IGNORED

Medicare

ExPat

Can Medicare be used in Thailand and can I use insurance for prescriptions?I am a diabetic and I am wondering how expensive medical care is. every thing else seems to be less expensive.

Can Medicare be used in Thailand and can I use insurance for prescriptions?I am a diabetic and I am wondering how expensive medical care is. every thing else seems to be less expensive.

What country are you from?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I think he is from the USA :D

I think he is from the USA :D

That is what I suspect but the government health scheme in Australia is also called Medicare.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• 3 weeks later...

In a word , NO. American medicare wont cover you in thailand.

The good news is... that you can buy medical insurance there,

The bad news is... they probably will not cover a pre-existing condition,

BUT, ... the good news is that medical treatment and scripts

are much less expensive, so your OOP costs will not be significant. :Dance1:

In a word , NO. American medicare wont cover you in thailand.

The good news is... that you can buy medical insurance there,

The bad news is... they probably will not cover a pre-existing condition,

BUT, ... the good news is that medical treatment and scripts

are much less expensive, so your OOP costs will not be significant. :)

I recently heard that medicare is going to be coming out with an international supplement, I think they said an extra $1,200 US a year. Not sure though. I would contact them directly. I would not trust info. here completely on something as improtant as that.

IMO it would make sense to allow international coverage since medical care is almost always cheaper outside of the US.

FYI

I have suplimental Plan B it does cover me in foreign countries $250 deductable

Yes I am from USA

Larry

FYI

Yes I am from USA

Larry

Good to know, thanks. How much is the supplement?

FYI

Yes I am from USA

Larry

So, how does that work after the deductible. Show them the card and the doctor/hospital files claims or do you pay up front and then send the bills, etc. into medicare for reimbursement? If you file claims, I expect it goes back to US. How do you deal with that if there are issues with the claim. I don't expect there are any offices to help anywhere in Asia. If indeed you file for reimbursement, which I am guessing it is, how do you cover bills of large amounts. Let's start with something easy -- catscans/mri's. How about operations? Yes they are cheaper here, but still you might have to cover initial costs.

What about more difficult surgery: heart, prosthetic devices (knees and hips), etc? Does your coverage preclude you from going back to USA and using coverage there? How do you deal with prescription drugs? Yes, most basic drugs are much cheaper, but if you need something like Plavix, etc., they run about 40-60 percent of the cheapest you can find in USA, but in the long run still costly, do have additional coverage for these?

I am curious as this may be something I might explore when I am eligible.

Edited by khagai