Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

CAMERA BUFFS

Slapman

so, i've decided to go all out and buy a top range camera.

i've narrowed down the field to the 4 linked below.

all i want is live view and pop up flash and no need think i'm flying a jet plane.

i just want to do upper body portraits mainly.

anyone care to recommend one of the below or even suggest another, i'm prepared to pay up to $AU 2,000/60,000 baht.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_e3.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d40x.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Cano...asp?dontcount=1

Edited by slapman

Can't see what Canon model you are considering (link not working), but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I just bought an EOS 40D about 3 days ago. I have not yet been through the entire book and figured out everything there is to know about it, but so far I am impressed with how easy it is to use (though it is the first digital SLR that I have owned, so what do I know?).

I paid around $2000USD for the camera with 28-135mm zoom lens kit, Canon 580exII flash, memory card, extra batteries, and a descent tripod. This camera has loads of fully automatic shooting modes, as well as manual everything, built-in flash and live-view. But - does not seem to auto-focus in live view, I think that is a limitation of this camera (can't focus when the mirror is locked). Not a problem for me, but maybe not good for you, not sure if the other cameras in your list are the same.

One thing I can recommend, though - a good hot-shoe flash works wonders over the built-in. The puny built-in flash makes everything look like a "regular snapshot". With the external flash, you can bounce the light off the ceiling for indoors, or use a diffuser, and the extra outdoor range and power is amazing. I was very impressed with the 580 flash I got, it calculates exposure automatically with the camera, even using bounce-flash, and can be easily adjusted as well.

Maybe more info than you wanted, but there is what I know about the camera I got, don't know about the others.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

thanks for the info, i'll check it out.

i hope i can take pics like this.

check the legs out on the first one !.

the skintones on #2 and streetcool on #3

247299-27.jpg

247299-28.jpg

247299-29.jpg

Edited by slapman

I did some research a while back. I picked up the Evolt 330. This is the Evolt 410. Sorta took the place of the 330. This camera is by far the best bang for your buck. This website has just about the best deals as well. It has two sets of lenses that comes with this package. Live screen for taking photos. I have a really good friend of mine that does underwater Cave exploration and photo spreads for magazines. He recommended this one to me. You cant order with these people over the weekend though. Have to wait to a weekday. Hope this helps

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4882...tal_Camera.html

I have got myself a E-510. One real advantage of this one is the in-camera Image Stabilisation so you always have IS no matter what lens you are using. Have also got myself the 12-60 and 70-300 len's which give me an effective focal length of 24mm - 600mm. As a relative newbie to DSLR's I can thoroughly reccomend it, easy to use/learn and with a bit of patience you can get some amazing results. It is also pretty small and easy to carry, I did a 15 mile hike last week carrying the camera and spare lens and tripod/batteryies etc and it was easy...some of the cameras you mentioned are bigger and heavier.

The only bad thing about this camera is the 2.5" lcd is not all that, the newer cameras are coming out with a bigger lcd with more pixels on it.

One thing to remember. Whichever camera you buy you will be buying into their system which means their lenses and batteries. So in 3 or 4 years time when you want to upgrade again it would be wise to buy the same make so you can use your lenses....and quality lenses don't come cheap.

If your not already well versed in the art of DSLR's then it is well worth taking the time to read the manual/web and practice a lot as it will make a difference to your pictures and style.

Happy shooting !

Som Num Na

I have got myself a E-510. One real advantage of this one is the in-camera Image Stabilisation so you always have IS no matter what lens you are using. Have also got myself the 12-60 and 70-300 len's which give me an effective focal length of 24mm - 600mm. As a relative newbie to DSLR's I can thoroughly reccomend it, easy to use/learn and with a bit of patience you can get some amazing results. It is also pretty small and easy to carry, I did a 15 mile hike last week carrying the camera and spare lens and tripod/batteryies etc and it was easy...some of the cameras you mentioned are bigger and heavier.

The only bad thing about this camera is the 2.5" lcd is not all that, the newer cameras are coming out with a bigger lcd with more pixels on it.

One thing to remember. Whichever camera you buy you will be buying into their system which means their lenses and batteries. So in 3 or 4 years time when you want to upgrade again it would be wise to buy the same make so you can use your lenses....and quality lenses don't come cheap.

If your not already well versed in the art of DSLR's then it is well worth taking the time to read the manual/web and practice a lot as it will make a difference to your pictures and style.

Happy shooting !

great advice, thanks muchly.

the mission is to really show up some of the beauty available there. at the risk of sounding like a wanker i think i do ok in the glamour portraiture department. i want to go a bit sharper.

DAVE tell me more !.

the mission is to really show up some of the beauty available there. at the risk of sounding like a wanker i think i do ok in the glamour portraiture department. i want to go a bit sharper.

DAVE tell me more !.

You don't sound like a wanker at all mate. We know what you are capable of with photos. You post some of the best pics here. The better camera you get the better for us. I know fuck all about cameras so there is no point me giving you advice on them.

Testicles

Slap mate I want to thank for the advice on my Fuji F31, got some great shots, but will try better next trip to reach your standard, which as Shuggy has inferred is the best on the boards.... :Bravo1:

Cheers,

DIRTY

Click Here To Help Pattaya Orphans

jizzflicker "I just wanna fill a wheel barrow up with jizz and tip it all over her head, while her sister spanks her with a dildo"

Bryan "What Colours your Dog"

LaaMok "I was bored once and had time to waste. i decided to try and unload without touching myself or rubbing, i think about 4 hours later, the yogurt truck crashed."

Any of them are good, howver I love the Nikon products, especially the D200 with 70-200 lens. However I bought a Canon G9 which takes great pictures and is much easier to travel with. I will be posting the pictures I took with it in my trip report.

Being an E-300 owner I don't think you can go to far wrong with an Olympus - they certainly are small and light making excellent walkabout cameras. Forget dpreview.com if you want an unbiased review as the site owner obviously prefers one make over the rest. For Oly stuff I prefer this guy -

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

He's a professional photographer and knows what he's talking about. I would agree about buying a flashgun as well - the softer lighting effect is well worth it. I could never have achieved the following with a pop-up flash:

247779-22.jpg

Be scene and not herd.

• 2 weeks later...

DAVE tell me more !.

just wanna put in my two peneth worth. I do a lot of glamour and fashion work and if you want to improve the sharpness of your pics then I suggest spending the bulk of your dosh on the lens. I still use an older canon 20d but on the front of that I use a professional canon 24-70 f2.8L lens. The difference between this and the kit lenses you get when you buy a dslr is amazing.

Another great piece of kit is a collapsable reflector especially one with a gold surface, gives a lovely warm glow to your subject as well as eliminating shadows and making your image look a lot less like a snap.

If the sun is quite bright shoot the model with her back to the sun and use fill in flash, if the models is facing the sun there is a tendency to squint.

I will be in Bangkok shooting a couple of models from the 4th march and then into patts on the 7th. If you are there would love to hook up and get some shoots in.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO lights and lenses are the key. I use a D200 and up to 5 Nikon flash units that work wireless. Setup is all done at the master flash. I can go anywhere and set up in minutes. The lens can be the real wallet cruncher. So the one I use is a Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200 f3.5-5.6G. With the D200 the lens turn out to have a 28-300 zoom. Good for all round situations and portability.

http://flickr.com/photos/10279679@N03/?saved=1

Edited by The Pope

• 7 months later...

THe second picture looks heavily photoshopped.

Having a Canon DSLR, and played around a lot with Nikon and other Canon DSLRs, I would choose the Nikon D80. The canon does not look as well built and the biggest thing for me is the shutter on the Canon is not as satisfying as the feel you get from pressing the shutter on the D80. You can actually feel and hear the shutter blades! The material is top notch as compared to the Canon which feels a bit plasticky.

I agree she is just WAW ...

btw she look like japanese. i love it

dame.. i can eat that for days.... :D

247299-27.jpg

Crazylit

lbfucker.gif

I used to do alot of photography years ago and had a local chap service my stuff. I asked him once what the different makes were like and he said 'Olympus bought me this house' in other words they went wrong alot!

I bought Canon equpment about 20 yrs ago and have never seen the need to change I think their stuff is reliable up to date and always at the front edge of new technology. Their ultrasonic lenses are quiet and super fast.

However Nikon has always been the choice of the majority of professionals (although that is changing a bit) and I wouldn't tell anyone not to buy Nikon.

Good camera shops will let you borrow both for a weekend or so, so at the end it's personal choice.