

I would recommend not riding one, you have never ridden one in Thailand, you gotta be crazy, you need fully comp holiday insurance because you wont get covered for ruining your holiday

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

ive never been offered "fully comp" from a hirer but I have heard its available...anyone on this board tried claiming?

as a foot note check your holiday insurance covers you in the event of an accident,mine covers only up to 125cc

Never seen hire places that offer full coverage on motorbikes.

Just checked and my yearly travel insurance covers me for a 125cc, so thanks for the heads up on that one Nodster. :ThumbUp6:

I have ridden bikes in India and Vietnam, Thailand is no different. You don't ride your bike, you avoid the other idiots on the road.

I just want to hire a bike for one day and run around finding places that we will visit for the rest of my trip.

Is it possible to to hire someone for the day with a car for a flat fee?

That would work as well. But obviously the more money spent on fact finding, the less gets spent on pussy!

Some travel insurance companies don"'t just limit the bike size, they insist you have a valid motor bike licence

Dont forget your International driving licence if you get stopped, the Pattaya Police are quite hot on it now.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Just checked and my yearly travel insurance covers me for a 125cc, so thanks for the heads up on that one Nodster. :ThumbUp6:

I have ridden bikes in India and Vietnam, Thailand is no different. You don't ride your bike, you avoid the other idiots on the road.

I just want to hire a bike for one day and run around finding places that we will visit for the rest of my trip.

Is it possible to to hire someone for the day with a car for a flat fee?

That would work as well. But obviously the more money spent on fact finding, the less gets spent on pussy!

My travel insurance only covers me for only medical injuries when riding a mo-ped or scooter, not the actual bike itself.

Just make sure you read that section carefully because it bite you on the butt later on. 

Fully comp is available on bikes you BUY (approx 2000 Baht per annum) so it can probably be done on rentals although the premiums would be a lot higher or maybe not possible. I had a PCX stolen and got back 80% on the insurance, that was fair as it was a one year old.

We have two bike hirers on the forum ( will try find their board names). They are both reputable and they would be able to answer the question.

As a point to note - as per all insurance, including your med cover, insurance is invalidated if you do not possess the correct license. You need either a Thai license or the International permit. The Int permit must state clearly that you are licensed to ride motorbikes in your own country.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

!

Excellent, except that most bikes in Thailand are 150cc I think! Not 100% on that one though.

My travel insurance only covers me for only medical injuries when riding a mo-ped or scooter, not the actual bike itself.

Just make sure you read that section carefully because it bite you on the butt later on.

Correct, if indeed you are covered it will only be for personal injury. Not for damage to a bike or to anyone else or their bike.

Some travel insurance companies don"'t just limit the bike size, they insist you have a valid motor bike licence

Correct. You will only be covered if you hold a valid licence for that type of bike in your home country. Probably. Contact your insurance company and ask them every question you can think of. They have a way of wriggling out of most things. DD you know you are probably not covered if you injure yourself playing football!

I think Daveo who has already posted in this thread hires out bikes from Canterbury Tales.

The other prominent hirer i know of on the forum is Kessaya.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

http://www.pattaya-express.com/rent-car-with-driver.aspx

Problem solved. 1 full day for 3,000 THB , or 4 hours 1,800 THB

Mr. T will supply a car and driver around 300 Baht an hour and less for more hours especially if there is a lot of sitting around involved, like Sanctuary of Truth or Nong Nooch.

3000 Baht 8-10 hours is as much.

Just drop in and ask him.

Excellent, except that most bikes in Thailand are 150cc I think! Not 100% on that one though.

Most small scoots are 125cc or less, the notable exceptions are the Nouvo Elegance at 135cc and the latest Honda PCX at 150cc.

I've never hired a bike in Thailand and I think I will on my next trip, but I do have a question.

Is it possible to hire a bike "fully comprehensive" ? Everything I have found online is 3rd party only. I want cover for theft and accidental damage.

Anyone people would recommend?

Cheers,

Tim

The compulsory insurance (por ra bor) which all bikes must have to be road legal only gives you limited cover for injuries or death to third parties. It does not cover you for damage to other vehicles or property. Have a word with Kevin at DK Rentals and see what he can do for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for all the great advise - Are these the correct details for Mr T?

Mr T.
Tel: 038 720318
Mobile: 0812587716 (0813513612)
Email: [email protected]

Yes, IDP essential in Pattaya at the moment it is the only thing they seem to checking. 2 stops from BiB in just under two weeks riding around everwhere thats all they wanted to see.

Archived