IGNORED

Economical,clear reception calls,sms and data for a short stay!

batista275

Hi guys,

I will be travelling to BKK and Pattaya from Oct 18-22.

whats the best network provider which has great coverage and is economical on data and calls?

I am a newbie so where should I buy the sims from?I was in BKK about 2 years back and had a problem in reloading through those scratch phone cards

Thanks

I use true which can be renewed so it lasts for years.............but it doesn't seem to work outside of Thailand.

DTAC , buy at 7/11 or AIS at the airport , With DTAC you can keep your number for 364 days so handy if you plan to return

thanks mate,

How much are the pre paid cards and how many minutes(local),data do I get?How much for text messages?

I use 12call (AIS). Picked up rhe sim at the airport. I use a 699 baht data plan which gives me up to 3gig of data use at 3G speeds. (I only ever use between 1 and 1.5 gig). Credit lasts for 1 year and it also works in Australia if you need to topup ir receive texts (for thai banking) -uses the Optus network. Coverage is good but a friend believes DTAC has better coverage in Pattaya. I like AIS because they have a store on the bottom floor of Central festival shopping centre (beach end next to the entrance) were you can go with your phone to fix any issues. Very good customer service and easy to trouble shoot anything from network to phone problems.

I use 12call (AIS). Picked up rhe sim at the airport. I use a 699 baht data plan which gives me up to 3gig of data use at 3G speeds. (I only ever use between 1 and 1.5 gig). Credit lasts for 1 year and it also works in Australia if you need to topup ir receive texts (for thai banking) -uses the Optus network. Coverage is good but a friend believes DTAC has better coverage in Pattaya. I like AIS because they have a store on the bottom floor of Central festival shopping centre (beach end next to the entrance) were you can go with your phone to fix any issues. Very good customer service and easy to trouble shoot anything from network to phone problems.

I live in Pattaya but go to BKK a lot too. I use AIS (1 2 Call) for both my cell phone and internet service(a pocket wireless modem). They are both excellent and I would highly recommend them. Good friendly customer service and their agents tend to speak good English, but most importantly their system WORKS!!! That is what floats my boat....shit that works. Sure, one can try and save a penny and then spend all kinds of time being frustrated and fiddle-farting around trying to get it to work.Good luck mate!

• 2 weeks later...

My short experience with Thai phones and data.

I started with Dtac and as I make monthly short visits I chose a 200baht plan and it worked fine with my old blackberry (used as my traveling phone) and the speed and connection is OK. An additional note on Dtac if you pay 50 baht you can keep the number for one year instead of topping up each month. Once topped up on the internet through the Dtac web site with my credit card. The other thing with Dtac is the queue at the airport; I went to the office in South Pattaya "Big C" Sukhumvit Road between South Pattaya Road and Thep Prasit and they were very helpful.

As my company phone is an iPhone and my company mail is on it and therefore a SIM (small type) problem I bought an AIS POCKET WIFI AIS 21.6 MBPS 1,499baht at Tesco Lotus; top up at the airport (less queuing for AIS) for 7 days 120baht and you have your own hotspot to use internet and data on your own phone (you can 5 users). So now I only use my blackberry as a local phone.

Hope this info helps.

Archived