IGNORED

Good place for lobster?

Much to my shame I have never eaten lobster. Its now on my bucket list, so wondered if there was a good place to get it in Patts. Doesnt have to be fancy, just reasonably priced - you never know , I might hate it! :Puke2:

If anyone knows of a good place to eat lobster I'd appreciate the recommendation

Thanks

LP

Unfortunatly the lobsters in Thailand are not that good, you will almost certainly be disappointed, as they are not true lobsters. For a real taste of proper lobster. Try a native one in the uk, expensive I know, but a taste experience, you will not forget.

Most seafood in patts is low quality compared to what you can get n uk

The seafood market in Naklua have lobsters and there is a place right there that will cook it for you. I don't remember how much I paid but it was expensive. Pretty tasty though.

I'm sorry, but to say seafood is not good in Thailand is crazy. It's different, but it's good--many top chefs would agree.

I love dungeness crab from the west coast of the US, but I love the swimming blue crabs here.

Shrimp, grouper, sea bass, squid, scallops, I could go on and on what is good here in Thailand.

The large prawns barbecued are just as good as lobster served locally.  Better to save the money and spend it on the main mission.

Are there any good places in pattaya for a good feed of prawns,  or king prawns. Thanks.

King Seafood on Walking Street is very good. It is seriously expensive, but good enough to get a mention in gastronomic guides to Thailand as the "other" reason to come to Pattaya. That said, I have never tried the lobster there - I think that lobster is over-priced and over-rated the world over. I have, however, had several very good meals there and I would expect it's lobster to be as good as any you will get in Thailand.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

Thanks for the help gents, a couple of things to consider for my trip. 

Brunos do imported canadian lobster :GoldenSmile1:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Vientiane Restaurant on Pattaya Tai, i think soi 1 or 2.

Hands down the best seafood and the cheapest.

Huge menu, huge place as well

Vientiane Restaurant on Pattaya Tai, i think soi 1 or 2.

Hands down the best seafood and the cheapest.

Huge menu, huge place as well

Thanks FTS, i will try Vientiane Restaurant when i am in pattaya in august

• 3 weeks later...

King Seafood on Walking Street is very good. It is seriously expensive, but good enough to get a mention in gastronomic guides to Thailand as the "other" reason to come to Pattaya. That said, I have never tried the lobster there - I think that lobster is over-priced and over-rated the world over. I have, however, had several very good meals there and I would expect it's lobster to be as good as any you will get in Thailand.

I know this thread is old, but I just had to throw in my 2 cents on this one.  

I ate at King Seafood this past Feb and thought it was pretty bad.  I had a lobster.  I knew what to expect with the spiny/rock lobster type of meat, but the preparation was just horrible.  There was some type of thick goop over it that resembled cheddar cheese and it was tough/dry.  We also had some type of steamed fish dish that was decent, fried rice, a round of drinks, and tiramisu and coffee, but it was way overpriced.  I think it was around $140. USD for 3 people, and I'm the only one who ordered a lobster.  I only ate two bites and gave up.  It was worth it though to watch two Thai people try to eat a lobster for the first time.  One had half of it in her hand wondering if she should bite into the shell.  

I may be a bit spoiled though living in the northeast USA.  Maine lobster is the end-all variant.  

Hey little evil you are spoiled if you're used to eating Maine lobster (the best in my opinion).  I think what you had was the chefs version of Lobster Thermidor and it can be hit or miss in LoS. I stick to melted butter with mine and it's usually decent for rock lobster. Compared to what I pay in the UK it's normally a good deal though. I will give it a go when I get to Patts and hope for the best. 

The large prawns barbecued are just as good as lobster served locally.  Better to save the money and spend it on the main mission.

What he said...............

Hey little evil you are spoiled if you're used to eating Maine lobster (the best in my opinion).  I think what you had was the chefs version of Lobster Thermidor and it can be hit or miss in LoS. I stick to melted butter with mine and it's usually decent for rock lobster. Compared to what I pay in the UK it's normally a good deal though. I will give it a go when I get to Patts and hope for the best. 

I never would have guessed Thermidor, as I've only had that once before and it actually had the right type of cheese.  Good call.  The weird part is that I don't recall ordering it that way.  I thought it was just going to be steamed with butter.  

I never would have guessed Thermidor, as I've only had that once before and it actually had the right type of cheese.  Good call.  The weird part is that I don't recall ordering it that way.  I thought it was just going to be steamed with butter.  

Yeah I've had Thermidor in LoS twice...once in a supposedly good restaurant which was terrible and one at a food court type of place which was really good - hit or miss like anywhere I suppose. I figure you can't go too wrong with steamed and butter! 

I have been to Tankay in Walking Street (next to silver star 3 Gogo.

Expensive but the food was very good.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

I had wondered about maine lobster in Thailand. My family is in the seafood business and the thought of exporting USA/Canadian seafood to Thailand did cross my mind. (so that i could retire and live in thailand) but i didnt have the chance to go to the restaurants to try the local cusine.

I didn remember a restaurant on near the entrance on walking st that was selling spiney lobster for 200 bth for 100 g ( converts to 1000 bth a lb roughly) I think they were dead and on ice.

seems a bit high and i could prob supply American/Canadian lobster for much less.

but if the cooking is crap then it would make the end product bad too.

Next time i think i will approach them and see if there is any interest in importing some of our lobsters.

I ate at King Seafood this past Feb and thought it was pretty bad.  I had a lobster.  I knew what to expect with the spiny/rock lobster type of meat, but the preparation was just horrible.  

I have never had the lobster at King.  It is very much a Thai seafood restaurant, and lobster really isn't a Thai dish - so they may well not be great at it.  Generally, though, King does have a very good reputation.  I have been there a number of times (last time was about a year ago) - and always had an outstanding experience.  That said, not only have I never tried the lobster there I never will.  I think that generally lobster is rarely worth the price and you can get so many great local things to eat in Thailand I stick with that.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

Archived