IGNORED

Mobile Phones

Curious question.  How does the mobile phone services work in Thailand?  I have been to the Philippines several times and have an unlocked cell phone.  What type of sim cards are needed?  Do they use Smart or Globe like in PI?

Walk in to 7/11 buy a prepaid Happy DTAC sim and some credit and off you go. Not sure what type of network they use, but I take my Samsung 3G phone and the Thai sim works fine in it.

Thanks guys, i wont need it right away....dont have any contacts.....yet!!! I am sure I will once I get started, both girls and hopefully a few new BM friends

I purchased a cheap nokia when I arrived, 670 baht with sim card. When it gets stolen, I will not be out much!

Globe and Smart are names of operators in Philipines.  They are not available in Thailand of course unless you would use the Phi simcard in roaming. Strongly advice you to not do so.
Most common operators in Thailand are AIS, DTAC, and TRUE.

If you don't want internet on your phone, AIS one2call or DTAC would be a good choice.
Or like Tiger said. Buy the DTAC Happy sim.. it's the simplest no-worry- solution.

This forum has a section for all your questions about mobile phones, sim cards etc.  
Click this :                      http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/forum/81-mobile-phones-thai-sim-cards-calling-issues/

Hope this was helpful to you.

Have a good trip !

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

Globe and Smart are names of operators in Philipines.  They are not available in Thailand of course unless you would use the Phi simcard in roaming. Strongly advice you to not do so.

Most common operators in Thailand are AIS, DTAC, and TRUE.

If you don't want internet on your phone, AIS one2call or DTAC would be a good choice.

Or like Tiger said. Buy the DTAC Happy sim.. it's the simplest no-worry- solution.

This forum has a section for all your questions about mobile phones, sim cards etc.  

Click this :                      http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/forum/81-mobile-phones-thai-sim-cards-calling-issues/

Hope this was helpful to you.

Have a good trip !

Thanks for the help.  I have a Samsunf Duos phone.  Dual sims.  One will for PI and one for Thailand.

Archived