Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

dual-sim phone, sim card etc

Phone related questions obviously

Some guidance would be great please if anyone knows the answers

Mate said best to get a sim from airport. Told its 600b for a month unlimited.

Anyone know if this is correct and if it includes net access. If not thats the kind of thing if after. Also can the number be kept active as i would like to have it for next year as well and dont have to get a new number

Also want to buy a dual-sim smart phone. Can get something in oz for 3000b but will go to 6000b for something with a reasonable camera. That way i can use FB, PA etc and google translate

I have an iPhone 5 and took it last time as a camera and tablet but didnt bother with phone. Got several numbers from last trip and want to be able to contact then easier

Ive heard of the iPhone copies with dual-sim but seen mixed reports

1) an unlocked phone from oz will work with thai sim (might buy here)

2) whats a cheap dual-sim smart phone i could buy there (tukcom?)

3) what company could/should i get a sim card from

La La Land Bar & Sky Bar Soi 6 Pattaya

I'v got a iPhone 5 copy (Hero 2000+), they are around b5000, dual sim, dual core processor, 4 gig rom, built in 2gig memory, 32gig memory card, android 4.

I got mine from china buy post but there are a lot of low spec copies about so you have to do your homework before buying.

Be careful what you buy in tukcom they have good dual sim phones and bad ones.

DTAC Happy Tourist , many people seem to be happy with this :    http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/products/ShortStayVisitors.html    ;    299 baht, 100 baht call value and 1 week unlimited internet included.
Can keep the card valid long time. Turn roaming on and use the USSD code to buy validity. 

• Validity extension :    Rates: 2 baht/30 day request, 6 baht/90 day, 12 baht/180 day. User will receive a confirmation SMS. Must have activated SIM for at least 90 days continuously, or have a total usage balance of over 200 baht. Account must not be suspended, and must have at least 1 day before it expires. Remaining credit may not be less than 10 baht after use. Account validity may not exceed 365 days.
      - Press : *113*[number of days 30/90/180]*9#imgPhone.gif Example: *113*180*9# imgPhone.gif for  180 day extension.
  • http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html

Whatever phone you buy, consider AIS 3G is on 900 Mhz and it seems just now also on 2100 Mhz.
DTAC 3G is on 850 MHZ,      2100 Mhz to be rolled out in a month or so.   

Internet options for the rest of your travel :    http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

Watch the speed , sometimes limited to 384 kbps.            And don't forget : 8Mbit per second is actually about 1 MegaBYTE per second. So you kind of need the speed.

At 384 kbps, a 2 MB website takes about 41 seconds to load if all goes well.

Dual phones :   Try NOKIA... rather good and cheap in Europe. Here, dual sim phones are often low end things, so most often not a really good cam. Never comparable to Iphone camera. There : don't know.

Probably your mate is using an other deal...  just think this one is a good one too.

Also international text for 5 baht is standard. Most other tariff plans charge more.

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

I'v got a iPhone 5 copy (Hero 2000+), they are around b5000, dual sim, dual core processor, 4 gig rom, built in 2gig memory, 32gig memory card, android 4.

I got mine from china buy post but there are a lot of low spec copies about so you have to do your homework before buying.

Be careful what you buy in tukcom they have good dual sim phones and bad ones.

Im guessing they're available on ebay?

Yeah, wanted to know of a couple before i go tukcom

DTAC Happy Tourist , many people seem to be happy with this :    http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/products/ShortStayVisitors.html    ;    299 baht, 100 baht call value and 1 week unlimited internet included.

Can keep the card valid long time. Turn roaming on and use the USSD code to buy validity. 

• Validity extension :    Rates: 2 baht/30 day request, 6 baht/90 day, 12 baht/180 day. User will receive a confirmation SMS. Must have activated SIM for at least 90 days continuously, or have a total usage balance of over 200 baht. Account must not be suspended, and must have at least 1 day before it expires. Remaining credit may not be less than 10 baht after use. Account validity may not exceed 365 days.
      - Press : *113*[number of days 30/90/180]*9#imgPhone.gif Example: *113*180*9# imgPhone.gif for  180 day extension.

Whatever phone you buy, consider AIS 3G is on 900 Mhz and it seems just now also on 2100 Mhz.

DTAC 3G is on 850 MHZ,      2100 Mhz to be rolled out in a month or so.   

Internet options for the rest of your travel :    http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html

Watch the speed , sometimes limited to 384 kbps.            And don't forget : 8Mbit per second is actually about 1 MegaBYTE per second. So you kind of need the speed.

At 384 kbps, a 2 MB website takes about 41 seconds to load if all goes well.

Dual phones :   Try NOKIA... rather good and cheap in Europe. Here, dual sim phones are often low end things, so most often not a really good cam. Never comparable to Iphone camera. There : don't know.

Probably your mate is using an other deal...  just think this one is a good

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html

Also international text for 5 baht is standard. Most other tariff plans charge more.

Holy shit batman

thanks - i just need 3 days for all that to sink in :D

You can never take back ......
  • A moment after it's missed
  • A word after it's said
  • Time after it's been wasted

I saw before that some of these couldn't register on European networks (not allowed / blocked)  just because of fraude or poor engineering etc etc.

The phones thus were useless to the owner and could just be thrown away.
   I would advice to be very careful when buying a phone on the internet , from China, no top brand..  Even a top brand for a crazy price : if it looks unbelievable, it is often just not true. Sometimes can see top specs and even more top price but in real life, just crap in a box.
People in China are not fund of these unknown brands and buy the Western ones too just because of the higher quality (and image of course too).

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

I have a clone dual sim Galaxy that is dual sim but if you want to use the camera in it you lose a sim option to put in the sd card. Cost me 2800 baht at Tukcom last feb.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

I have a clone dual sim Galaxy that is dual sim but if you want to use the camera in it you lose a sim option to put in the sd card. Cost me 2800 baht at Tukcom last feb.

what's it like to use?

Mostly worried about camera quality and net use for google translate

i can live without the use of 2nd sim and camera together while im there

Pic? :D

I have the Samsung Galaxy Grande. 

Duos means to sim cards.

Good mobile 5 inch screen.

1.4 MZH.

10,000 BAHT.

3G only.

what's it like to use?

Mostly worried about camera quality and net use for google translate

i can live without the use of 2nd sim and camera together while im there

Pic? :D

Too high tech for me I went back to my old nokia.But I will take it next week and test it out. very power hungry though.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

• 1 month later...

Too high tech for me I went back to my old nokia.But I will take it next week and test it out. very power hungry though.

If it's old, you might want to replace the battery.  They lose the capacity to hold a charge.

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned,

Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."

"The Mourning Bride", William Congreve, 1697

I have an iPhone 5 and took it last time as a camera and tablet but didnt bother with phone. Got several numbers from last trip and want to be able to contact then easier

Just get your iPhone 5 unlocked - either by carrier or third party (NOT via jailbreaking!!), and then just use a local SIM.

Problem solved.

(Get a good case to protect it)

i ended up getting an iPhone 5 copy for $165

looks like a 5 but has android 4.1 with good camera and dual sim

also works as hot spot so alls good

been playing with it and seems pretty good actually

have my second number in it and will just pick up a thai sim at the airport now

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest this I-mobile IQ5.1 I paid 6500Thb at Tuk Com with free Micro SD 8GB and 3G SIM Card ...

i-mobile_iq5.1.jpg

Operating system: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Processor : Qualcomm 8225Q Quad Core
- CPU Speed : 1.2 GHz
Memory
- ROM 4GB
- RAM 1GB
Memory card microSD - Maximum 32 GB

the one i got seems to be its brother but looks like an iPhone 5

$165aud - 5000baht

actually, your sim and SD would of been about 600baht each so prices aren't that much different

i just wanted to get a new phone sorted before i get there

i likes this because of 2 sims, 2 batteries, 8mp camera, takes SD card and hot spot

w005-b-01.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unlocked-W005-4-HD-Screen-Black-1GHz-CPU-Android-4-1-3G-Dual-SIM-Mobile-Phone-/111122253559?pt=AU_Mobile_Phones&hash=item19df6706f7

Archived