IGNORED

Thai sim card

kikielee

Had the same 12call sim for years. Used to be quite cheap to call home, 1,000baht would last me 2 weeks easy...now its not even a week. Is it because the cost has gone up? or do I need to change my sim?

What network do you guys find then best....for calls and roaming?

Thanks in advance...

I use 12call too but I do more texting than calling,im a bit of a text maniac and limit myself to one or two calls home each trip,although I might make a few local calls to thai lasses.If I don't go silly 1000-1200 will easily last me 3 weeks.

check if you have data on ,  and your checking you email account hourly ,  ( i have 4 account i had to keep a check on ) and found this did eat my credit up quickly , so stick to wifi check only ( most bars have it )

also if you was using a Whatapp type app out side of wifi , this too would eat your credit

or this is what i found too

normally 1000 should last 2 weeks and as long as I watch out for the above i can make it last once more

your avatar shows a thai flag, are you trying to get the most out of local calls?

if you are American you can make free calls to the entire USA using google voice on your phone, you only need a wifi or data plan.

:Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1:

check if you have data on ,  and your checking you email account hourly ,  ( i have 4 account i had to keep a check on ) and found this did eat my credit up quickly , so stick to wifi check only ( most bars have it )

also if you was using a Whatapp type app out side of wifi , this too would eat your credit

or this is what i found too

normally 1000 should last 2 weeks and as long as I watch out for the above i can make it last once more

Yes it probably is the data eating your credit. Happened to me. Went to AIS shop in Central and got an unlimited 3G data package which was 850B for a month. You also get free 3BB wifi as long as you remind the salesperson to enable it. They will SMS your username which is your number and a password.

Cheers

FlipperSoi8

Went to AIS shop in Central and got an unlimited 3G data package which was 850B for a month. You also get free 3BB wifi as long as you remind the salesperson to enable it. They will SMS your username which is your number and a password.

That is excellent information.

Does anyone have any experience with DTAC or True?

up to you

Skype is free to call home which is a more sensible way to stay in touch with home in this century.

i use ais Post paid 

450 baht for 1  3 g gig/month than it drops to edge/gprs unlimited as i leave my whatsapp on all the time

250 minutes local

250 sims

i than use Took dee calling card for long distance ( 65 satang/minute to the states)

to get post paid u need;

a non B visa OR a local credit card ( not atm card)

passport

address

Skype is free to call home which is a more sensible way to stay in touch with home in this century.

I thought Skype was only free if you're calling from computer to computer. Once you try to reach a phone on Skype it wants credit.

up to you

Yes it probably is the data eating your credit. Happened to me. Went to AIS shop in Central and got an unlimited 3G data package which was 850B for a month. You also get free 3BB wifi as long as you remind the salesperson to enable it. They will SMS your username which is your number and a password.

Cheers

FlipperSoi8

nice 1 ...thanks

i use ais Post paid 

450 baht for 1  3 g gig/month than it drops to edge/gprs unlimited as i leave my whatsapp on all the time

250 minutes local

250 sims

i than use Took dee calling card for long distance ( 65 satang/minute to the states)

to get post paid u need;

a non B visa OR a local credit card ( not atm card)

passport

address

sounds good, didnt realise there was so many options

most regulars have same numbers for years , cost pennies , stick

to payasgo , forget network plans , wifi free every ware cafe's

bars hotels , why pay when can get for free .

I use true but just to phone uk 1B per min when i got the card i told them it was for int calls

I thought Skype was only free if you're calling from computer to computer. Once you try to reach a phone on Skype it wants credit.

The person he is calling has no computer? Not very likely.

Calls to North America are like a penny or 1 1/2 cents a minute to a phone which is still pretty cheap.

I understand you can use gOOgle Voice to call North America FREE, if you've got an Android phone and a Wi-Fi connection or Data enabled.

up to you

Does anyone have any experience with DTAC or True?

Still wondering about DTAC or True... any... body...

up to you

I used true on my last trip (March) excellent 3g coverage no drop in signal and bought month plan with unlimited data! calls were cheap as chips highly reccomend

DTAC calls to the US if I remember right as of 3 months ago are 4 cents or less a minute. The little card enclosed in the package with the sim card explains the rates

I've never bought a thai sim card before, so maybe you guys can help with what to buy...

- I will be using it for 3 months 

- I will likely make a few calls to other thai sims' only

- A few sms

- no data needed or calls outside of thailand

which provider and where to buy the card please? (a rough idea of cost of calls and sms would be great)

thanks

• 2 months later...

On the GoogleTalk and Skype issue - In the US, Googletalk will use your air minutes, as that's the way it's configured by the carriers (with my verizon, at least) to keep you paying their air time. I'm guessing that's going to work the same way with other SIMs installed. Skype will use data only. Calling from the US to Thailand with both my computer and phone, I find Skype to be a better connection than GoogleTalk.

A lot of the girls will have WeChat, a Chinese voice and text service, which is data only.

Archived