IGNORED

You've Landed in Good Old Blighty!

scotchbroth100

not sure if this is the best area for this!

OK, you've stepped off the plane and have collected your luggage, now that you are haeding for customs, you have that choice to make - the red or green channel. I'm sure 99% of us will head straight for the green.

What I want to know is this, if you are carrying over the limit in fags and alcohol, and are going through the gren channel and you get tagged by the customs men. What happens next? Do they confiscate the contraband or do the y charge you the duty? Do you get a choice?

Now if you agree to pay the duty for your goods, just how is the amount owed calculated? Do they check your receipts - if you have them! As far as I remember fags at BKK were 500b for 200 and whisky such as Sang Som and Mehkong are roughly about 300b each at the airport. So, if the amount of duty owed is based on the price you paid in the LOS, would it still come out quids in?

Or, as is likely, is it all a litle more complicated than this?

I am not sure ,but i think the duty on cigarettes is a set amount regardless of how much you paid for them , for example if duty on a packet of cigarettes was £2 then you would have pay 20 pound on 200 cigarretts .I think they might even confiscate them anyway to teach you a lesson .But get caught once and you will be for ever getting stopped as your name will flag up .Sorry i could not answer your question properly .

and whisky such as Sang Som and Mehkong are roughly about 300b each at the airport.

But if you buy your Sangsom etc at the Big C ( Cheaper than the airport) and keep the till receipt you have already paid duty (VAT) in Thailand so it's not duty free..

But if you buy your Sangsom etc at the Big C ( Cheaper than the airport) and keep the till receipt you have already paid duty (VAT) in Thailand so it's not duty free..

jep same I do with ciggies although Im not sure if there is a limit on how many you can bring in when VAT is already paid

I don't really know what they will do but I would rather not find out. If I had to hazard a guess I would say that they would be confiscated and you would be given a rather large fine. I think your opportunity to pay the tax expires the second your head down the green channel.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I was watching a programme on tv the other night and this guy went through the green channel with fags in his luggage well over the limit... he lost all of them. They just confiscated the lot. Then they went on about how tax evasion is a victimless crime but taxes still have to be paid in this country.

I used to work behind an inland revenue/hm customs and excise office and all you used to see at about 5pm was people loading there cars full of those clear plastic bags full of booze and fags. One rule for one, another rule for another.

jep same I do with ciggies although Im not sure if there is a limit on how many you can bring in when VAT is already paid

As long as they are for personal use..I don't know how they prove they aren't...I fly into LOS with 2 x 5 ltre boxes of SA wine...I am sure they will take a look at my big fat stomach and realise it is DEFINATELY for personal use...

Don't know don't care, just walked in the house from my flight back from BKK - tooooo depressed to think :Cry4::Cry4:

Sorry to hear that are home, it's such a bummer when that happens!!!