Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Unlocking a Iphone 4s CDMA network, any luck in Thailand?

Thaidive

Hello, I have an American Apple 4s Iphone. Its set up to work on a CDMA network; but has a micro sim card. Has anyone brought a similar phone to Thailand and attempted to have it unlocked there. Any luck?   

Cheers

Hello, I have an American Apple 4s Iphone. Its set up to work on a CDMA network; but has a micro sim card. Has anyone brought a similar phone to Thailand and attempted to have it unlocked there. Any luck?  

It's a 2-part answer: unlocking and network availability.

1. If you can at all unlock the phone at home, do so. The only option you'll have in LOS is to get it jailbroken, which means also losing all the data on the phone, circumventing its security, flashing the phone and then having to restore all of that data back to the phone, likely via iCloud (you'll need to be on a good wifi network too…). I know there are people who say jailbreaking is fine - if you want to tweak your phone to the nth degree, it's the way to go - but I'm a "just-works"-kind of guy and I found my 3GS much more unstable and much slower when jailbroken, plus every time there's an update you might bust the jailbreak. Jailbreaking is a pain in the ass. 

As you're in the US, I think you can have it unlocked after 2 years of service. My phone was from AT&T, but as I never activated it on their network (I live in the Netherlands) they refused to unlock mine. Instead I went to these guys: attiphoneunlocking.com and was very happy with the unlock. I've already done an OS update in the phone and there was no problems with updating and keeping the unlock. 

2. As long as you're using a 4S, not a 4, you should be able to get on their GSM networks without any trouble. The 4S supports GSM and CDMA and is vetted as a "world phone". The 4 CDMA is doomed - I say, dooooomed - to living on CDMA-only networks in the US and Japan. GSM is the way to go. 

Archived