IGNORED

MacBook Pro help and advice needed..

commandod999

I have a 13 inch Macbook Pro, summer 2009 model.

Being nearly 4 years old its quite sluggish now, I done a bit of research and checked the RAM and its in serious need of new RAM, at the moment it has 2GBs in total (2 slots with 1GB in each slot). I looked in system utilities, it has 4mb free, and has done over 9GB of 'page outs' meaning when the RAM couldn't take anymore, it has dumped it on the hard drive.

Should I bother upgrading the RAM, ie will it make a big difference, or should I take the plunge and buy a new macbook. I also heard that swapping the hard drive to a solid state drive speeds things up as well. Where would I go about buying RAM and a SSD in patts, and how much would it likely cost me.

A new Macbook pro is going to cost me over £1000. I mainly use it for internet, downloading things, and the occasional bit of work, microsoft excel, word etc... I use microsoft because I seem to have compatibility issues when sending files to other people if I use the iWork products.

I've also been thinking about getting an iPad, I think if i had an ipad I would use my macbook less, but then I cant have microsoft programmes on an ipad, and cant print from an ipad, etc, so I dont think it could replace my laptop.

Any help and/or advice is much appreciated... thanks!

... yesterday, I bought a second-hand MacBook Pro 13" here in BKK for my daughter ... I am an old DOS guy, so got guidance from a guy who is truly a Mac expert and a 100% Mac guy since Jobs was in kindergarden ... he advised me on what was necessary to bring the machine to highest performance potential.

... he wrote: "For doing 3D modeling, she's going to need lots of RAM. Do *not* buy RAM from Apple, as they charge way too much for it. Upgrading to 8GB (US prices) costs $200 from Apple, $76 from OWC (and they sell 16GB for $150)."

... I couldn't advise you on what you might do to improve performance, but if someone who does know what they are doing recommends more RAM, my buddy seldom misses technical marks ... he is one of "those Apple disciples" who really know this stuff.

... he did tell me that if my daughter will run Microsoft stuff, to install Parallels, which allows you to quickly boot-up directly into the MS program, circumventing the Apple OS boot-up cycle, which apparently slows things.

... he also said Macs are generally reliable for 4-5 years, whereas most PC brands have a reliable life cycle of 2-3 years ... he replaces his because they are simply unable to accommodate the greater processing demands of the more sophisticated, newer programs, not because they are breaking down.

.. yours might have another year, or more, of reliable service if you can solve it's slow speed ... you do not appear to be running the particularly intensive graphics programs for which these machines are developed.

... as a recent market data point, I bought a flawless condition, 14-month old, totally tricked-out MacBook Pro 13" for THB 24,000 ... new battery, 8MB, 750GB, 2.4GHz ... you would not know this did not come right off the shelf ... I think a great value for 3+ years of reliable service.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

For what you are using it for I definitely would not recommend replacing the laptop, it sounds like it just needs a little 'housekeeping' and some more RAM.  An SSD is not going to significantly increase the performance of your hard drive for what you say you are using it for so I wouldn't bother going that route.

RAM is pretty cheap and is very very easy to replace the old sticks, I'm unsure of the cost in Thailand but in the uk you'd get a decent amount of RAM for an upgrade for maybe £30-40, if you do this it is important you get the right type of RAM for your model to get the best compatibility/performance out of it. (Many web-stores will have an option to scan your system and pick compatible RAM options).

Unlike my windows machine I've never filled the hard drive on my Macbook so I'm unsure whether they handle that as badly as Windows systems do or whether defragmentation is necessary, it wouldn't hurt to make sure you keep at a minimum at least 2GB free space on your hard drive anyway.

Something else to think about is (from memory I think) the 2009 is the Solid aluminium case which is supposed to work as a giant heat-sink to keep the system cool, depending on the temperature of your room your performance might improve by buying a cheap laptop cooling board to sit it on (basically a stand with some fans in).  Also make sure your exhaust fans at the back of the laptop are clear of dust and lint.

Operating system upgrades for the Mac are pretty cheap and you might get some additional performance going that route also. (Upgrades do not require a fresh install).

more ram= more memory =speed :) ssd faster boot up of operating system and software ! i think :) maybe buy from tukcom ?

... he did tell me that if my daughter will run Microsoft stuff, to install Parallels, which allows you to quickly boot-up directly into the MS program, circumventing the Apple OS boot-up cycle, which apparently slows things.

I think he was referring to Microsoft Office application for the Apple OS.  If he meant Windows based programs I wouldn't bother with Parallels, the Apple OS has a built in system called boot camp if you want to boot into a windows environment and if you want to use the 'parallel' virtual machine part then Sun Micro's do a very good free version called VirtualBox.

Yeh I just mean the Microsoft office application just so I can use word and excel.

Some great help there, where did you buy the used macbook from? I might look at that as an option, either that or just try upgrade the RAM. As you said I don't use it for whats it's really designed for, but I cant bring myself to use another laptop with a different OS. 90% of what I use it for is surfing the internet and emails. However, is it was faster I might use it for more, at the moment Im put off just opening applications because it takes so long.

Does anyone know what type of RAM I would need, and I take it Tucom is the best place?

It is the solid aluminium case one, Macbook pro Summer 2009, 13 inch, 2.26GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo.

I bought my RAM upgrade from http://www.crucial.com after a few recommendations from friends. Even if you don't buy from them you can use their scanner to detect what type you should be buying.

Honestly for Internet browsing/downloading and ms office you shouldn't need a new laptop (unless you want to treat yourself of course), at the very worst case scenario I'd back up you personal data and format and reinstall the OS and programs but I wouldn't see it getting to that.

I looked at the crucial website and the only RAM it came up with was Crucial brand stuff, but they don't deliver to thailand. So unless I can buy Crucial brand stuff in thailand I need to find what other RAM will work.. 

Id crank up the memory and get a solid state drive.

I looked at the crucial website and the only RAM it came up with was Crucial brand stuff, but they don't deliver to thailand. So unless I can buy Crucial brand stuff in thailand I need to find what other RAM will work..

Right but apart from the brand it will also tell you the specific type of RAM you need to fit the socket on your board etc. You could then pick up the same type in a brand available locally.

Edit: I should also add you should be careful before any decision to upgrade to an SSD, you need to check what connection is available on your motherboard and what bus data speed it allows as this will likely be a bottleneck to performance gains. Again I don't see it being necessary if the only time you are having a problem is slow to open office.

• Update your OS 
  • Get 2+2 GB RAM
  • Get a 128 GB SSD

It will fly like a rocket..

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

This MacBook maxes out at 8gb RAM... That's 2 sticks of 4gb each. You want: pc8500 ddr3 1066mhz so-dimm 204 pin 4gb, qty. 2. http://www.frys.com/product/6391441 . You'll toss your old 2 sticks of 1gb RAM in the trash. You should be able to snag a pair of 4gb sticks at TukCom for 2000-2500 baht. Maybe another 100 baht to install 'em. Try the RAM first before buying an SSD. I think you'll probably be fine with just the RAM upgrade.

Thanks for the help, some really useful info there.

Hellbender what do you mean by update OS? (sorry if its a stupid question)

It's not just slow opening office, its slow doing everything, I will try the RAM, see how it goes, and then think about the SSD. But as Phats said about the motherboard being a bottle neck I did read that somewhere today while looking around for ideas to speed my Mac up.

Much like Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8), Apple's operating system releases new updates, these are relatively inexpensive compared to their windows counterparts.  They have a version number but are commonly known by their wildcat names, I believe you will be on Leopard or Snow Leopard, I've lost track which is the latest version as I haven't upgraded for a while.

I thought it was, Ive got Mountain Lion which i think is the latest one, OSX 10.8.3.

Checked out what your machine can take on Apple's system and you can take upwards of 8GB - put in the MAX RAM possible. OSX is a different beast when you feed it 8GB or more; it's incredibly snappy and efficient. 4GB is still far slower and 2GB, well, you might as well hobble it. 

If you can also put in an SSD , more power to you but that only helps with loading/unloading apps and data or booting - you're get more actual performance out of more RAM. 

Thanks for the advice, I'll be shopping for more RAM then and hopefully should speed things up.

• 5 months later...

I just brought home the new MacBook Pro with Retina 15" today.  I have had a MacBook for over 7 years (13")  I bought more RAM and it helped but this machine goes like lightning.  I have over 21,000 photos stored on the computer.  (Took 36 hours for the techs at the Apple store to transfer everything).  I have my videos on an external hard drive.  Got the Airpot Time Capsule but the non Apple products here at home don't work at the max speed.  Looking into running 2 different routers.

Display_1.jpg

Good info but where in Pattaya can you buy this ram?

Someone said Tukcom. Can anyone recommend a store in tukcom?

I want to upgrade my macbook pro with max ram and SSD and was thinking of buying crucial and getting it couriered over but if someone can suggest a store in Pattaya i will use them instead.

Bealo - best way to approach shopping for RAM at TukCom is to first find out what is a good price for the RAM you want. I don't think you'll get a better price in Thailand than you would with a good US discounter. Check prices on NewEgg.com or even EBay buy it now.

Then take your MacBook with you to TukCom. Wander around and negotiate prices with a few sellers. When you've found a good deal on what you want, put the RAM in the computer while you're at the seller's stall (or have them do it.) Then test your computer for 20 min. or so while you're still with the seller. If you want, you may be able to negotiate a trade in on your old RAM. Probably won't get more than 500 baht.

FWIW, I just upgraded a MAC Mini to 8gb and it cost $55 USD.

I upgraded the RAM on my laptop for 5,000 from 2gb to 8gb, not exactly cheap but it speeded things up a bit, spilled whiskey on my laptop 2 days later completely ruining it, so bought the new macbook air anyway. Much cheaper then they are in UK.

Bealo - best way to approach shopping for RAM at TukCom is to first find out what is a good price for the RAM you want. I don't think you'll get a better price in Thailand than you would with a good US discounter. Check prices on NewEgg.com or even EBay buy it now.

Then take your MacBook with you to TukCom. Wander around and negotiate prices with a few sellers. When you've found a good deal on what you want, put the RAM in the computer while you're at the seller's stall (or have them do it.) Then test your computer for 20 min. or so while you're still with the seller. If you want, you may be able to negotiate a trade in on your old RAM. Probably won't get more than 500 baht.

FWIW, I just upgraded a MAC Mini to 8gb and it cost $55 USD.

Many thanks for a good idea. I'll venture down and see what i can find.

Archived