IGNORED

Dual SIMM vs Single SIMM cell phone

pacastew

I am shopping for unlocked phones in the US and see that some phones use multiple SIMMs

Should I stick to a single SIMM phone?

I use a dual sim phone, have works sim and cheap calls to Thailand sim, both sims are active (no need to switch and you can deactivate 1 or both) and you can specify each one to which is default for phone calls, text and data, saves carrying 2 phones.

I stick to single sim phones normally mainly because I like to have a top of the range phone and these are all single sim in the UK. If you arent bothered by having the latest phone and are happy with a middle level phone then dual sim can work well, I have used them in the past when I wanted to keep seperate numbers for work and personal use and never had any problems.

I have a Nokia duel SIM phone which I picked up in Bangkok for about 1000 baht.

I keep one SIM for my normal contacts and use the other for ladies.  Any problems I can just throw the second SIM away.

Both SIMs are different providers (True and AIS) as in some places you get a signal on one network and not the other.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

Dual SIM phones are handy but not essential.  If you choose to use 2 Thai SIMs for farangs on one SIM and locals on the other, then this may be okay.  If you plan to use a US SIM and a local then the costs of receiving US calls on your US SIM may be huge whilst you are outside of the US.

There are other options if you wish to use your main Android or Iphone in Thailand and wish to collect local numbers.  For jailbroken Iphones there is a App (via Cydia) called IBlacklist which is a call blocker and SMS blocking program.  It maintains separate address books and call/SMS logs that are hidden behind a password incoded icon or your choice.  I am certain Android has a similar App, if not multiple Apps that perform the same function.

I have used IBlacklist on 3 Iphones over 5 years in Thailand and have never had any problems or unexpected contacts.  It works seemlessly. 

if you are in America you can install a google voice number in your android, and have 2 numbers on the same phone, btw google voice # is free, calls to canada,PR, and the whole usa are free,  I have an unlocked android phone, and when I take to Thailand I just swap the SIM card,  calling America is free using wifi/3G.

:Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1:

I keep one SIM for my normal contacts and use the other for ladies.  Any problems I can just throw the second SIM away.

A wise plan. 

Yezz... Thai prepayed SIM-card numbers have a tendency to be "used" can be comfortable with a new, unused number next trip... Maybe good with a dual phone...

Have to admit, many times I have by the new SIM-card to next trip, on my way back home before leave LOS...  :LOL2: 

Don't ask what the Thai girl can do for you!

Ask yourself what you can do for the Thai girl! 

(Sent from my ashole, using crapatalk…)

On most phones with dual sim, both sims can be active at the same time in stand by.    But not all are like this. So maybe best to check it ?
The official and new ones are most of the time ok in this way.

My dual sim phone cuts off the other sim while using one sim.
So if you make a 1 hour call,  the other sim is not usable in that time and will not receive calls either.

Hope this is any help to the OP.

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

• 3 weeks later...

Either way. I use one of each.  Dual sim is quite handy for travel.  To me the problem with swapping out sims, is that they are easy to lose that way, esp. the micro sims.

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned,

Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."

"The Mourning Bride", William Congreve, 1697

Archived