Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Good news for the few Yanks with Tmobile who travel abroad

Little Evil

Tmobile just announced free unlimited global data roaming and text messages. Calls are $.20/min. Only issue is that it is throttled internet. Around 2G speeds, but still, for free.  Enough to check in with emails without attachments without having to buy a local SIM card. 

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-10/t-mobile-gets-rid-of-international-roaming-fees-shaming-competitors

Tmobile just announced free unlimited global data roaming and text messages. Calls are $.20/min. Only issue is that it is throttled internet. Around 2G speeds, but still, for free.  Enough to check in with emails without attachments without having to buy a local SIM card. 

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-10/t-mobile-gets-rid-of-international-roaming-fees-shaming-competitors

T-Mobile already has Wi-Fi calling for the longest time. A feature that I have leverage extensively. As long as you are calling via wi-fi connection, all of your incoming and outgoing calls are free of "air minutes". So you can make calls or receive calls from Pattaya (with wi-fi connection) as if you are at home.

That said, I would be careful about giving the BG my US phone number (you text them with your US phone, they'll have your US phone number to text for money and etc). I like to keep a completely separate identify while interacting with working girls (different email, bank account, phone, facebook accounts, WhatsApp account, Line, WeChat, name, age, etc).

T-Mobile already has Wi-Fi calling for the longest time. A feature that I have leverage extensively. As long as you are calling via wi-fi connection, all of your incoming and outgoing calls are free of "air minutes". So you can make calls or receive calls from Pattaya (with wi-fi connection) as if you are at home.

That said, I would be careful about giving the BG my US phone number (you text them with your US phone, they'll have your US phone number to text for money and etc). I like to keep a completely separate identify while interacting with working girls (different email, bank account, phone, facebook accounts, WhatsApp account, Line, WeChat, name, age, etc).

I've used the wifi calling while traveling as well, but you're always tethered to wifi to send/receive calls. True global data and call roaming with no carrier fees for base service is great news.  The price comparison is crazy when they compared a few calls and data packages.  Verizon was like $1500. and Tmobile was under $7 on this new plan.

I would never give a BG my real phone number.  I give them my Google voice number to call and text. Much easier to block/avoid with Google Voice.  It is great though to have friends/family be able to reach you on your own number while traveling (......or is it?)

There's always a catch:

"Calls over Wi-Fi are $.20/min; texts over Wi-Fi are $.20 each"

That is from the Tmobile website.  Sounds like they are killing free wifi calling when roaming abroad with this new global roaming. That's a trade off that I'm not sure is a good deal any more.  Free 2G data where ever you can get cell service while abroad, but no more free calls via wifi.  All calls are now $.20/min, wifi or over 2G.  I guess those who use more data than make phones calls are all set, but if you actually talk a lot while abroad, this is a step backwards.  

Well, that bites. I guess it all depends on which 2G data provider they are partner with in Thailand and how good that coverage is. 2G is good for WhatsApp, Line, WeChat, etc. For Facebook & likes is kind of SLOW!

Or via Skype app on your phone.Or computer.The 6 years I lived abroad after I retired,I always had the Skype deal that allowed unlimited calls to US & Canada for 3 months at $7.99.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Still, this is one screaming good deal. Here’s how it works: Starting Oct. 31, T-Mobile customers with its Simple Choice plans will be able to send text messages and access data for free in about 100 countries. They can also make calls for 20¢ per minute.

I guess it depends on whether one is living in the U.S. or Thailand on a full-time basis.

The one thing not mentioned above is that in order to get the international text messaging and 2G (NOT 3G) service via T-Mobile, you have to be subscribed on a recurring monthly basis to one of their qualifying calling plans, and I believe the qualifying plans start at $50 per month.

So, if you're living in the U.S., need a monthly calling plan anyway and and travel periodically to Thailand, it might make sense.

But if someone's living in Thailand, paying $50 a month to T-Mobile for 2G data and text messaging makes ZERO sense.

Plus, in today's world, who sends many SMS messages anymore, what with free offerings like LINE, VIBER, What's App, etc etc.

Thailand sets the price bar pretty low.  You're going to be hard pressed to stay on roaming and still beat the prices here in thailand.   Maybe elswere, but in Thailand, get a Thai SIM.

Thailand sets the price bar pretty low.  You're going to be hard pressed to stay on roaming and still beat the prices here in thailand.   Maybe elswere, but in Thailand, get a Thai SIM.

True.  Cheap enough to get fast internet and phone while abroad, but that's not really the point.  The point is to keep your number while traveling abroad so that family and friends back home can just call your regular number.  It is also nice to not being tethered to a wifi signal when making calls from LOS to back home. You'll eat the fees at $.20/min, but that is comparatively cheap compared to the American competition. It is also nice to not have to figure out Thai service for short trips of a week or two, especially if you have a locked phone. There is something to be said about just turning your phone on after landing and having it just work. I hope this pushes the industry towards everyone having global roaming included.  

Saw the FAQ here:

http://www.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-international-plans.html#faq

Seems like no change to WiFi calling.  Best of both world.

What about Wi-Fi?

If you are on a Simple Choice plan that includes international roaming, calls and texts, while using our Wi-Fi calling feature, back to the US are free and calls within a Simple Global country to any other Simple Global country are $0.20/min (same as cellular). WiFi calls and to countries outside of the Simple Global countries are subject to international long distance rates, which vary by country. All Wi-Fi texts are $0.20 with the exception of texts back to the U.S., which are free.

Saw the FAQ here:

http://www.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-international-plans.html#faq

Seems like no change to WiFi calling.  Best of both world.

What about Wi-Fi?

If you are on a Simple Choice plan that includes international roaming, calls and texts, while using our Wi-Fi calling feature, back to the US are free and calls within a Simple Global country to any other Simple Global country are $0.20/min (same as cellular). WiFi calls and to countries outside of the Simple Global countries are subject to international long distance rates, which vary by country. All Wi-Fi texts are $0.20 with the exception of texts back to the U.S., which are free.

Huh...I must have read it wrong.  This is good news indeed--thanks for doing the homework on it.  Time to pre-load that wifi list into my phone for my next trip:

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/152662-post-wifi-passwords-here/

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bit of follow up on this thread. Used my USA Tmobile SIM while in Pattaya a week ago. Full bars just about everywhere, but the "free" internet data is throttled to 2G indeed. Wasn't too bad though for quick look ups and map use, but you're not going to be streaming much of anything on 2G. Also rather painfully slow for retrieving things from the cloud like pictures or even my PDF itinerary. I did manage to dial home numbers like regular and was able to make calls pretty effortlessly.  Still have to dial internationally when calling Thai numbers.  So, I guess if you need to be on-call and don't mind the free 2G internet, it is worth it.  If not, paying a few dollars for a Thai sim and 3G speeds probably makes more sense. 

Archived