Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

First visit to Cafe Des Amis - review with photos

strawberrypi

After craving some quality food for a while I ventured out to the place that tops the tripadvisor restaurant section for pattaya:

http://cafedesamispattaya.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/CafeDesAmisPattaya (the latter more updated)

It's reachable from the baht bus route between Pattaya and Jomtien, somewhere in the middle between the two:

http://goo.gl/maps/DCcc4

Here is the big sign from the main road:

dLidtwu.jpg

There is a 200 meter walk from the main road to the actual restaurant:

RKZJeNA.jpg

When I arrived it was around 7 pm and I was the second or third guest there. At the time I left around 9 the place had filled up quite a bit more.

First, an appetizer: American pan-seared scallops with pork belly and apple puree:

iAVXi5I.jpg

I was nicely cooked and well-presented, but not a spectacular taste explosion.

The main course, spaghetti prawn arrabbiata with chorizo:

(Sorry, this looked so yummy that I started eating without first taking a photo. Hence the disheveled look of the dish.)

nTt84o3.jpg

It was served with some toasted cheese sandwiches that were just spectacular, just like the dish itself. This dish is a winner, in all of its simplicity.

Atmosphere shot with one of the cocktails I had:

OOINv9E.jpg

Finally, the desert, a chocolate fondant with vanilla icecream:

qoIVnR3.jpg

It was marked in the menu as requiring a 13 minute wait time - I figured it was a good indication that it would be prepared fully on the spot, rather than being half precooked as these unfortunately often are.

And this one certainly hit the spot! Outside crispy, inside oozing with Liquid chocolaty goodness - and the taste was well balanced too, lots of chocolate, not too bitter, not too sweet. A perfect end to a nice dinner.

Total damage was about 1700 THB, but that was including two cocktails at 250 THB each and an Asahi beer. I will be back...

(When I was finished it had started raining. The staff very nicely offered to run up to the main road and flag "in" a baht bus for me to get back.)

Thanks for the review. Will definitely check it out next time i visit Pattaya.

Mant thanks for taking the trouble to write a review - very helpful. I monitor the TA top ten and I wondered what this place was like. I will give it a try.

It is in my top 5 restaurants in Pattaya.

Simply outstanding in every way.

Being on the poor side, I can't get there as often as I'd like.

Can't wait to get back.

Enjoy the amazing service atmosphere and food.

Can't wait to get back.

Ok, that got me curious - could you name some of the other ones in your top 5? :)

(Particularly ones where a solo diner doesn't feel totally out of place.)

Mantra.

D2 hotel.

The Flair and the one further up the Hilton. Can't remember the flashy name now.

Fuji. You've got to love Fuji.

Le Beadoux

Arh we've got so so many to choose from.

$35 without the drinks......The portions look small. Was the vat and tip included?

Great review I really appreciate the effort you put into doing this. 

I often check trip adviser to see what restaurants I want to check out on my next trip to Pattaya. 

I will check this one out for sure. 

Thanks

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Many thanks for the review - another to wack onto the list for the next trip.

Shame the scallop dish didn't really work - generally hard to go wrong as long as you have good produce, and decent technical skills - ie, don't overcook them.

Cheers,

toomuch

If you could be bothered with lots of words: my newbie trip report from November 2010

Looks worth a visit. Always nice to have personal reviews. Should have done that last night. Visited Mata Hari for the first time. Excellent, food service, wine. I went with some friends based on their reccomendation. I will go again. Still can't beat Mantra for WOW factor though :o)

I must say great review with the pictures and all.  Nice to treat yourself once in a while.  Cheers!

I pay a visit to cafe de Amis at least once a trip, never had a bad meal, first class restaurant for sure.

Cafe De Amis is (all things considered) a great spot. Pity its so bloody hard to find the first time, but not as bad as Au Bon Coin of course! I have walked the 400m or so (the website suggests 275m - perhaps its somewhere in between?) many times after usually a great but never fantastically good meal, but then the service and staff and ambience more than makes up for it. Truth be known, there is no restaurant in Pattaya offering truly remarkable food, the very least of which is the Hilton, and as for Mantra, don't even get me started on their inconsistencies. On par with Matahari but with slightly better wine. Both need to up their wine offerings by the glass, but then ... the problem lies with the Thai government insisting on taxing such luxuries as wine so heavily..imho.

Christie, I would be interested to hear how you think it compares with Au Bon Coin, which is my fav so far.

Cheers

Russ

Ok, that got me curious - could you name some of the other ones in your top 5? :)

(Particularly ones where a solo diner doesn't feel totally out of place.)

Bruno's on Thappraya Rd is worth a shout out.  Service is very good and I would dine alone without feeling any unease.

Some decent small food available at the bar, if you just want a glass of wine and some light nibbles....

• 3 weeks later...

I like Cafe Amis, eaten there a few times and had good food. Also think the place has a nice feel to it.

Can't wait to get back.

• spot on, top place, very good food at a good price, cant wait to get back in 3 weeks,,,,

• 3 years later...

Had dinner at Cafe des Amis with a Thai Lady Friend last night. I have been once before and was looking forward to the evening. I was not disappointed. Although I think a discussion of what is the best restaurant in Pattaya/Jomtien is ridiculous by definition, I could not imagine anyone not including Cafe des Amis in that discussion. A few pics from the night.

Decor 

Cafe des Amis - Decor.JPG

I had the Roast Duck with Pate in a Cherry Sauce. Absolutely delicious.

Cafe des Amis - Roast Duck.JPG

My friend had the Tasmanian Salmon - Also perfectly done and delicious

Cafe des Amis - Tasmanian Salmon.JPG

Summary - If you want to check out some of the better restaurants in Jomtien, Cafe des Amis has to be on that list. Yes, it is pricey, We spent about 2250 baht for entrees only and 3 glasses of wine combined. The house Merlot is not bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds expensive for a nibble of scallop and a bit of pasta

It is expensive, but the quality is off the charts.

There are many good and not expensive, even cheap,places in Pattaya where one can feed himself.

There are not so many restaurants where one can  go for a nice meal and drinks, in a pleasant surrounding with styling service.

Of course all this at a price.

• 4 weeks later...

Only been there once so am by no means an expert, but there were 6 of us dining and everybody left very satisfied with the food, service and the ambience.

Will certainly return.

Archived