IGNORED

Which Pick-Up?

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Take each one for a test drive. About 10 miles or so. Buy the one you like best. Everybody you ask will have a different opinion. 

Many thanks for the really helpful input. Let me make a couple of points and then ask a few questions if I may.

I live up in Issan on the outskirts of Udon, so its a mixture of urban and rural (but not off road) driving, I go with my mates golfing and occassionaly GF and I take the family for a day out - a 2WD4 door Auto pick-up ticks the boxes. I am looking for top spec re leather, sat nav, rear camera, sound system and external "look good" accessories Your feedback has been really helpful and I am beginning to lean towards the Mazda BT50 - altho TGF hates its "look" (nb Ford Ranger waiting list too long).

What puts me off the Toyota, is that I understand a new model is out next year...is that true?

Anybody know when the Isuzu is due for replacement?

Has anybody owned or driven the Chevvy?

Is there a big difference in the depreciation between the big 2 (toyota/Isuzu and less popular makes)?

Thanks again :hello09:

Don't buy the Chevy.Canyon or Colorado or whatever it is.

Door handles will stop working and it will rattle in 2 years.

Wouldn't touch the Ranger either mate.I know you can afford what you really want so stick with Japanese.

Mazda or Toyota in any configuration.

And get on of those pop up rear tonneau covers to keep the clubs safe.Oh,it will keep the family dry as well.lol.

You are welcome. It looks a real beast! A big V8 block, I would guess.

Incidentally why do people  go for pick-ups in the LOS? I know it's mostly a rural country, but you see them everywhere, even owned by city-dwellers including ex-pats. You rarely see them in the UK.

I have never plucked up the courage to drive in Thailand. Too many aggressive drivers for my slowing reflexes, I'm sorry to say.

there is a couple of reasons why I prefer a pick up. First one is higher clearance, handy as after heavy rain a lot of roads can be flooded in Thailand thanks to the fantastic draining system they have here.

Second one is safety, they are stronger build, loading capacity is another one. I don't see why not to be honest, every time I get in a city car, I feel unsafe for some reason...

A pick up has the same comfort and does the same as a city car, and more...

SUV are another good alternative, big and strong, just as I like my cars and bikes...

A pick up has the same comfort and does the same as a city car, and more...

Just a pity they're such a pain to park anywhere, especially at Big C et al, plus the Sois around Pattaya Central were hardly made for big trucks.

In Isaan it's different, but here in town my Fortuner and Dmax were parked up most of the time in favour of the motorbike.

I bought a d/max 2 wheel drive,5 speed auto 2 months ago from Isuzu on 2nd road,has camera,nav,heaps of chrome bits,nudge bar etc etc.With taxs and insurance it was 934,000,early days yet but very impressed,unreal economy!

Incidentally why do people  go for pick-ups in the LOS? I know it's mostly a rural country, but you see them everywhere, even owned by city-dwellers including ex-pats. You rarely see them in the UK.

Most of these Picks ups are Made in Thailand and there's hardly any tax on them so a top of the range pick up is cheaper than a Honda civic .

Many thanks for the really helpful input. Let me make a couple of points and then ask a few questions if I may.

I live up in Issan on the outskirts of Udon, so its a mixture of urban and rural (but not off road) driving, I go with my mates golfing and occassionaly GF and I take the family for a day out - a 2WD4 door Auto pick-up ticks the boxes. I am looking for top spec re leather, sat nav, rear camera, sound system and external "look good" accessories Your feedback has been really helpful and I am beginning to lean towards the Mazda BT50 - altho TGF hates its "look" (nb Ford Ranger waiting list too long).

What puts me off the Toyota, is that I understand a new model is out next year...is that true?

Anybody know when the Isuzu is due for replacement?

Has anybody owned or driven the Chevvy?

Is there a big difference in the depreciation between the big 2 (toyota/Isuzu and less popular makes)?

Thanks again :hello09:

Yes, Toyota Fortuner and Pick Up is due to a major overhaule next year. I serach every week, but lately it hasent been much updates about that.

They say the new models will be relesed late this year.

They are developed in Australia.

Just search new 2014 Toyota Fortuner or Vigo Pick Up and you will get lot of info.

We had a Ford WT 3.2 on order for over a year. We just happened to see a 3.2 BT50 in a shopping mall the difference with

the service of the sales staff was remarkable. So we took it for a drive and instantly put down a deposit and canceled the

Ford and now regretting the wasted year with Ford. So my advice go the Mazda dealer they will look after you and give

the best deal .

I have never plucked up the courage to drive in Thailand. Too many aggressive drivers for my slowing reflexes, I'm sorry tyou can fit more people in a ute

I have never plucked up the courage to drive in Thailand. Too many aggressive drivers for my slowing reflexes, I'm sorry to say.

you can fit more people in a ute i don't think thai drivers are aggessive they just don't know road rules.

Here's some useful info I found a few months ago on another site and pasted into an earlier thread on pick ups in Thailand.

Micro trucks: DFM Truck 1.1L LPG - 289K DFM Truck 1.3L LPG - 339K TATA Ace 1.4L Diesel - 356K Suzuki Carry 1.6L Benzene - 396K

Pickups: Mitsu Triton 2.4L Benzene - 433K Mitsu Triton 2.5L Diesel - 495K TATA Xenon 2.2L Diesel - 499K Toyota Hilux 2.5L Diesel - 507K Nissan Navara 2.5L Diesel - 510K Isuzu D-Max Spark 2.5L Diesel - 513K

Out of that list, I would personally eliminate the Benzene Triton and the TATA off-hand - from there it becomes a question of what's most important to you, as each have their strengths.

Triton Diesel - nicest interior, 128HP engine is solid, tray a little smaller than others here. Hilux - weak engine (120HP) and aging, but huge dealer network (~400) and great residual value. Navara - strongest engine (144HP) and biggest tray, but thirstier than others here. D-Max - weakest engine (115HP) but best fuel economy. Newest design in this price range, huge dealer network, engine lasts forever.

If I was going to be hauling a full ton all the time, or spend the bulk of my driving in the mountains (but not doing huge KM's) it'd be the Navara.

If I was going to be travelling in the provinces regularly and minimizing down-time was my primary concern, it'd be the Hilux.

If I was going to do monster KM's, or ride quality was the primary criteria, it'd be the D-Max.

If I was looking for the best deal, and a general all-rounder, it'd be the Triton.

The Navara is a great truck at this price, but it's thirsty at ~13KM/L - which is why it lacks popularity with fleet buyers. The Isuzu will do 15-16KM/L (unladen), and the others all somewhere between these extremes.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Hi LW

The Isuzu is a new model as is the Chevy, Mazda & Ford all are running new power plants so not much history as yet, where as the Toyota, Nissan & Mitsubishi have been around for some years. The Isuzu & Chevy share many component parts as do the Mazda & Ford. Best dealerships in Isaan Toyota/Isuzu the rest are playing catch up.

Your lady will like the Isuzu, as Issan has been the heart of Isuzu territory in the past & seems to be bred into them.

• 1 month later...

I have a new 2.2 Ford Ranger wildtrak (mine) and a new 3.0 Toyota pick up (employer) and there is no comparison - the Ford is by far the best pick up on the market in Thailand at the moment. The Toyota seems like a tractor compared to the Ford.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2013 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.2 (2 wheel drive) and it is fantastic, like being in a really nice car. For work I use a 3.0 4wd Toyota pick up and it is industrial by comparison.

Having said that I may sell the Ford as I have only just done the 9 month first service and only covered 2500km lol

I have had my Isuzu for a couple of months...great vehicle, absolutely ecstatic about it.

Attached a few pics of the car blessing ceremony....only in Thailand :GoldenSmile1:

2013-09-15 11.19.25.jpg

2013-09-15 11.31.08.jpg

2013-09-06 15.01.53.jpg

2013-09-06 15.01.40.jpg

2013-09-06 15.02.34.jpg

I have a 2013 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.2 (2 wheel drive) and it is fantastic, like being in a really nice car. For work I use a 3.0 4wd Toyota pick up and it is industrial by comparison.

Having said that I may sell the Ford as I have only just done the 9 month first service and only covered 2500km lol

You should get a good price as I was told that there is still a waiting list

I have had my Isuzu for a couple of months...great vehicle, absolutely ecstatic about it.

Attached a few pics of the car blessing ceremony....only in Thailand :GoldenSmile1:

Nice ride.

Good to see you had it blessed.

Absolutely nothing can happen now.lol.

Nice ride.

Good to see you had it blessed.

Absolutely nothing can happen now.lol.

I am now 100% bullet-proof :LOL2:

Bought a new Isuzu D-max 7+ years ago 3 litre engine 4 door cab 2wd cost then just under £10k.Has nearly 300,000 on the clock and still hardly any problems with it.If I was buying now it would likely be another so I think you made a good choice.

Bought a new Isuzu D-max 7+ years ago 3 litre engine 4 door cab 2wd cost then just under £10k.Has nearly 300,000 on the clock and still hardly any problems with it.If I was buying now it would likely be another so I think you made a good choice.

Thanks mate...it is a really solid vehicle and comfy too. I hope mine lasts as well as yours has :ThumbUp6:

Archived