Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

For those who can

yorkshireman

Hi     I have a aser aspire the small one, which i use if not at home ,being small and light.. It is 4 year old and as i was shutting it down

(while on battery) the battery failed just as it got to saving your settings. When i got home i put it on charge and the battery is dead.

When i try to use it via the mains i get the message sorry windows wont start ,choose  safe mode or last setting that worked and it will start in --- seconds. so i choose  ,the aser mono comes on , then back to sorry wont start choose again .then same same ..Anyone

know how to get it working ,I have the windows xp  discs and also have windows 7 discs for my other bigger lap top .But i am a complete novice when things go wrong .. Do i need to visit a repair shop or is it something a novice could deal with. Thanks for any info  pete

:SoWhat1:

Hello: Doubtful you can fix this yourself if choosing the "last good setting" (or whatever the wording is) doesn't get you to the Windows login screen. Having your battery fail, or any other crash, shouldn't corrupt Windows on one or several occurrences. Repeated hard crashes and a Windows reinstall is probably in your future. 

Good news is any data is probably still intact, so make sure any repair preserves that if it's an issue, ie don't reformat the drive as part of a Windows reinstall. 

The following suggestions may be of some help and probably won't hurt. I haven't found system recovery to work very well in Windows XP, Windows 8 does it automatically if there is need.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+fix+corrupt+windows+xp&aq=1&oq=How+to+fix+corrupt+Wind&aqs=chrome.2.57j0l3j62.7146j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+xp+system+recovery+console&aq=2&oq=Windows+XP+system+recovery&aqs=chrome.3.57j0l3j62l2.10046j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hi     I have a aser aspire the small one, which i use if not at home ,being small and light.. It is 4 year old and as i was shutting it down

(while on battery) the battery failed just as it got to saving your settings. When i got home i put it on charge and the battery is dead.

When i try to use it via the mains i get the message sorry windows wont start ,choose  safe mode or last setting that worked and it will start in --- seconds. so i choose  ,the aser mono comes on , then back to sorry wont start choose again .then same same ..Anyone

know how to get it working ,I have the windows xp  discs and also have windows 7 discs for my other bigger lap top .But i am a complete novice when things go wrong .. Do i need to visit a repair shop or is it something a novice could deal with. Thanks for any info  pete

:SoWhat1:

Sounds like a real problem, but on the small chance that it could be something simple, did you check your removable media to make sure your bios isn't trying to boot off of a CD/DVD or SD card?  Chances are, that isn't what is causing your issue, but would be great if it turned out to be a simple fix.

One possibility with windows machines is that your OS downloaded and installed an OS update and required a reboot.  During shutdown, it was writing registry changes and the abrupt dead battery shut off caused a faulty registry edit.  You could try to create a Linux rescue CD and then try some maintenance like chkdsk.  

You could fix the master boot record or you could just boot it from your xp disc and then reinstall windows xp on it from scratch.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_repair_fix_master_boot_record_recovery_console/

Of course if you install windows xp on it from scratch you would lose any data held on the device,if you install windows 7 on it then your data will be saved.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Before resorting to a full reinstall try and perform a "Windows Repair Install" from the installation CD. It restores back all the OS files but leaves your apps/data alone.

Its straightforward enough here is a guide.....

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Thanks pattaya warior,

I will try your fix as i have tried the rest but to no avail. i admit to being a tottal twat when it comes to computers

and the fancy phones out now but i never dabble with new things untill i have read and understand the manual. Trouble is i still dont understand 50% of what i have read on computers. If this doesent work i will get a man in to fix. thanks to all pete...

Thanks pattaya warior,

I will try your fix as i have tried the rest but to no avail. i admit to being a tottal twat when it comes to computers

and the fancy phones out now but i never dabble with new things untill i have read and understand the manual. Trouble is i still dont understand 50% of what i have read on computers. If this doesent work i will get a man in to fix. thanks to all pete...

Hang in there mate there are enough tech savvy guys on this board who will help.

I am going to be stuck at my screen most of the day if you get stuck post with what is on the screen and I will walk you through it......

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Pete

There are a few things that computer guys will do automatically and this can get you going or indicate the problem. When I get into trouble they start talking about registry files or master boot and I am lost straight away.

Before getting into these things you need to start your laptop but of course the "safety screen” comes up and you can’t go anywhere.

First thing you need to try is start your computer and push the ‘F8” key at the same time.  This should open “safe Mode” and you will get a few choices. Try running safe mode and once it loads use the program to close windows and restart. This  should correct the problem that the “dead battery” caused. 

safemode 002.jpg

If this doesn’t work, don’t panic. Load your Windows XP disc into your laptop and restart with the disc in . When it starts you will get the following screen.

RC 001.jpg

Choose the repair option and let the disc go through the motions.

These two actions will fix most simple problems. After that you need to startlearning more about PC’s .

Good Luck

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Hi there,

I would like to thank all of you who helped me to get my aser lap top up and running again. The thing that worked was to load my windows xp disc and then start the lap top. After that just did what it said and bingo up and running. I wonder now if i can put my windows 7 on in place of the xp without any risk as there is nothing i need to save and i prefer the windows 7. Thanks again for your info and help .i would never have fixed it on my ow :GoldenSmile1: n    pete 

Just a tip Pete - The writing above a persons picture is their title not their name ;) the guy was called Para and you called him pattaya warrior

Hi there,

I would like to thank all of you who helped me to get my aser lap top up and running again. The thing that worked was to load my windows xp disc and then start the lap top. After that just did what it said and bingo up and running. I wonder now if i can put my windows 7 on in place of the xp without any risk as there is nothing i need to save and i prefer the windows 7. Thanks again for your info and help .i would never have fixed it on my ow :GoldenSmile1: n    pete 

If what I said helped then I am happy its all about sharing knowledge and helping other BM's. BTW I have been working in IT since I left school which is a lot longer than I care to admit!

What model is the acer you might struggle a bit with Win 7. You could always install a nice new version of Linux......

Just a tip Pete - The writing above a persons picture is their title not their name ;) the guy was called Para and you called him pattaya warrior

Been called a LOT worse so was happy to let it ride!

Hi Yorkshireman: Try putting the Win7 DVD in the computer when XP is running. The install screen should appear, inviting you to upgrade or do a fresh Win7 installation. In your case you'd probably want to do an upgrade for simplicity. If an upgrade isn't possible, you will be prompted to do a fresh install. The links below are probably more than most want to know about how to do this.

Congratulations on getting your XP install repaired. Although Microsoft catches a lot of flack for their operating systems, probably everything in Windows can be repaired, unlike some competing operating systems. Microsoft engineers can fix corrupt hard drives, replace major Windows components missing after repeated power outages with resulting computer crashes, etc.  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

https://www.google.com/search?q=Which+versions+of+Windows+Xp+upgrade+to+Windows+7%3F&aq=f&oq=Which+versions+of+Windows+Xp+upgrade+to+Windows+7%3F&aqs=chrome.0.57.15403j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Archived