Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Phone question

I bought a cheap ass phone as soon as I got to Pattaya. I loaded it with 60 minutes a few days before I left. Trip was last March. Anyway prolly have like 40 minutes left. Do the minutes expire after a period of time or should I be good to go when I turn it on in Thailand 2 weeks from now. Thanks.

Which company i the SIM from?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

It is AIS

When you open your phonebook there is a entry where you call and check your balance.

This will give you the balance and expirey date.

Your balance may show you have credit but I'm sure your time has elapsed.

Usually the credit lasts for a month and then the SIM expires a month after that. However, the government authority responsible for this has been pushing for longer periods and I think things are moving. I have heard about some company (can't remember which) that was starting to take some credit every month after the first month to keep the credit and SIM active. Basically what I am saying is that people's experiences in the past may not be valid now. I think the worse case scenario is that the credit is expired but the SIM still active. You can buy credit at the airport.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

with dtac happy sim you can extend the sim by sending a text,costs 2baht per month to do.think its 60 90 or 180 days.thers a thread on here with codes etc for different networks and good info

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

Well, more than a year is a long time.  Typically what happens is that the 'time' expires after x months, but the balance that you have doesn't go away.  So assuming the SIM itself doesn't expire (after a year... maybe) then all you need to do is add a little bit of credit, which will extend the validity and also give you any remaining credit.

We're talking complete peanuts though.. SIM cards are basically handed out for free, and calling credit isn't expensive either.  

This whole discussion is about the price of a beer.

Several days and counting.

Well, more than a year is a long time. 

I originally thought that is what he meant but I think he means March this year. If it was March last year it would definitely be toast.

Thanks for the replies guys. It was just this last March, so 2 months ago.

Not to sound like a cheap ass, but I wanted to use the phone as soon as I touched down to call a honey and check on Mr.T. Only reason I was wondering. Worse case I grab one in the airport. Thanks again.

Turn your phone on in your own country.

Try to search networks using the thai sim. Try to connect to one.

Dial *121# just like you want to make a call to this number. Press dial/call.

If you connected to a network, it means you have roaming on. The code will show you the validity

of your sim.

Check my post in this chapter about useful codes for ais / dtac and true.

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

Turn your phone on in your own country.

Try to search networks using the thai sim. Try to connect to one.

Dial *121# just like you want to make a call to this number. Press dial/call.

If you connected to a network, it means you have roaming on. The code will show you the validity

of your sim.

Check my post in this chapter about useful codes for ais / dtac and true.

Thanks bro, huge help.

Thanks.  

I'm curious : did it work. Were you able to connect to a network in US.    Would like to know if the roaming function was switched on.

If not , you could try to ask AIS to switch roaming on. Either do it yourself or try to get someone to do it for you in Thailand (i'm there in a few weeks).

Once you see your call value and validity, you can find websites (or i can find them for you) where you can reload a sim.
 After reloading (that's a general idea - not specific for Thailand), the validity of your simcard and the call value will go up.

The code like i gave you is a USSD code which can be used free of cost in any country where you would be. It's not considered as a call or a text message.

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

Thanks.  

I'm curious : did it work. Were you able to connect to a network in US.    Would like to know if the roaming function was switched on.

If not , you could try to ask AIS to switch roaming on. Either do it yourself or try to get someone to do it for you in Thailand (i'm there in a few weeks).

Once you see your call value and validity, you can find websites (or i can find them for you) where you can reload a sim.

After reloading (that's a general idea - not specific for Thailand), the validity of your simcard and the call value will go up.

The code like i gave you is a USSD code which can be used free of cost in any country where you would be. It's not considered as a call or a text message.

No, I was not able to connect here in the US. Tried scanning and could not connect. Guess I will just have to wait until I get there. Appreciate that anyway man.

http://www.ais.co.th/callcenter/en/call_center.html

You can see ICJ (can chat with them there) but i can not read Thai..  Window opens in English though.
On top you can also see MAIL... Try sending them a mail maybe ?

The thing you need to ask them is to switch your Roaming   ON
Then you will be able to help yourself (duhhhh ?) using the above advice in the first post.

Hope it works out for you. 

http://www.ais.co.th/callcenter/en/call_center.html

You can see ICJ (can chat with them there) but i can not read Thai..  Window opens in English though.

On top you can also see MAIL... Try sending them a mail maybe ?

The thing you need to ask them is to switch your Roaming   ON

Then you will be able to help yourself (duhhhh ?) using the above advice in the first post.

Hope it works out for you. 

Thanks bro. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Archived