IGNORED

Rental Clubs

PigBoy#1

Good Day

This will be the first year that I will golf in Pattaya, but having a stop over and having to change airlines, bringing my clubs would be a major pain in the ass. Do most of you bring your clubs or do you rent them there?

Thanks

PB#1

I would say it would depend on how many rounds you expect to play and the quality of the clubs that you have at home.  The clubs available for rent are of varying vintage, make-up and quality.(I think around 500 baht to rent)  Don't have expectations that you are renting this years Callaways or Taylormades.(very far from it)  If you are golfing more than a few rounds and a serious golfer then I would bring my own clubs.  It's not too much hassle; just load your golf bag onto a trolley at the airport.  

Check with your airline for additional baggage fees if they only allow one bag.

I've rented clubs plenty of times. If you're just a novce like me it's no big deal, but if you take your golf very seriously expect to be disappointed by the general quality of rental clubs in Pattaya. 

The head of my rental driver flew off during one round (actually went further than the ball). I anticipated a long conversation over having to pay for the damage when I didn't do anything wrong, but when I returned the clubs the bar manager just laughed and told me they were 'copy clubs'. I didn't know whether to be releived or annoyed.

Hello Mate, I run a ''non competition'' golf group out of Witherspoons bar in Soi Buakhow.

Check Out my website:

http://witherspoonsgolfgroup.webs.com/

I hire out golf sets, 300 baht and have Pings and Callaways, full sets. If someone is going to rent a few times then I obviously do them a better deal.  The normal price at most of the courses now is 800 - 1000.

Hope this gives you a better idea.

Paul

i would say that I am a serious golfer. So if I am staying in Pattaya are thier decent courses nearby? And if its hot as hell.....who is out there playing? Thanks

i would say that I am a serious golfer. So if I am staying in Pattaya are thier decent courses nearby? And if its hot as hell.....who is out there playing? Thanks

LPGA have played at Siam Country Club Old course a few times recently - is that decent and serious enough for you?

You have to define "decent" for any poster to give you relative feedback but personally I would say there are plenty of challenging and enjoyable courses (not always the same thing  :GoldenSmile1: ) within a maximum of 45 minutes drive.

I really enjoy playing in the sun/heat and from how busy the courses are in high season so do a lot of others. Everyone's different. Taking a cart helps if you don't want to walk, lots of refreshment stops, caddy to mop your brow and sometimes elsewhere......

• 2 weeks later...

About 20+ courses in the Pattaya area with many very good so a lot of choice.  Various bar groups and tours in the area and you can pick whether to play top tier, budget or value for money type courses.  Most are aligned with Pattaya Sports Club (PSC) for their competitions and some independent.  While warm/hot now it is also low season until November 1 so prices reduced and courses not too crowded which improves pace of play.  As noted by others you can chose to walk or ride at most courses although some require mandatory carts.

If you enjoy golf would definitely make that part of your plan for Pattaya.

Common sense is not very common.

Great golf around Pattaya and usually very hot, the caddies are lovely.  I find going to bed around 9am is not overly condusive for playing golf before it gets dark.  At home I play 3 times a week. in Siam after 11 trips I've played twice!

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Archived