IGNORED

Memory cards

spider0064

OK I only use a point and shoot for my pic's when i'm out and about, the question I have to the experts out there is does it make any difference to the quality of pictures depending on the SD card in my camera, SanDisk, Lexar & Transcend are ones I have used.

Might be daft but I like to keep the cards when full and don't copy or reuse.

Any advise or are they all as good as each other

Their biggest difference is speed. The higher the class, the faster they are.

If you've ever noticed a camera taking a while to save a pictures, it's most likely because it's got a cheap and slow memory card in it.

up to you

The quality of the memory card makes no difference to the quality of the images it stores. You are only paying more for speed and reliability.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Most cards are good enough and fast enough unless you are into sports and shooting many frames per second then you will be using a camera with a large buffer so again speed should not be an issue.

What is the reason that you dont reuse the cards? If you don't want to store the pics on your hard drive you can store them at the cloud.There are a lot of good solutions for this ie, Flickr, Dropbox, Picturelife.

i always reuse cards, 

Seems u can not get the faster cards in Thailand so i get mine in the states, I use Sandisk extreme  I carry 4 an 8 gig cards

shoot, transfer to computer, back up to 2 external hard drives

Best ones i burn a cd

reformat card an reuse

Cloud storage is fine for small amounts of space but then they start to charge an once u start keeping all ur photos up there and they want to start charging more and more ur stuck

Hence why i have my photos in 3 places

Same reason why i will never upgrade from photoshop cs6 to cloud.

Advice - store the pics on a CD unless you have unlimited funds.

Even CD's degrade after many years - hard drive s also fail 100% of the time.

BUT someday your SD card won't be used either.

Maybe you'll be gone by then so it won';t matter.

Whatever - seems like picture quality has nothing to do with brand or cost.

I have used just about every brand SD card made.

My only failures have been with one of the best - Sandisk. go figure.

Shoot on .........................

Thanks guys, I think I need to look to transfer & store from my SD cards and reuse seems to make sense.

Thanks guys, I think I need to look to transfer & store from my SD cards and reuse seems to make sense.

Yes, SD cards are not that secure. They suffer from more potential to break (physical damage) than CF cards...not to mention losing them. I get my images off of cards at days end--no exceptions. I back them up to mirrored RAID storage, but you don't have to get that serious. Look into a small SSD drive--no moving parts, very fast, less easy to lose. 

Pay attention to class.

Although class 2 is rated as sufficient for still pictures, with 14mp cameras the write time may be annoying if you take pictures in sequence.

Class 10 generally does not cost appreciably more, worth considering even for a camera.

In the US you can find a 16GB class 10 for around $7.

just ordered a class 10 scan disk Extreme 16 gig on amazon ( I'll pick it up in the states end of month) for $13

The $5.95 for postage takes it to $12.99.... :GoldenSmile1:

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

The $5.95 for postage takes it to $12.99.... :GoldenSmile1:

What may the shipping on an $13 item be?

About the same I venture to guess.

It is possible to get free shipping on the higher priced items in Amazon if you purchase $35 or more.

So buy 3 each items at $13 and you can get free shipping, but not avoid sales tax in states that collects it.

Also the Amazon warehouse products are subject to sales tax in most states (4-15%)

No sales tax to ca.

Keep dreaming

If it ships from an Amazon fulfillment center there will be tax and to qualify for free shipping it has to ship from their fulfillment centers

Amazon has nexus in California and the California Franchise Tax Board is tougher than any other state.

Heck CA Tx FB has offices in tens of other states to audit out of state businesses.

If a company accepts any payment from a California bank it has nexus.

I have operated businesses in two other states (the other coast) and we were audited by California Franchise Tax Board every year.

We did not have to accept the audit, but without it we could not ship to California and could not have an employee there.

About 5 years ago I was talking to an Amazon marketing guy at a convension in San Diego to have our product on their site.

I asked him for his business card and he said he could not give it to me while he was in California as that would create a nexus.

That was then and Amazon lost the battle about a year ago.

Free ride is over -- Amazon.com collecting California sales tax

September 15, 2012

SACRAMENTO -- Saturday is tax day for Internet shoppers in California.

Amazon.com, the world's biggest Internet retailer, began collecting sales taxes on purchases made by Golden State shoppers beginning at 12:01 a.m.

The tax ranges from 7.25% to 9.75%, depending on where a buyer is located.

• 6 months later...

I wonder if it is only the class which matters. e.g. cards SanDisk Ultra 64 GB SDXC and SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC both are class 10 but the other one is about 3 times more expensive, what is the difference? Why should buy the more expensive? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I wonder if it is only the class which matters. e.g. cards SanDisk Ultra 64 GB SDXC and SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC both are class 10 but the other one is about 3 times more expensive, what is the difference? Why should buy the more expensive? Thanks in advance for your advice.

It's the maximum speed that is the difference. It is 30MB/s verses 280MB/s. Unless you want to take fast consecutive photos I would go for the cheaper option.

The higher speed is is only important for HD movies or as Scumbag says (very) fast consecutive photos .

I can do HD movies with my Eos 5DII and it works fine with 30mb/s .

The higher speed doesn't bring you better quality . IMO waist of money .

i wont use a mem card more than 8  GB,  i shoot raw and basic ( med)  and thats 210 shots and than swap them out

would hate to have a 64 gb card and it fails  ;-(

Thanks Scumbag, I have tested my new Sony RX100 M2 and if I shoot with multiple pictures mode it takes quite a long time to write to memory card. 

However to shoot moving object with multiple picture mode I have got quite nice pictures. Maybe I'll try the faster card as well even though it is quite expensive.

Maybe test with 16 GB version. 

Thanks Scumbag, I have tested my new Sony RX100 M2 and if I shoot with multiple pictures mode it takes quite a long time to write to memory card. 

However to shoot moving object with multiple picture mode I have got quite nice pictures. Maybe I'll try the faster card as well even though it is quite expensive.

Maybe test with 16 GB version. 

The camera puts the pics in its buffer and it takes time to process them in the camera .

A faster card will not make any difference .

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51265772

Ok thanks Jerry for your advice, so I understand that I do not need to spend more money and buy faster memory cards.

By the way my camera is taking quite good video as well and I have not noticed any problems with this 30mb/s card.

However I have made only 1-2 minute scenes so could it be a problem with longer scenes?

Ok thanks Jerry for your advice, so I understand that I do not need to spend more money and buy faster memory cards.

By the way my camera is taking quite good video as well and I have not noticed any problems with this 30mb/s card.

However I have made only 1-2 minute scenes so could it be a problem with longer scenes?

No problems , 30mb/s is fast enough for your camera . 

Archived