Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Shopping in Thailand/Pattaya

JPzzz

Will be visiting Pattaya for the first time in March this year. From speaking with mates that have already visited, they were saying that it is a excellent place to get some nice clothes ...

Normally i do my shopping before i leave on holidays, just to avoid the hassles really. However i was out today doing a bit of shopping and the prices are just mental. Polo shirts, light sweaters ... mad money ...

Since i arrive into Bangkok on 25th March, i was considering to book a hotel for one night there and maybe do all the clothes shopping for my trip there ... in other words ... go with an empty suitcase ...

Just need to pick up some things like trendy jeans, t-shirts, polo shirts, shirts with good fit, cargo shorts and the like ...

Was thinking of MBK, Pratunam Market and the like.

Problem is that i know when i arrive in Bangkok i will be mad to get to Pattaya that evening for some serious relaxing :) ...

So my question to some of the more experienced members on here is ... Should i skip Bangkok? and would i be able to get everything i need over the course of my trip by shopping in Pattaya? Also would a budget of 12,000 Bhat get me some decenet threads for my trip ... you know ...

to get that "handsome man come here" comment that i hear so many people speak of :)

thanks in advance for all replies lads

cheers

JP

Edited by JPzzz

You've got to be canny when you buy clothes these days in Thailand. Most of the big brands are no different in price to that of the west, in fact the west is often cheaper because there's more competetion with so many retailers.

So no, 12k won't get you that far, about as far say as in your home country wherever that is.

Are them some good deals, sure but you have to seek them out and above all know your home prices. Even a lot of the clothes you buy in the Thailand Tesco is about the same price as in the UK one. And don't forget if you buy on the street or in the local market they don't last that long, mind you neither will the stuff you buy in Tesco's either.

Another point, if you're large (fat, muscular or just big) then you might struggle to find a good selection in your size.

MBK in Bangkok is a good place to shop, gets cheaper as you head to the higher floors, brand name shops near the bottom, market type small shops/stalls towards the top. I've shopped before in Pratunam but never really rated it.

shopping in Pattaya is not bad, plently of places, 3 or 4 type malls/large supermarkets.

I used to buy a lot of clothes in Pattaya but not anymore. I always look and either find nothing really special or the price is too expensive. Can't resit buying a load of cheap tracksuit bottoms though for 100-200 Bht, yep they only last a year but then throw them away and replace.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
You've got to be canny when you buy clothes these days in Thailand. Most of the big brands are no different in price to that of the west, in fact the west is often cheaper because there's more competetion with so many retailers.

So no, 12k won't get you that far, about as far say as in your home country wherever that is.

Are them some good deals, sure but you have to seek them out and above all know your home prices. Even a lot of the clothes you buy in the Thailand Tesco is about the same price as in the UK one. And don't forget if you buy on the street or in the local market they don't last that long, mind you neither will the stuff you buy in Tesco's either.

Another point, if you're large (fat, muscular or just big) then you might struggle to find a good selection in your size.

MBK in Bangkok is a good place to shop, gets cheaper as you head to the higher floors, brand name shops near the bottom, market type small shops/stalls towards the top. I've shopped before in Pratunam but never really rated it.

shopping in Pattaya is not bad, plently of places, 3 or 4 type malls/large supermarkets.

I used to buy a lot of clothes in Pattaya but not anymore. I always look and either find nothing really special or the price is too expensive. Can't resit buying a load of cheap tracksuit bottoms though for 100-200 Bht, yep they only last a year but then throw them away and replace.

Hope this helps

The above is pretty sound, some of the snide gear is good some rubbish. A lot of the jeans are quite good but the polo shirts are not good IMHO

cargo shorts and flip flops are fine. As said if you are big you will struggle for sizes

Hi,

Pattaya is a very good place for shopping especially for clothes. Half of my family is living in Bangkok but they like, when they are in Pattaya, to do some shopping here. They say price in Pattaya are often cheaper than in Bangkok (they are Thai so you can trust them about price…).

For tourists best places are markets (Theprasit, Nakua, Bouacaw) or mail (Mike shopping, Outlet, Royal garden…).

When you will be in Pattaya, you will have a lot of place to explore if you like shopping…

Cheers

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)