IGNORED

Suppressing Harassers

Pattaya Daily News

eco_bus620_021053.jpg
During rush hours where passenger have to squeeze one another like tuna cans to stay on board, now need not worry about being victims of harassment because safety officials have made their presence to protect passengers.

‘Victims’ of sexual harassment are not just female passengers but also female conductors (fare collectors boxes) that have been confronted with several deviant acts.

Bangkok Mass Transit Authority, together with the related project is creating a campaign to “Eliminate and provide sexual harassment free zone”

Time has arrived for passengers and fare collectors to receive serious protection against sexual harassment.

The 3 major sexual harassment cases are:

1. Sexual harassment among employees
2. Sexual harassment between employees and passengers.
3. Sexual harassment among passengers

Usually fare collectors are women and they unknowingly become victims of sexual harassment i.e verbally or by caressing and touching her clothing, hair, or body. These women are afraid to file complains because they are unsure of their safety and are reluctant about the consequences.

Usually female passengers are college students on female that dresses inappropriately and therefore gets picked at or teased with lines like “do you want go with me, pretty girl, are you here alone!”

The transportation department has set guidelines in promoting safety areas. These measures are set to protect passengers by providing a channel to receive complains deviant behavior.

At the moment there are 120 employees working as safety officer, these officers have been hired from fare collector’s position. The safety officials will be in the local buses as an eye for providing a safety environment. If a passenger has a complaint they could report if to safety officials at that very instant. From then on the safety officer will try and resolve the problem. The passenger report inappropriate behavior such as staring, pushing on even verbal communication.

For employees that were involved in sexual harassment case among employee from BMTA (Bangkok Mass Transit Authority) they have now been transferred to other routes. However, if this act is repeated that employee will be suspended from work.

The goal behind training these safety officials is so that they could help resolve and cease harassers from continuing their behavior. In a situation if a passenger reports of a harasser, the officer will try to help by switching seats. However, if a passenger is being harassed, it is recommended that she shout loudly to create awareness which could embarrass the harasser from continuing.

Even though Pattaya does not have local buses, but the songthaew(baht buses) are equivalent to Bangkok buses. The have caused problems such as mugging, cheating fare prices and even dropping passenger before reaching their destination. However, if Pattaya do enforce these measure then it would be much better than having police in every corner and streets of Pattaya.

Related items

Advertise

Print This News Print This News

Type : Society
Story : Yanathip
Photo : Internet

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

View the full article

Copping feels is my favourite thing about public transport.

Never quite the same have a Hard-on in a Taxi. which is why I used the Bus. Looks like I will have to start taking the Train everywhere now 5555555 Even if I do not want to go where it is heading

Archived