Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Canon Powershot N?

999Baht

Hello all. 

I am always looking at different camera options.

From Mobile phones to Point and Shoots they just always interest me...especially when I'm about to embark on another holiday. 

This time the Canon Powershot N has peaked my interest. 

I have read some reviews but I want to know if any of you have bought this camera?

I love that you can sync it straight to your smartphone and then upload/share photos but is this really necessary??

Probably not seeing as I have a Canon s100 already but again I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this camera. 

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Bump...anyone??? Anyone at all??

I had a Canon Powershot A640 and the image sensor went after 5 years of operation.

Retired

I've got a Canon Power Shot SX230HS brilliant camera

I have not used the camera in question but i have used many of the other point and shoots as well as dslrs.

Point and shoot cameras work great and take decent pictures, however they are constantly beat in terms of quality by dslrs . The main stay of all cameras are the image sensors and the optics. The image sensor in dslr camera's is many times larger than that used in point and shoot cameras . In non technical speak this means point and shots suffer from larger amounts of image grain and visible pixels . The optics on dslr camera's can also be changed and are of higher quality then that of standard point and shoots, this again effects image quality . Most people get caught up in mega pixel this and mega pixel that , image sensors and optics have a far larger impact on quality then megapixels . I am still using a 8 mega pixel digital rebel and it still takes better pictures that all the point and shoots i have used of higher mega pixels . Fyi i got if off craigslist almost new over 3 years ago for less than a new point and shoot.

Here are some power shot n sample pictures  http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_n_review/sample_images/

Here are some digital rebel samples pictures 

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digital_rebel_xt#SampleImages

I hope this information can be of some help even if in a small way.

I replaced my Canon Powershot A640 and it's faulty image sensor with a used Nikon D5000 DSLR, I actually paid less for the used Nikon, but costs quickly accelerated when I added a telephoto lens and speed light. It's heavy to carry but takes great pictures.

Retired

looks like a great camera. cant go wrong with it.

im partial to the canon s100. pretty much same camera tho.

I have not used the camera in question but i have used many of the other point and shoots as well as dslrs.

Point and shoot cameras work great and take decent pictures, however they are constantly beat in terms of quality by dslrs . The main stay of all cameras are the image sensors and the optics. The image sensor in dslr camera's is many times larger than that used in point and shoot cameras . In non technical speak this means point and shots suffer from larger amounts of image grain and visible pixels . The optics on dslr camera's can also be changed and are of higher quality then that of standard point and shoots, this again effects image quality . Most people get caught up in mega pixel this and mega pixel that , image sensors and optics have a far larger impact on quality then megapixels . I am still using a 8 mega pixel digital rebel and it still takes better pictures that all the point and shoots i have used of higher mega pixels . Fyi i got if off craigslist almost new over 3 years ago for less than a new point and shoot.

Here are some power shot n sample pictures  http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_n_review/sample_images/

Here are some digital rebel samples pictures 

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digital_rebel_xt#SampleImages

I hope this information can be of some help even if in a small way.

I replaced my Canon Powershot A640 and it's faulty image sensor with a used Nikon D5000 DSLR, I actually paid less for the used Nikon, but costs quickly accelerated when I added a telephoto lens and speed light. It's heavy to carry but takes great pictures.

Thanks for the info in DSLR's guys. 

I do intend on getting one eventually and getting into photography a lot more. 

The problem is that right now I'm looking for a great little camera that I can simply put into my pocket and not worry about too much. 

I have the Canon Powershot s100 and I'm happy with it but I'm always on the look out for something newer and better. 

looks like a great camera. cant go wrong with it.

im partial to the canon s100. pretty much same camera tho.

I love my s100 also...this one looks a little smaller and has some cool features on it BUT I've since found some reviews about it and my main concern is the low light photos. 

As you know most bars and ST rooms are poorly lit and this is where most of my photos will be taken. 

I guess for now I'll stick with the s100. 

After you've toyed with a DSLR, you'll never go back to a point-and-shoot.  With advancements in phone cameras, it is worth investing in one?

Retired

I love my s100 also...this one looks a little smaller and has some cool features on it BUT I've since found some reviews about it and my main concern is the low light photos. 

As you know most bars and ST rooms are poorly lit and this is where most of my photos will be taken. 

I guess for now I'll stick with the s100. 

low light is a biggie. i mainly bought it for the manual controls and how the iso handles a lot of conditions. great camera.

low light is a biggie. i mainly bought it for the manual controls and how the iso handles a lot of conditions. great camera.

It's something I really need to get better at...adjusting the manual controls like iso etc. 

Perhaps a photography course is something I need to consider sooner rather than later. 

got the s110, can wireless photos to your phone, got the girl in the shop to set it up for me,(would have taken me hours) took her 30 minutes to set up, had problems downloading app to phone, she tells me i need to upgrade my phone to get a quicker connection, have a Galaxy mini at present,she had a galaxy SL3 mini which transfered much quicker.

Like the s110 easy to use, point and shoot, no real improvement on photo quality, recording video is easy, just one button and off you go.

Not sure i would spend the cash to upgrade, but a nice camera, good picture and can fit in pocket

got the s110, can wireless photos to your phone, got the girl in the shop to set it up for me,(would have taken me hours) took her 30 minutes to set up, had problems downloading app to phone, she tells me i need to upgrade my phone to get a quicker connection, have a Galaxy mini at present,she had a galaxy SL3 mini which transfered much quicker.

Like the s110 easy to use, point and shoot, no real improvement on photo quality, recording video is easy, just one button and off you go.

Thanks I was not aware that the s110 had the wireless transfer capabilities!

Now I'm a little annoyed that I got the s100...should have waited that little bit longer for the s110.

That would have solved all my problems with the iPhone and crappy pictures. 

Specs look too close to the S100 to really make a visual difference.

They both have:

• 12.1 MP
  • CMOS sensors (sensor is bigger in N)
  • Digic 5 processors
  • ISO 80-6400 on both (more steps on S100)

This boils down to a functional question at this point, where certain features may justify buying another camera that will produce relatively similar visual results.  The N has a smaller form factor with tilting screen, built-in wifi, slightly better optical zoom, 1cm min focal range (crazy if true), and may be better on battery life with a smaller screen and LED flash.  The S100 opens up wider (f/2.0 vs f/3.0 for N), has RAW, full HD video, and slightly better manual options.

To me, I don't think there is enough to justify buying a new camera with similar specs unless the form factor and wifi are more attractive to you than RAW and the f/2.0 of your current camera.  I actually think the S100 is a better camera.

I agree with BM Little Evil. The Canon Powershot S100 is a splendid camera. Despite having far too much DSLR and Micro 4/3 gear, the only camera I take to Thailand these days is an earlier Powershot model, the S90, first introduced in 2009. Lugging a big camera around in the tropics is tiresome. I have made large prints from this camera, A3+,size, which displays just how good the lens is. These attached are just snapshots at a local market flower stall. Both have been heavily re-sized.. One is cropped the other un-cropped. The white name card was intrusive, so I re-coloured it with two green hues, in Adobe CS4. Click twice on the shots to enlarge. At print size, the files are about 40mb. TIFF format.

To use the S100 for Portraits, I suggest you turn the main dial to SC (Special Conditions) and then rotate the rear dial to Portrait mode. The flash is quite powerful, at the short end of the zoom range, with the aperture set to f/2..

I shoot in RAW + Fine JPEG. I like Raw for when I make large prints @350dpi, after I have played around with the files in Lightroom 5, then CS4.

@999Baht

Until the cameras, and especially the flashes, improve considerably, in mobiles I suggest you carry a mobile and the S100. Both only weigh a few grams each. and you're a big lad.

Floral Display uncropped. Bury.jpg

Floral display cropped. Bury Market.jpg

The flash is quite powerful, at the short end of the zoom range, with the aperture set to f/2..

A piece of masking tape over the flash can act as a ghetto diffuser when the built-in option has little manual control.  It is my second favorite ghetto diffuser behind an empty cigarette box over a DSLR speedlight. Google Image: "cigarette box diffuser" to see what I'm talking about. Works surprisingly good in a pinch.  

A piece of masking tape over the flash can act as a ghetto diffuser when the built-in option has little manual control.  It is my second favorite ghetto diffuser behind an empty cigarette box over a DSLR speedlight. Google Image: "cigarette box diffuser" to see what I'm talking about. Works surprisingly good in a pinch.

The inbuilt Flash Exposure Compensation is +/- 2EV in1/3 stop increments, which should ensure correct flash exposure.

I must try the diffuser mentioned above . It sounds interesting. I have made an infra red filter, which slips over the pop-up flash, from over-exposed film. This trigger fires off my camera clubs studio flash system quite efficiently.

The inbuilt Flash Exposure Compensation is +/- 2EV in1/3 stop increments, which should ensure correct flash exposure.

I must try the diffuser mentioned above . It sounds interesting. I have made an infra red filter, which slips over the pop-up flash, from over-exposed film. This fires off my camera clubs studio flash system quite efficiently.

Wasn't sure about newer Canon point and shoot flash options, as the last Canon I've owned was an A460 that I got for free off miles from a trip to Vietnam I took years ago.  I'm a Nikon guy, but I do respect Canon gear to the point that I've considered switching.  

It's something I really need to get better at...adjusting the manual controls like iso etc. 

Perhaps a photography course is something I need to consider sooner rather than later. 

check youtube. lots of great tuts on there. im a pro photographer, but s100 is my p&s. i use a canon 5dm3 that is amazing. i'd tell you to learn manual but kind of defeats the p&s purpose.

id learn manual for low light/night shots on the s100 tho.

Archived