Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thailand border run? Need help...

Hockeydude

I've been doing some research but I'm having a hard time figuring out if a border run will allow a US citizen to stay in Thailand for longer than 30 days.

Are there places that will run you to Cambodia or Vietnam that will allow a US citizen to extend a 30 day visa without having to apply for a 60 day tourist visa?

Border run only extend to 17 15 days not 30 days.

just fly out and get another 30days visa exemption on arrival,cambodia,vietnam,phillipines,cheapest and easy to do

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

Thanks... I've heard conflicting info about not having a return flight. Would that cause any issues getting in to LOS?

no problem,never been asked about a return flight,if they did ask just tell them your touring asia

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

I'm from the UK (not sure if it is the same for US citizens but I believe it is), this is my experience recently...

Doing a land crossing will get you 15 days, a flight out and back in will get you 30 days.  I've done a few crossings (late last year), about 1900 baht from most visa run companies in Patts.  Mine were to Cambodia.  I've done 1 air return, flew to Malaysia as that country was the cheapest at the time, stayed one night, returned and got a 30 day stamp.

You could just do 2 land border runs if you didn't want to fly, etc.  Back to back are not a problem, or they weren't for me.  Just make sure you get the hell out of the country on or before the date to leave by on the departure card.

I'd be careful about flying into the kingdom and not having a return or onward flight out within the 30 days.

You will not be asked when entering LOS, as you won't get that far.  It is an airline boarding regulation.  You will not be allowed to board the flight.

The reason I say this is I flew into LOS earlier this year with a triple entry tourist visa and a one way ticket.

I was stopped at the airport (before even being allowed to board the plane) and asked about a return or onward ticket, i.e. where is it.

I already knew I was allowed to do this with a visa as I'd checked the details the airlines use for boarding flight requirements.  It is not required for you to have a return or onward flight with a visa but I believe it is for the visa exempt (30 days).

I think it is to much of a risk to try and wing it.  You will not be able to just say you are touring Asia, if you are, they will expect to see a flight out of LOS (a ticket) onto your next destination (not necessarily a return ticket).

I've heard of people being stopped at check in and they have booked a cheap flight to a neighboring country whilst at the Airport then gone back to check in and being allowed to board.

Hell, why not get a single entry (60 days) from Laos, or wherever, and extend by 30 days to give you nearly 90 days here, with no border runs, etc.  The last thing you want is if you get to your 30 days and want to stay longer then have to go through all the runs, etc again.

I've been doing some research but I'm having a hard time figuring out if a border run will allow a US citizen to stay in Thailand for longer than 30 days.

Are there places that will run you to Cambodia or Vietnam that will allow a US citizen to extend a 30 day visa without having to apply for a 60 day tourist visa?

I met once an Irishman who had come to Thailand on visa exemption (30 days).

Then he had gone to Immigration in Jomtien (Soi 5) to get an extension of 7 days if my memory serves me well.

Another alternative is to pay for your overstay 500 baht per day when leaving the country.

IMO however you are better off getting a tourist visa (60 days) in your home country, which I always did when I wanted to stay more than 30 days.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival, which was valid for 30 days.

According to a spokesman for the Thai Immigration Bureau, the new regulation was created to encourage foreigners to secure the proper visas in advance from a Royal Thai Embassy prior to their arrival. The new rule will also limit the amount of back-to-back visa runs being made by foreigners to extend their stay.

However, this change only applies to visitors who have not obtained a visa beforehand, and are entering from the border by land. Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp. Extensions at Thai Immigration after the Visa on Arrival has expired remain at 7 days, after which you must leave the country or pay the penalty and other sanctions for overstaying the visa.

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival. Immigration authorities further clarified that there is no longer a limit on the number of times a foreigner may enter Thailand within the days allowed on the Visa on Arrival. The former provision stating that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has already been dropped.

From ThaiEmbassy.com

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival, which was valid for 30 days./quote]

So if I go to Cambodia or Malaysia, I'll have an extra 15 days?

Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival, which was valid for 30 days./quote]

So if I go to Cambodia or Malaysia, I'll have an extra 15 days?

Yes.. Border Crossing 15 days, Flight to outside Thailand 30 days.

What country can you fly to and get a stamp for 30days? How much does it cost?

Any country and costs nothing ... well the flight will cost you :D ... it's the standard 30 day you get when flying in.

I've gone to Laos and stayed the night while getting a tourist visa and it only cost me about 10k Baht for the entire trip.

up to you

Archived