IGNORED

Pattaya to Angeles City - Round-Trip / Return Ticket Required

This is a PSA for those who might not know, but I made the mistake of booking a one-way airfare from BKK-Airport to Clark and was told at the check-in counter that I must purchase a return flight in order to not have a problem with Immigration at a Philippines airport.

I thought I'd leave it open in case I wanted to explore Boracay, Cebu, etc. so didn't purchase the return flight.   At the counter, I purchased a return from Manila three days later.  I've decided to extend my stay here in AC through Saturday.  I had to pay a penalty fee of  3414 Pesos fee to change my flight and airport, even for a less expensive ticket.  All around, this error cost me about $175 USD vs. a simple RT booking from BKK-Clark.

Anyway, even if this reaches the less than 1% who are unaware, if a foreigner travels into the Philippines, s/he must have a return ticket and this must be presented to Immigration at the PI airport.

Perhaps some of the more senior members can elaborate on this PI immigration policy.

I'm having a blast in AC and will file a detailed report in the near future.

That applies to many countries, even bringing my GF in from PI to LOS required a return ticket, Philippines Airlines allows a change for a cost of B1000 if she decides to stay. The host government is required to provide transport home if you violate immigration rules so they prefer it be on your dime not theirs.

Thanks for the heads up, I always try to ask or check in advance. But this info is important...Cheers

One note though, it does look as though you are looking for a return ticket in the thread title though,so perhaps the info may slip under the radar?

No offence meant and thanks again  :GoldenSmile1:

Airlines do not require a return ticket back to the original departure location, but do require proof of outbound travel from the Phils on the date of, or prior to, the expiration of your initial visa. It's really an immigration regulation but they make the airlines the enforcer of the immigration policy.

Having traveled out of USA a couple of years ago to Manila on Philippine Airlines, I learned of this requirement only a week or so prior to that trip. I had booked online a 1-way ticket to Manila from the Philippine Airline internet site with no red flags about the requirement. A couple of days later I read about the ticket out requirement on the PA sister Philippine site. I had not intended a return to the states, or a Phils departure at all for that matter, as my original plan was to obtain extensions of the visa and hang around the Phils for awhile.

I searched around on the net to see what might be available at a cheap cost that would meet the requirement, yet could be a throw away ticket if I decided not to travel and rather stay and extend my visa. Found a flight from Manila to Kuala Lampur, Malaysia for around $28 usd on Cebu Pacific. Purchased the ticket online and made a copy of the reservation info.

Sure enough, as leaving the USA when presenting my one-way ticket to the Philippines to the airline ticket agent, he stated you will need to purchase a return ticket or you will be unable to board this flight. I told him I was traveling on to Kuala Lampur and provided my copy of the Cebu Pacific reservation. He took the reservation copy I provided and was gone about 10 minutes. I can only assume it was to make a copy and perhaps check on and verify by computer the information concerning the Cebu Pacific ticketing. Anyway, upon his return I was issued a boarding pass.

Immigration and therefore airlines, are mainly concerned that your on your way at the end of your visa stay in the Philippines. Hence this requirement.

It's not about what you got.. It's all about what you can still get!

.............................. even if this reaches the less than 1% who are unaware....................................

Going by how often there's one of them arguing in front of us in the check-in line, it seems like a higher % than 1.

Got to wonder why the airlines don't flag it for anyone booking one way, but maybe they do?

This happened to me in December.

Was going to Clark's from HK with Phill Air and on check in at HK they noticed I had no return ticket with them.

Told me the same story about return ticket was needed for emigration and so on.

By this time my bag with my return ticket with Air Asia was on the conveyor belt making its way to baggage.

A bit of arguing that my return ticket with another airline was in my bag enssued but they eventually let me on...

I got the impression they were hankering for me to buy another ticket from Air Phil.

Ironically I got the return ticket from my bag at Clark and the guys on the passport desk didn't even ask about it.

Sent by Scotay using Tapatalk.

Archived