IGNORED

Thai Buddha Day, 21 February 2008. Your LT lady will celebrate this day.

Buff52

I understand the 21st February 2008 is of special significance for Thai people.

Bar girls, Go Go dancers, Masseuses, or Freelancers, 95% of Thais are Buddhist and will celebrate this Thursday.

Many will be heading down to the temple early in the morning to make an offering of food and to pay their respects receiving in return good luck and blessings.

Not all working girls thrive in this industry, and sustain themselves through tough times through Buddha.

Does anyone know the specific significance of the 21st February?

I'm not sure, but it could be Buddha's birthday.

Have any BM's with a LT lady, found themselves being ferried down to the temple in South Pattaya for blessings and a good luck string, which is tied to your wrist?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Buff52

Does anyone know the specific significance of the 21st February?

The date itself is of no particular significance as the holiday - Magha Puja/Makha Bucha - is celebrated on the full moon of the third lunar month,and so the date changes from year to year.

The following is taken from wiki:

Magha Puja is an important religious festival celebrated by Thai Buddhists on the full moon day of the third lunar month (this usually falls in February)

It is a public holiday in Thailand - and is an occasion when Buddhists tend to go to the temple to perform merit-making activities.

Origin of Magha Puja Day

Magha Puja day marks the four auspicious occasions, which happened nine months after the Enlightenment of the Lord Buddha at Veluvana Bamboo Grove, near Rajagaha in Northern India. On that occasion, four miraculous events coincided;

1. 1,250 enlightened disciples of the Buddha spontaneously gathered

2. every one of those enlightened disciples had been given monastic ordination personally by the Lord Buddha

3. those disciples knew to meet together without any previous appointment

4. it was the full-moon day.

The Lord Buddha gave an important teaching to the assembled monks on that day 2,500 years ago called the 'Ovadapatimokkha' which laid down the principles by which the monks should spread the Buddhist teachings. In Thailand, this teaching has been dubbed the 'Heart of Buddhism'.

Celebration of Magha Puja Day

In the evening, each temple in Thailand holds a candle procession whereby the monks and congregation members circumambulate the main chapel or pagoda in the temple in homage to the Lord Buddha.

The date itself is of no particular significance as the holiday - Magha Puja/Makha Bucha - is celebrated on the full moon of the third lunar month,and so the date changes from year to year.

It will be good for many, as it's a day when they can remove themselves from their worries and focus on their life.

I think many of the tourists will be inconvenienced, although some of those could use a break from booze anyway.

I've heard that Beer Bars and Retail outlets won't be allowed to serve or sell alcohol.

Edited by Buff52

I know the Bret Bar will either be closed all day or opening late, May is having all of the ladies over to her house for food and who knows what else, and of course, starting with a trip to the Wat. Yes, I have been invited, and you bet I will be attending. I have been her and the ladies on several of these type things and have always really enjoyed it, get to see the real people, not the BGs.

Rick